• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Do I need a new McGizmo?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Aleph Mule, nickel-plated aluminum. No optics at all. Got it (oil slick version)
2. Arc6 on a McGizmo PD Pak. Need it
3. Aleph Sundrop XR-U. Convex lense for slightly tighter beam, still not a thrower though. Got it
4. McLux3-T. The twisty-only version of the PD-S. Short, but requires two hands and it's rarer than hens' teeth. Guess I have to pass on this one..
5. PD-S. Got it
6. PD-XR19. Need it
7. Aleph Haiku. Got it
8. Lunasol 20 on a PD Clicky Pak. Slightly longer than your standard Lunasol 20. Got it, both bodies
9. The McGizmonster. Obviously out of the scope of your pocketable-EDC search. NEED IT !
QUOTE]

What I REALLY need is to have them all at home for photos! Have Al PD-S out for coating, LS20 out for coating, Ti PD Mule for recoating, LT27 out for new LED (& amp bump).

fyrstormer

Banned
I agree with you both. I love my LS20. Doesn't make my pockets bigger though ;)

Is a Sundrop PD or clickie? Have looked through the threads and can't seem to find it. A new ARC6, clicky pack and postage is close to a Sundrop price and not sure I could chop the head off the LS20 ....... Figuratively speaking of course ;)

what about a clickie with arc6 head if I can find one? My search for a mule is off to slow start.
An Arc6-C wouldn't be any shorter than a PD-S, because the PD Clicky Paks are a half-inch longer than the normal PD Paks. Hence my suggestion to use a PD Clicky Pak with your LS20 head, since it's already too long for you to EDC comfortably, and use the shorter PD Pak with an Arc6 head, which is the smallest PD head that has a focused beam.

A PD Mule would be even shorter (though only slightly), but its beam is completely unfocused, so it's no good for seeing anything in the distance. Whether that matters to you, I dunno.

fyrstormer

Banned
1. Aleph Mule, nickel-plated aluminum. No optics at all. Got it (oil slick version)
2. Arc6 on a McGizmo PD Pak. Need it
3. Aleph Sundrop XR-U. Convex lense for slightly tighter beam, still not a thrower though. Got it
4. McLux3-T. The twisty-only version of the PD-S. Short, but requires two hands and it's rarer than hens' teeth. Guess I have to pass on this one..
5. PD-S. Got it
6. PD-XR19. Need it
7. Aleph Haiku. Got it
8. Lunasol 20 on a PD Clicky Pak. Slightly longer than your standard Lunasol 20. Got it, both bodies
9. The McGizmonster. Obviously out of the scope of your pocketable-EDC search. NEED IT !
QUOTE]

What I REALLY need is to have them all at home for photos! Have Al PD-S out for coating, LS20 out for coating, Ti PD Mule for recoating, LT27 out for new LED (& amp bump).
The reason I put a McGizmo PD Pak on my Arc6 was to improve the grip. If you already have an Arc6 and you're not afraid of getting parts coated, you could skip the McGizmo PD Pak retrofit and just have the Arc6's PD Pak coated with something that has a lot of friction. Iridium vapor-deposit comes to mind, but I have no idea if that's even remotely affordable. There's gotta be something that is affordable, though.

SFfanman

Enlightened
I agree with you both. I love my LS20. Doesn't make my pockets bigger though ;)

Is a Sundrop PD or clickie? Have looked through the threads and can't seem to find it. A new ARC6, clicky pack and postage is close to a Sundrop price and not sure I could chop the head off the LS20 ....... Figuratively speaking of course ;)

what about a clickie with arc6 head if I can find one? My search for a mule is off to slow start.

Looks like you already have a great base with the LS20. Fyrestormer has a great point about the Mule being great for close up, but not very useful for distance shooting. The Arc6 looks like a viable option from an outsider's point of view, however, I would use much caution before going that route. Check out this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/269467&referrerid=89158

Good Luck!

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
Looks like you already have a great base with the LS20. Fyrestormer has a great point about the Mule being great for close up, but not very useful for distance shooting. The Arc6 looks like a viable option from an outsider's point of view, however, I would use much caution before going that route. Check out this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/269467&referrerid=89158

Good Luck!

