Diving flashlight?

AnoyingOrange

AnoyingOrange

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I'm new to this forum :wave:
I would like to buy a flashlight for diving, it must be waterproof and I need a good battery autonomy, let's say about ten hours.
What do you recommend? LED, HID, Halogen, or what?

D

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!! :)

I think you meant runtime when you said battery autonomy. If that's the case, and LED option could yield 10+ hours of output. This brings up another question though, how bright do you want it? There are other issues such as runtime, size, weight, etc.

DM51

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
Welcome to CPF, AnoyingOrange :)

We have a separate sub-forum for Dive Lights, so I'll move your thread there.

350xfire

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering, why 10 hours? What's the purpose of this light? Please give us more info and we can help better. How bright? Size constraints???

AnoyingOrange

AnoyingOrange

Newly Enlightened
Well I said ten hours because I like to have the possibility of long runtime just in case, but four hours would be OK.
It must be portable, may be about six inches (fat or thin, diameter doesn't matter).
I like very much a flashlight called "Fandyfire C10 CREE XML" from Dealextreme, it says waterproof but I will seal it better if I buy it. I had a Fenix TK70 and when I submerged it while diving, it worked for fifteen minutes and then poop... it became a big and expensive brick that I have to throw to the recycle bin just because I didn't modify it while it was new to make it waterproof.

Klem

Klem

Enlightened
Where we are going with the 10 hour run-time issue is that brightness, run-time and battery capacity are interrelated. A 6 inch torch is not very big and implies a fixed battery capacity, with say 7 hours will not be a very bright primary dive torch.

Can I suggest you imagine how many dives you intend doing before you can access a charger, or swap with spare batteries. 10 hours is a lot of recreational diving and I'm sure there will be a time lag between dives somewhere when you can recharge. With me I figure on about 2-3 dives (one day), or 2 hours constant on 'High'.

Packhorse

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a PA light that has a XR-E version and a XM-L version. It takes 2x18650's (2400ma/17Wh) or 2x26650's(4000ma/29Wh)

So lets assume the XR-E version is 3.5 watt. 29Wh/3.5w=8 hour run time with 26650's
XM-L version will struggle to get to 3 hours.

Either way its not a bad light and you could always have a spare set of batteries assuming you are not planning 3+ hour run times.

O

onionbobo

Newly Enlightened
looking for a diving light with 1 x 18650, 400-700 lm strength? Any quality light under $300 USD?