Do not purchase from Vapcell

Wurkkos

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know where to put this. Cheers and jeers won't allow me to post there I guess you need to be a supporting member to warm people away? So hopefully this doesn't get closed I'm not trying to break rules.

In Canada it's very difficult to find things like batteries. Due to HJKs tests (I in no way am claiming that HJK is in anyway responsible) I purchased 2 x 18500 and 2 x 21700 from Vapcell.
First issue was they would not combine shipping. Same warehouse same store. $9 for each pair. Even though 4 of either or 6 or 8 was only $9.
Second. 18500 were good. No complaints. The 21700s though came at 3.15 and 3.18 volts respectively. This obviously is a bad storage voltage and I immediately knew something was wrong when I went to charge them and the voltage shot up.
I ran each battery for a full charge/discharge/charge test on my IMAX b6 at 500ma using a clamp and 14amg wire for low res loses. Got under 4000mah on each (they were 5000mah 12A cells).
Also under a 500ma load, each battery instantly dropped to 3.75v. That's terrible. The new 18500 batteries I received held over 4v under the same load.
Threw them in a 3c mag with a 7218 bulb in it. Poor yellow output. Replaced them with a pair of 10 year old Sony vtc1s, and nice white bright light.
I informed them of all this including pictures of my IMAX B6 screen and all the issues. They basically told me the batteries needed to be sent to am independent lab for them to accept results and I probably used a different battery(calling me a liar). Which ok they don't know me. But overall poor experience and I hope no one else goes through it.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm not sure about budgetlightforum. I'm not a member of there. We just don't like the same type of lights.
As for what's wrong I'm pretty sure it's just because they were stored for a couple of years at 3.2 volts. The best cells in the world are going to be damaged from that. I tried to explain that to them. But they didn't seem to care.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have opened laptop packs 12 years old with cells at 2.5v.
and they were like new performers.
the big problem if this is the real vapcell you are dealing with is lack of care.
if it were me i would make a note on the transaction and go pull some stock to test.
yes i imagine most calls they get for such issues is customer error.
its the lack of care to ensure they are not selling from a bad batch that gets my concern.
i am also surprised there is no option to buy from a local company like 18650batterystore.com,illumn,lion wholesale,ect.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting experience. I've pulled apart quite a few laptop and drill batteries as well. My general findings have been if the batteries are below 3.3 volts or so, they usually have high resistance and degraded capacity. Not always though.
I bought from the official store on aliexpress. So I assume it's legitimate.
Yeah my concern is the same as yours. It's due to the fact that they seem to have no interest in my problem at all. Like I was very detailed in my testing and exactly what the issue was. And they basically told me that I could have used any battery from any place at any charge level and that my results / findings were not relevant. And they gave no mention whatsoever about the state of charge issue even though I mentioned it at least six times