Do I have abnormal eyes ?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichia 219C isn't that good a LED for high-CRI stuff. It's not surprising you find it a bit blue. Personally, I don't find it much better than a standard HI Cree emitter.

If you want a better LED, try a Nichia 219B (or 219A) in 4000K. It has a much more pleasing tint. Less efficient, though, and maybe hard to find nowadays.

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
a light I suggest you consider is an Emissar D4 with a 3000k SST, as far as off the shelf lights with high CRI options is concerned..

I think an AAA light is not suitable for your application. I believe you will be happier with the lumen levels and battery life from an 18650 light... but NOT in 5000k, way too blue :)

That's a hit ^^
Actually not the Emisar D4 but a P60 Drop-in for my Seraph SP-6 equiped with a triple SST20 3000K 95CRI is already on my shopping list as well as maybe Fireflies E07/ROT66-G2 or an other Convoy S12/S2+ with the 2700K version.
But I would maybe like to try an Optisolis at 5000K later (maybe just to have an other flashlight in stock) to directly compare with the 219C.

But as you sayed it so well, very difficult to find at a brand new commercial product.

EDIT :
The Nichia 219C isn't that good a LED for high-CRI stuff. It's not surprising you find it a bit blue. Personally, I don't find it much better than a standard HI Cree emitter.

I do agree, the Warrior X (XHP35 maybe HI?) I had was even a bit better because "just" greenish but no specific blue tint.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Based on several of your threads (and especially your discussion with @jon_slider) I do think you may really like the Optisolis emitters.

Subjectively, we seem to be appreciating similar factors in the light quality.

I would suggest however, that if you are limited to a single choice of CCT to try among those, that you check out their 4000K bin instead of 5000K (or higher)

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest however, that if you are limited to a single choice of CCT to try among those, that you check out their 4000K bin instead of 5000K (or higher)

I think I'm gonna go for some others low CCTs first, then I could give all my attention to higher ones. So probably more than just a single choice.
The question will be "where are those Optisolis lights ?", but it's not the matter for the moment.

Each thing at its time. ^^

paikeam

Newly Enlightened

I have some questions guys :

1) I know that on the colors the upper square is the real color seen by the sun and the down one is the same color seen by the LED source (approximatively).
But what says the number underneath those ? Is it the intensity of the color seen by the LED ? What number is better ?

2) What are the wavelength of R9, R10, R11 and R12 ? In this case is the R12 so high because of the peak indicated by the " 1 " ?
So the wavelength of R12 is 450nm ?

1606Justin

Newly Enlightened
If I were you, I'd go for a check-up. It doesn't cost a fortune and if there is something wrong with your vision, you'll receive proper treatment or start wearing glasses. Not that big of a deal.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have some questions guys :

1) I know that on the colors the upper square is the real color seen by the sun and the down one is the same color seen by the LED source (approximatively).
But what says the number underneath those ? Is it the intensity of the color seen by the LED ? What number is better ? The top is as seen by an ideal light source of the same color. This but is important because CRI compares against the same color. It is the reason why a candle, incandescent light, and the sun are all CR100 even though they render colors quite different. The bottom number is simply the difference between the ideal and the actual. Lower number the better.
2) What are the wavelength of R9, R10, R11 and R12 ? In this case is the R12 so high because of the peak indicated by the " 1 " ?
So the wavelength of R12 is 450nm
These have nothing to do with wavelength and are just color samples the test is based around. The fact that R12 has a large error is coincidence in this case not because it has a large spike. You can end up with the same error by having too little.