Discussion thread: A2 dumb LED rings - (Onion Ring)

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys the 5mm are Warm White not Neutral White, so it's 3500K and below.

The Sharp CRI (83-85) rated LEDs are here! I had to raise them close to the lens for maximum flood. I am not sure how well the reflector works with the LEDs when lowered, I will try tomorrow when I shorten the leads.

The domed LED is a 3 parallel die 0.5W 150mA 35Lumens. Mounted on the Onion Ring it will be severely under-driven. Not sure how this affects the CRI. There is a wide range of color temperature selection. The flat top PLCC2 LED is a regular 20mA 5 Lumens, available in 3000K and 3500K.

I tried them with the incan bulb, whoaaa I must say the color temperature is very close. The PLCC2 shown here is 3500K and domed LED is 4000K. I let the pictures do the talking, beamshots tomorrow.

sharp3i.jpg

sharp2.jpg

sharp1.jpg

Last edited:

Machete God

Enlightened
My Onion Ring arrived yesterday, so here's my tale and some pictures.

I ordered the LEDs without koala's prepping, as it looked simple enough to do. It is, provided you have the right tools!

Upon pulling it out, I realised there was no way I was going to get my hammer drill to hold a 5mm LED so that I could file away the skirting around it (the LED). You should have better luck with an impact drill ;)

To cut a long story (involving an angle grinder) short, I finally turned to my Leatherman key-chain tool for my filing and cutting needs...

4995785636_b2436ae0be_z.jpg

This is all you need to prepare your LEDs for the Onion Ring. It might not be the best tools for the job, though :whistle:

I dare say I did a pretty okay job, but it took me close to an hour for a set of 3 LEDs :ohgeez:

I tried the white LEDs first. For some reason, the beam was dimmer than the original white LEDs of my A2. So I prepared and then tried the green ones.

Here's a white wall shot of the green LEDs, the A2 was about a metre away from the wall.

4995177517_2e702b7698_z.jpg

Conclusions:
- 5mm LEDs won't fit into the drill chuck of Bosch Rotary Hammers
- Leave the legs of the LED until you've finished filing, they're a great help in holding on to the LED
- I think I like the 'bio-hazard' beam pattern of the original LEDs better... perhaps if I altered the height of the LEDs... [EDIT] altering the height doesn't make much of a difference, it's the focus of the LEDs that matter, and there's no way of changing that without trimming material off the LED dome

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened
Koala, very nicely done! I prepped a few sets of LEDs and put in my first Onion Ring today, and everything fit/went together/worked perfectly. You have put together a great product.

I made a little PVC jig for trimming the legs. Just a base with a 5mm hole and a little bead with two holes, about 3.9mm thick. Just push gently down on the bead and trim with a diagonal cutting ... voila 4mm on the dot.

IMG_2232s.jpg

I dare say I did a pretty okay job, but it took me close to an hour for a set of 3 LEDs :ohgeez:

Oh man, that's brutal. I'd happily to trim up to ~10 sets of LEDs on my lathe for anyone. Totally gratis of course. :) The only caveat is, the cut might be off center by a few thou. To get every one perfectly centered ... :shakehead ... I'm not a machinist, and I don't have that kind of time.
Otherwise, the result is a nice clean cut, and I can crank them out pretty quick. Anyone interested, just shoot me a PM.

LEDdiagram.jpg

IMG_2233s.jpg

And again, Koala.... :twothumbs:clap:

computernut

Enlightened
I wasn't a big fan of the amber LEDs due to the shape of the beam. Tonight I sanded them down to make the beam more diffuse and now they're perfect. I still think the Yellow/Green LEDs are a nicer colour but too dim with the stock ring. I might have to track down some Y/G LEDs now.

Machete God

Enlightened
Koala, very nicely done! I prepped a few sets of LEDs and put in my first Onion Ring today, and everything fit/went together/worked perfectly. You have put together a great product.
+1

I made a little PVC jig for trimming the legs. Just a base with a 5mm hole and a little bead with two holes, about 3.9mm thick. Just push gently down on the bead and trim with a diagonal cutting ... voila 4mm on the dot.
That looks handy indeed, kudos for your inventiveness!

Oh man, that's brutal. I'd happily to trim up to ~10 sets of LEDs on my lathe for anyone. Totally gratis of course. :) The only caveat is, the cut might be off center by a few thou. To get every one perfectly centered ... :shakehead ... I'm not a machinist, and I don't have that kind of time.
Otherwise, the result is a nice clean cut, and I can crank them out pretty quick. Anyone interested, just shoot me a PM.
That's a mighty generous offer! Other CPFers in the 'states may benefit from your generosity, but I won't be taking you up on it. I live halfway across the planet and an hour is much quicker than a month for a round trip! Although, it would probably be worth the time if I sent all my remaining LEDs at once. Hmm...

