Divers please recommend a good dive light.

aceo07

Enlightened
What is a good dive rated light? The flashlight isn't for me as I don't dive. So I'm depending on someone with experience to recommend something that they've liked.

I would like to have the following requirements,
1. Uses common batteries, AA or C. (not bulky)
2. Decent runtime
3. Not too expensive. Sub $80-90
4. Luxeon if possible

Thanks for any recommendations.

(I had another thread, but it's now buried somewhere and I can't find it.)

aceo07

Enlightened
Are there any sites that do runtime tests on the lights that have been mentioned? I know that flashlightreviews.com has reviews, but not really on dive lights.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
IANAD but The Tektite Splashlight LS is supposedly highly recommended as an emergency dive light.

It's a cheap (~$35), tiny, simple, robust plastic, CR123 luxeon light which gives 4+ of usable light. It's not very bright and has a crap beam, but could come in handy underwater if your main divelight fried.

Have a look at Quickbeam's review: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/tektite_tsl_ls.htm

JanCPF

Enlightened
aceo07,

The type of divelight one would aquire, highly depends on the type of diving one would like to undertake. Where I come from we dive on (and inside) wrecks with a water visibility of usually about 3-9 feet. In this case your primary divelight should be at least in the 300-500 lumen range, with a beam angle of about 10-30 deg. Anything weaker than that is considered either a beginners light or a backup light. If you can't afford a 300-500 lumen light (35-50 watt halogen or 10-18 watt HID) then your best bet would be a smaller light with a very narrow beam to cut through the water. The UK SL6 is a very good contender in that category as well as Pelican Super Sabrelight. The former is a little heavier and more bulky, but you wont nitice it in the water and the output is quite a bit higher. You said that you wanted a LED light, so maybe the the new Recoil series from Pelican might be a good choise. However I haven't seen or tried any of them, so I can't really tell if they will do the job.

If however one would only dive in places with good to excelent visibility, one could get along with less light, and a slightly wider beam angle on the smaller lights, should be ok or even preferable. In the case of good viz. and daytime diving, the only purpose of a divelight would be to bring out the colors of the marine life you are looking at. At nighttime however, it would also serve as navigation light, so in this case the beam angle should not be to narrow.

Sorry for rambling on about this, but what I'm trying to say is this: If you want a divelight that is good in any dive condition, it should be at least 300-500 lumen with a not too narrow beam angle (like 10-30 deg). Unfortunately you can't get one for $80 so you should choose according to the type of diving undertaken. To sum it up:

Bad viz. daytime or nighttime with 30-100 lumens: Get a very narrow beam profile (5 deg.).

Excelent viz. daytime with 30-100 lumens: Again get a very narrow beam profile (5 deg.) to be able to overcome the blue spectrum at greater deapths, when you point the light at something.

Excelent viz. nighttime with 30-100 lumens: Slightly wider beam angel would be good (10-20 deg.).

Any dive condition with 300-500 lumens: 10-30 deg. will be fine.

I know this wasn't much of a specific recomendation (sorry about that) but please bear in mind, that there is no such a thing as "too much light" when you are under water.

Jan

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know much about divelights but there is the UK C8 eled for about ~70+shipping.
I think it used 8C cells and claims to use a 6watt LED but I think it is using either a 5watt luxeon or 3watt luxeon and driving it hard. Perhaps someone with one of them will chime in and tell you if it is suitable.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Check out the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED. 170 lumens on high. 12+ hours runtime on eight C cells. Waterproof to 100 meters. $95.00 at www.brightguy.com

It also doubles as a good emergency light above ground.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I'm only a sport diver and so maintain minimum personal gear (I rent my tanks, weights, special gear).

Among the things I *do* have of my own and carry with me on dive trips is a personal light used for looking into caves, wrecks, holes and such, not diving *into* them...a UK SL4. Small, drops in a pocket, nice beam quality, great throw (needed since I only look in).

It's an incandescent 4 "C" cell. About $30 I think...

Latest posts