Hmm. Just been reading that. Quite sad. I have a nice Doug Speck Firefly III from before it all went wrong for him. Seems all of the great makers suffer from enthusiastic buyers in the end - Lummi, Sabrewolfe, TiFli, Draco...... Just need to have them.

These McGizmo's are the bees knees though (Sorry American Friends - too much colloquial English!)

I fancy a Mule but if too costly will go with a new Sundrop.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Arc6s turn up in the Marketplace and can be found floating in the Bay of E on occasion. Might want to set up an automatic search for "arc6 flashlight" and see what you get.

If I had to venture a guess as to what's going on with Arc, I'd guess that they've hit the end of their current manufacturing run and are repairing and selling the ones that got sent back with defects while they wait for the next manufacturing run to finish. This is my guess because I bought two, about a year apart, and the first one is #4160 while the second one is number #0040 and has what is pretty clearly a prototype bezel. But it's all speculation, I have no "inside scoop" or anything like that. Either way I think it's a safe bet things will sort themselves out in the next few months, with one easily-guessed outcome or another.

Anyway, if you can manage to get your hands on a functioning Arc6 head and put it to use the way I described, I think you'll be quite pleased with it. Failing that, the SunDrop is the next-shortest option, and fitted with a Haiku light engine it should do quite well as long as you're not using it as a searchlight. The Haiku XR-E light engine might have better throw on account of the emitter's narrower beam, but I'll have to defer to other people's firsthand experience on that point.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
One more size comparison pic...

P1010099.jpg

The McLux III PD (Darkest one in picture.) is , as you can see, a bit shorter than the LS20, but still has the reflector you are used to. They come up on BST once in a while, or you could do a Want to Buy for one. Easily updated, (This one has a K2 done by Milkyspit) and aluminum, so maybe not as pricey. Just a thought. :) Fyrstormer- your McLux Twisty is a two hander? Lots of breaking in needed, but mine is now as smooth as my LS20... Well worth the time!

Last edited:

SFfanman

Enlightened
Scout24, that is such a sick coating on the McLux iii PD. What kind is it? Also, I am a little confused, :sssh: is that my LS20 in your lineup or did you pick up a new one? :devil: Great photo btw.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is a Haiku, and my Sapphire is always on my key chain. I find these to be perfect for me. I own several McGizmo's too.

scout24

Flashaholic
SFFan- No, that was taken yesterday... that LS20 was my first McGizmo, I had sold it and was in the right place at the right time when it came back up for sale... Coating on the McLux is black chrome, reminds me of my Snap On wrenches, but so much smoother... :naughty:

fyrstormer

Banned
It's interesting to see what different lighting can do. Your nickel-plated Aleph Mule is distinctly different from the titanium lights, whereas in my picture it's almost impossible to tell aside from the lack of machining lines on its surface.

As for the black-chrome PD-S...I just wanna take a bite out of it, it looks so good. :devil:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for me, I only have the PD-S and Mule Ti PD. They complement each other and the size and output serves my needs thus far........Then again a Ti PD-S will make my day.:)

paulr

Flashaholic
Original 1-level Sundrop is still my absolute favorite. The even, flood, high CRI beam is just beautiful, and the UI is as nonsense-free as any light can possibly be. There are some "neutral white" leds showing up in other lights that are nowhere near as satisfying. I have one and I think it's the typical phosphor with emission spikes except shifted towards warm, but still without good CRI. The Sundrop makes everything look the way nature intended. It's true it has no range but I don't care. One of these days I'll have the $$$ for a Lunasol but for now I can do ok without it.

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
I found a mint Mule Ti PD Mizer.

Very pleased.

Finger still hovering for a Sundrop though

Depends on some eBay activity next week. But will look to ordering one from Don in June.

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
My Ti Mule arrived today - Redeos thanks!

Its just what I was after. McGizmo quality and philosophy and just a little shorter :)

Sundrop soon though. I love these lights!