Anyway, I've "fine-tuned" my filing skills to take under 15 minutes for a set, and I don't particularly mind taking the time to file them. "Fine-tuned" because the results aren't particularly pleasing to look at when I do them that quick, but it doesn't seem to harm the beam or the LED in any way. Also, I've taken to carrying a packet with me and bringing them out to file whenever my hands are free since I always have the Leatherman with me. Although inevitably, questions get asked on why I would be filing LEDs... so I bring out my A2 to show off the latest colour in it at the moment :D

That's a very professional looking result! If anyone is worried that the 0.015 offset might cause the LEDs to possibly not fit into the reflector holes, bear in mind that SureFire's stock LEDs are not filed down at all. Koala's LEDs are just a tad too big to fit through without being filed down, and any 5mm LED filed to look like the one in ejot's picture will definitely fit.

I wasn't a big fan of the amber LEDs due to the shape of the beam. Tonight I sanded them down to make the beam more diffuse and now they're perfect. I still think the Yellow/Green LEDs are a nicer colour but too dim with the stock ring. I might have to track down some Y/G LEDs now.
I'm also looking for Y/G, could you kindly let me know if you manage to find some! :thanks:

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
Koala, you're a genius! Those machine sockets makes swapping LEDs so easy! I went to a local electronics parts shop and bought some Y/G, and white LEDs. I sanded down the skirts and tried them out. The Y/G is more on the yellow side than the stock SF ones and once sanded down for diffusion are way too dim. The white ones on the other hand are fairly bright but I haven't sanded them all the way down yet. The colour of the white is very cold but they aren't blue LEDs coated in yellow phosphors so it doesn't have the angry blue rings of the stock SF ones. So it's going to be fun shopping around for 5mm LEDs to experiment with.

Thanks Koala for your hard work!

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Koala - How are the Sharp High CRIs coming along? Did the under-driving affect the CRI? Did shortening the leads work? If not, do the tall leads cause a shadow in the incan's beam? Which LED domed/undomed works better in the A2 so far?

Koala said:
I'll let the pictures do the talking, beamshots tomorrow.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Koala - How are the Sharp High CRIs coming along?

Sorry no time to do anything to them yet. I don't know how well they will be accepted because they are all flood and not focused so it's actually quite dim. I also need to find something with long leads to attach them to if they are to be supplied.

I also changed my post above to "CRI rated" instead of "High CRI", because in my opinion, High CRI should be reserved for LEDs in the range of 90s. If I address these 83-85 CRI rated LEDs as High CRI then it would be misleading.

I will work on them again after serving batch two.

Hey koala

How would the onion rings deal with an A2 running on two AW IMR 16340s (max. 4.2V each)?

From the first post... (i'm not liable for, if your using onion rings or rechargeable with your SF A2)
A2 dumb LED rings (Onion Ring)
Quick Specs
1) Linear constant current regulation, 3 individual channel.
2) Adjustable output 2-38mA per LED via trimpot.
3) Accepts Rechargeable Lithium-Ion.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Aw, sheesh.. I skimmed through both this and the sales post, and searched for 'IMR' and '16340' in vain.:ohgeez:Sorry for not reading properly.

I'm in for three onion rings in the next run :)

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
For the guys who mix & match LEDs. How do you differentiate between them when you take them out? :confused:

I would love to experiment with different color combinations, but am afraid I will never get the colors in the right bag after I start mixing them.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a set of permanent color marker and mark the base of the LED according to the emitter color. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For the guys who mix & match LEDs. How do you differentiate between them when you take them out? :confused:

I would love to experiment with different color combinations, but am afraid I will never get the colors in the right bag after I start mixing them.

Machete God

Enlightened

A button cell makes testing the colour quick and easy even if I manage to get them mixed up, I use a 2025 or 2032 :twothumbs This method may be over-driving the LEDs though. Is it? (the cells are 3.0V each)

MakeNoobslookNoob

Newly Enlightened
Koala

Any chance of you doing a hybrid of your Onion Ring and the flashing/light modes that Aviatrix had?

That would likely be the Holy Grail for the A2.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible but not anytime soon. I am working on something else for the A2, I will post a prototype if the solution is viable otherwise we jump straight to the rings you mention.