DLC Coating

hornady708

Enlightened
Not really sure if this is the correct location on the forum,, but does anyone here have any experience with DLC? Can this be done on any metal or only certain ones? Looking to get it done to a light or two.

Thanks

Jonster

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and this will be my first post!:twothumbs

Not sure what your looking to get out of a DLC coating but I wouldn't have thought it appropriate for lights?

Its basically an extremely hard coating that has great wear properties.
If you tend to abuse your torches then might help keep them looking good.
Should be noted however that this is a very thin coating which only really works with frictional wear. Therefore it might dent fairly easily.

If you just want a good look then I'm sure there are many other options out there including straight forward anodising.
Also some DLC quotes I've had for stuff at work have been phenomenally expensive. :poof:

Hope my first post is useful!!

Jon

Greg G

Enlightened
I build racing engines on occasion, and talked to Calico Coatings about DLC coating the thrust bearing on an engine the other day.

The tech there told me that the process involves very high temperature, ~1000F, and that the bearing would melt.

It may be possible to do some types of aluminum, I don't know.

Anyway, maybe I shed a little light on the process.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights which are made out of aluminum don't cater to any coating other than chrome or anodizing. They can't handle the heat.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have two DLC coated SS Exolion and they are tough like drill bit. Cost me $250 just for the coating of the two.

P1000563.jpg

P1000565.jpg