do-it-yourself diffuser for NiteCore D10

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is nice varuscelli. i just cant seem to find any translucent containers or caps in my home... argh... im gonna run down to a bigger mart to get a bottled drink with one of these caps :ohgeez:

If you stop by any place where they do film processing, you could likely have them pull you out a couple from their trash or recycle bins. (And yeah, despite digital photography lots of folks still do drop film off at all the photo/mini-labs in town...;)).

As a perhaps helpful hint, I believe that most Fuji Film comes in the translucent cannisters (or it used to, in any case).

1dash1

Enlightened
Below is a slight variation on a theme. It's the original Costco water bottle top idea with a small tab for securing the diffuser via an SS split ring. (Note: The lanyard attached to the D10 is also home-made.)

This is a closeup showing the connection detail.

The finished diffuser works very well. (Note: A black elastic or nylon cord would have looked better.)

D10_03-1.jpg

Other diffusers that I've collected. My favorite is the one on the far right, it redirects a tremendous amount of light in 360 degrees. A mini-lantern! (Beam shots below.)

Beam shots against side wall, all taken @ f=8.0, 1/100 sec., ISO=400, D10 at max output.

(Click thumbnail photo to enlarge.)

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is all very well except that now I am in trouble with my dear wife.....ever since I read this thread I have been bothering all my wife's co-workers in her large office. Things like, "can I have a look at your drink bottle and perhaps have it when you are finished?" I have become a "refuse bin explorer", I got a feeling that there is a collection going on in the office......perhaps its because I don't shave everyday and search the bins that did it!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran across some aluminum foil style tape I'd been using in my attic and decided to cut a small square of it to use reflector style on the film canister diffuser I had been toying around with. The film canister thing works pretty well, but it really depends on how you're using it. if you hold it out in front of you, it's like of like holding a bare light bulb out it front of you, in that it lights things up and partially blinds you at the same time. :rolleyes:

I cut a small piece of the foil tape (reflective on both sides, roughly 1x1.5 inches) and stuck it to the film canister (covering about half of the cannister). With that, it throws a pretty nice diffused light away from the reflector but not right back into my eyes.

Just another variation on things.

080705-016a.jpg
080705-017a.jpg
080705-019a.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other diffusers that I've collected. My favorite is the one on the far right, it redirects a tremendous amount of light in 360 degrees. A mini-lantern! (Beam shots below.)

Beam shots against side wall, all taken @ f=8.0, 1/100 sec., ISO=400, D10 at max output.

(Click thumbnail photo to enlarge.)
This is great. I like to collect little plastic caps like that to use as wands for my flashlights. Lego and other kids toys are a great source for this, plus it's fun to destroy toys just to get a special little plastic piece for your lights.

I had never considered water bottle caps, though.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got around to making mine. I've got dozens of CostCo water bottles so cut mine out in a few minutes.

It does indeed fit perfectly. Best of all I can keep it on to protect the bezel from future dings as well.

Thanks for the great info here. :D

UPDATE: After a month of diffuser usage I appreciate this DIY tip more than ever.

Here are some great benefits of this diffuser cap:

1. The diffuser light is REALLY REALLY useful. I use it a lot. It spreads the beam out even further because the light is diffused around the bottle cap edge, at the bezel tips. This spreads out the beam to a very wide area, lighting up the immediate area really well.

2. The diffuser cap protects the lens from scratches when it's in a pocket.

3. The diffuser cap protects the bezel as well should it suffer a fall. The plastic fits right over the thing bezel lip, thus taking the brunt force of any fall.

4. The diffuser cap is really small, adds no significant length to the D10, thus making it no hassle to carry all the time.

This is one of the top reasons the D10 is such a fantastic EDC. Adding to this the ability to get trits and clips, makes it just about the ultimate EDC. :twothumbs

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've started collecting the CostCo water bottle caps for my D10s. After having used them for a week I can definitely say this is an awesome DIY solution.

I find myself using the diffuser half the time. So useful.

I was in the car with a buddy of mine, and I nonchalantly used my D10 to light up a magazine in the car. The diffuser was on the D10, and my buddy remarked out of the blue "dang that's a bright light!!" He grabbed his weak Maglite and showed how dim it was compared to my D10. It really impressed him, even with the diffuser on the D10.

sizzling7s I owe you a big THANK YOU!!!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up buying a six-pack of suitable water bottles to make sure I have my supply.....a word of warning, not all of these caps fit well. There are two types of caps that look identical, one with the numbers in it and one that is clean. The one that is clean and looks like it would make a better choice actually does not stay on my lights.....the one that has the numbers on it is the one that fits well......In my case, in the supermarket on the same shelf and stock, they had a mixture of two different caps on their six-packs of water......so have a good look before you walk out of the store :)

danreetz

Newly Enlightened
I made one of these diffuser caps from discount bottled water sold at K-Mart. I can confirm that they work well, and that they fit the Fenix L1P/L2P as well as the D10.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up buying a six-pack of suitable water bottles to make sure I have my supply.....a word of warning, not all of these caps fit well. There are two types of caps that look identical, one with the numbers in it and one that is clean. The one that is clean and looks like it would make a better choice actually does not stay on my lights.....the one that has the numbers on it is the one that fits well......In my case, in the supermarket on the same shelf and stock, they had a mixture of two different caps on their six-packs of water......so have a good look before you walk out of the store :)
in my experience all Kirkland water bottle caps fit. The ones I have are "clean" and do not have numbers in it. Just to clarify between CostCo 'Kirkland' brand water caps - which all seem to fit, versus non-CostCo water bottles, which you're describing.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
in my experience all Kirkland water bottle caps fit. The ones I have are "clean" and do not have numbers in it. Just to clarify between CostCo 'Kirkland' brand water caps - which all seem to fit, versus non-CostCo water bottles, which you're describing.

You are most likely right, mine are "Poland Spring" bottles.....

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update to this thread:

I found out the cap to the ethos water bottles sold at Starbucks fit the D10 very well. The cap is a bit deeper / taller than the kirkland water cap so it may stay on better as well.

I was very pleased to make this find. I love the DIY diffuser and use it a lot now.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made one of these diffuser caps from discount bottled water sold at K-Mart. I can confirm that they work well, and that they fit the Fenix L1P/L2P as well as the D10.

Yep - just grabbed a water bottle out of the trash and dropped it on my Fenix and it worked beautifully. Turned the brightness into a soft wash and cut out the glare from the oil and parts I was working on.

Good stuff. Now you've got me wanting to go wandering through Sprawlmart, Macguyvering bits and pieces. :nana:

-Trevor

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool stuff.
You can also order a FREE filter sample pack from LEE filters and make all kinds of filters for these and other flashlights.
Do a search for Lee filters and ask for a free sample.
Yaesumofo

mikel81

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I just so happened to be drinking a water with the same cap when I clicked that link. I guess I will be cutting up the cap when I am done with the water :)

jbviau

Enlightened
Ok, I've tried the water bottle cap, but how about a longer diffuser that spreads light around better? Have any of you tried the Fenix P2D's diffuser on the D10 or EX10?

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_38&products_id=339

The bezel diameters seem close enough based on published specs that it might fit (EX10=22 mm; P2D=21.5mm). I don't own a P2D, or I would check myself. Hopefully one of you owns both and can try this.