Dive Rite's 10W HID VS. OMS 10W HID

ScubaSnyder

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
OMS 10W HID light hers a piture $800+
hidflash.jpg

Specs:
For 2006/2007 OMS[SIZE=-1]®[/SIZE] introduces a newly engineered (2) part Phantom 10w HID light (canister and battery) and the smallest 10w HID Flashlight in the world!
The new Phantom two part dive light has a completely redesigned Ultra Compact, mil spec hard coat anodized head with a new captured O-Ring assembly in the lens area and (4) titanium screws to hold down the bezel. The light head can be held in your hand or you can affix the optional Goodman Handle (Fig. 1) or mount to a helmet.
Perhaps one of the biggest changes is implementation of a patent pending PCB that is easily field repairable, incorporates a high reliability magnetic reed switch and a 50 degree C thermal cutoff switch. The actuation switch now has a replaceable high strength Nylon lockdown screw to prevent accidental turn-on. The high reliability abrasion resistant cord system with captured O-Rings has been implemented to dramatically reduce the possibility of seal or cord failure.
The new 10w HID Mil Spec hard coat anodized flashlight (Fig. 2) is the smallest of its kind in the world and incorporates (6) High energy density Lithium non-rechargeable CR123A batteries. The overall length of the flashlight is only 7.58" and maximum diameter is 2.45". This light like the (2) part Phantom incorporates a similar PCB, magnetic reed switch and thermal cutoff.
Both lights incorporate new high energy density Lithium battery technology designed for underwater applications.
[SIZE=-1]Phantom HID Flashlight[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]L10wFL[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10 W HID[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]126 minutes
1.5Ah batteries[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1000 hrs. [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]450 Lum. [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Fixed [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]6 degrees [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]5 sec.[/SIZE]
From~~http://www.omsdive.com/lights.html

Here is Dive Rites 10W HID $360
diverite10wattbackup.jpg

Features
Dive Rite's 10W HID Hand-held Light, featuring the SunSpot HID fixed-focus beam, produces 500 Lumens of illumination with convenience of a flashlight and the performance of a HID canister light!. This travel-size torch is only 8? long, 1.8? in diameter and requires eight AA size batteries of 1.5 volts each. Average burn time is approximately 3-hours with Energizer brand disposable lithium batteries and about 1.5-hour using other brands of consumer grade disposable alkaline batteries.
The Dive Rite's 10W HID Hand-held Light is easy to operate underwater ? even with gloves on ? thanks to the no-slip grip handle and twist-on activation.
They are both 10W HID Similar But the Dive Rite light Defiantly has a lower price. If anyone has dealt with either of these lights please let me know which light produces a more concentrated beam.

monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this OMS deserves a bump :bumpit:

So anyone actually own one of these? I see some pretty good reviews:

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=5609&sc=1002&ac=d

Runs on 6 x CR123a which makes it seem a bit like a SF M6 HID. I would like one these but I wouldn't spend that much on a 10W HID which, lets face it will be made obsolete when Luxeon release the single die 500lm LED or Cree release the 1000lm LED.

K

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic, but the OMS L191 looks strangely familiar...

monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic, but the OMS L191 looks strangely familiar...

I'm sure I read that McGizmo actually sold the design to them so don't worry it's not just a ripoff.