do-it-yourself diffuser for NiteCore D10

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
I have found that this method works for my d10 and an arrowhead water bottle cap

mikel81

Newly Enlightened
I have been meaning to get pictures up, but on labor day I was at my mom's house and found that the lid to a bottle of "I can't believe its not butter" spray fits perfectly on my Defender Infinity. It is clear blue and gives a nice beam. After I got home I checked all of our caps in the house. I found a lid to aussie brand hair spray that fits also. The best one I found was a lid for Ralph Lauren perfume, it is thick walled light blue plastic.
it
Any of these lids fit Nitecore D10/NDI/Gerber Infinity Ultra and probably many others.

I will try to get a picture up soon.

Edited to add pics:

f_ZZ482211FFm_326d4d4.jpg
f_ZZ2E477F62m_3e4ee1e.jpg

Last edited:

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
I just found a lid that worked this morning, it was already sitting on my desk waiting to be hacked apart. It appears to be exactly the same as the one in the OP, translucent with numbers stamped inside it. :twothumbs

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried your trick. I tried it to try to get rid of the awful Cree ring.

My D10 has an awful ring as well...why couldn't Nightcore use a decent reflector (see LightFlux). The diffuser idea works great; I'm using a Poland Spring cap.

Note I tried the cap from the 16.9oz and 1.5 L bottles. The small bottle fit the D10 perfectly; the 1.5L cap was a tiny bit too large...maybe it fits other lights???

FsTop

Enlightened
Just to make this a little easier for anyone else searching for a diffuser cap, here is a list of the water bottle caps that have been reported to fit the D10:
Kirkland - Costco
Target brand
Poland Spring - some
K-Mart discount bottled water
Ethos - Starbucks
Zephyrhills
Arrowhead
Classic Selection Spring Water - 7-11

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correction to my previous comment: Only some Poland Spring caps work, but it doesn't depend on the bottle size...it must have to do with different bottle manufacturers or at least molds.

If you want to know before opening the bottle, look at the top of the cap. If there are three ridges on the internal circumference, the cap will not fit. If there are no internal ridges, you're in luck.

Snarfblat

Newly Enlightened
This is a good tip, thanks. I bought a case of "Nestle Pure Life Naturally Fruit Flavoured Water Beverage" 500ml bottles at Costco (Canada), and the caps fit just right.

I found that large toenail-clippers do a good job of cleaning up the edges after cutting out the inner ring.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
where im from, i cant really find any of those translucent water bottle caps.. and my sis wouldnt let me have the caps from her many bottles of cosmetic products.. i was about to use a piece of plastic bag to wrap over the light when i struck on this idea.. and so gave birth to this DIY! :D
guess what material it is :p
P1050383.JPG

P1050393.JPG

Ta-Da!.............. It's silicon! :crackup: i cut it up from a handphone cover, tried various ways to glue it but it just wouldnt glued up.. tried epoxy, even fire (the whole thing just burnt while i was expecting it to melt :shrug:), finally super glue. if u guys have any idea what can glue them well, let me know :) i find that it is not a hassle to carry it around as it is so soft and i can just flatten it and bring around :D
P1050395.JPG

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand your question about what to use to glue silicone together. It sounds and looks like you did glue it together with the super glue.

In any case, I like your idea for a diffuser. It looks like you could tuck it away in your wallet if you don't need it. Where do you get this silicone material?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I don't understand your question about what to use to glue silicone together. It sounds and looks like you did glue it together with the super glue.

In any case, I like your idea for a diffuser. It looks like you could tuck it away in your wallet if you don't need it. Where do you get this silicone material?

i guess the dried superglue will crack open with some force exerted near the glued seams, so i am looking for a better or more permanent solution to glueing it well.

i bought a white silicon mobile phone cover and cut it up for this purpose. :D

Last edited:

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
You might be ale to join the edges with a fine tipped soldering iron. I'm sure if you want though someone would be willing to mail you a few diffusers that will fit for the cost of postage.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
ruriimasu what In the world did you do to your D10, twards the tail section right below the knurling.....is that paint or epoxy or what....

ruriimasu

Enlightened
ruriimasu what In the world did you do to your D10, twards the tail section right below the knurling.....is that paint or epoxy or what....

oh.. thats some GITD paint.. yeah.. i know its ugly.. :ohgeez: i will remove it one of these days when im not so lazy :p

hogger1

Newly Enlightened
I just dipped a bottle cap diffuser into some black Ritz dye. It didn't make it opaque but it did make it a little less added on looking to the light. I think it looks better. Give it a try easy and cheap.

flashlife

Enlightened
i guess the dried superglue will crack open with some force exerted near the glued seams, so i am looking for a better or more permanent solution to glueing it well.

i bought a white silicon mobile phone cover and cut it up for this purpose. :D

Sorry bub, silicone sticks to nothing but other silicone, and that not very well.
You best-bet glue is silicone caulk...the type which smells like vinegar (acetic acid) while curing.

Once cured, silicone won't melt, just burns, so soldering irons, etc don't work. That's why it was used as the ablative heat shield material by NASA, back in the day. Even then they used a silicone impregneted wire mesh so they could attach it to the spacecraft without adhesives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_reentry

While working as an engineer back in the 70's I inherited a project to find an adhesive that would stick to Dow Corning Sylgard silicone (similar to your diffuser material). The previous eng'r had tried for a year to make anything stick to the silicone. I worked on it, on and off for two years, then handed the project off to a new-guy engineer, who worked for another year on it. We never found a good adhesive for it, and Dow Corning said it was impossible. The acetic-acid/moisture curing silicones (like GE RTV112, and RTV108) worked the best, but not well enough for the industry.

Bummer...:shakehead

Burgess

Flashaholic
What an interesting thread here !

Thank you to everyone for your info.

:twothumbs
_

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
For those of you living in Sweden try the Ramlösa plastic bottle cap. A little aceton to remove the printing, trim down to the sealing ring and there you go. if the fit is too loose press inwards on the ring for a snugger fit. Works fine on both my D10 and my LF5XT.:twothumbs For other colors, try other brands (Coca Cola for red, etc.) as they are all basically the same size.

Last edited:

flashlife

Enlightened
The trick, especially with low power lights like the E01, is to find a cap that diffuses well but doesn't reduce the output too much. One of the best diffusers for non-exposed surfaces is the thin white plastic grocery bags that Target puts your goods in at the store.
I cut a sheet of it and lined the inner surface of the globe of a RR LED Lantern to smooth out the rings and measured 96% transmission, and great diffusion.
Of course, that thin plastic bag material isn't sturdy enough to make a diffuser-cap from, but if you find a clear cap that fits your light, line it with white Target bag material...that should work great.

I don't have an "after" pic, but here's the RR lantern before, with rings...
(photo courtesy of ledshoppe.com)
PICT1314.JPG