DIY PressureTesting of lights

fazerfreak

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

i couldn't find a thread about Pressure-testing so here is what i´ve done :)
What you need:
1 big milk can.
1 Car tire valve
1 strong cargostraps
1 bicyclepump
some silicone or similar for a gasket
and a drill.

1. make some gasket on the lid, drill a narrow hole for the valve.

blogger-image--1022079646.jpg

put the light you want in it an fill i maximum with water.
blogger-image--1434661070.jpg

Put the lid wile holding the valve open so air gets out.
Strapp it up and start pumping air in it.
blogger-image--892458687.jpg

Since there should not be mutch air in the milk-can (maximum filled with water) only little air is needed to get the pressure in the tank.
i get mine up to just above 4bar (35m max) before it starts leaking.:thumbsup:
blogger-image--1313565380.jpg

Disclamer:
Use this info at your own risk.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of using an air pump put the garden hose on it. I get 4.5 bar from mine and I have seen more than 7 on others.

jspeybro

Enlightened
What on earth are you pressure testing a light for,if you fancy diving buy a dive light.:shakehead

well, some people enjoy making dive lights themselves for various reasons, because what's available on the market is not what they are looking for or way too expensive, for learning a few things regarding LEDs, batteries, electronics, mechanics or just for the fun of it.

I find the original post actually very interesting. If you make a light for yourself you can probably live with it when a light floods, but if you sell a light that you made, your customer would like a light that is actually water tight, and then the only way to know is to test it.

fazerfreak

Newly Enlightened
Instead of using an air pump put the garden hose on it. I get 4.5 bar from mine and I have seen more than 7 on others.
Thanx for the tip, i´ll have to look into that.

As "jspeybro" says some people like to make their own diving lights or rebuild/service them ( broken switches etc), it is then nice to check the light without expensive electronics , without wasting a dive on it.

Since this is a "Dive lightning" sub forum i would think that other have interesting solutions to :)

sharkbite

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the tip, i´ll have to look into that.

As "jspeybro" says some people like to make their own diving lights or rebuild/service them ( broken switches etc), it is then nice to check the light without expensive electronics , without wasting a dive on it.

2nd that...

also - if it happens to fail the pressure test - since you are likely to have used fresh water, the electronics will probably survive the dunking !!!!