Do you actually get regular use out of most or all of your nicer lights?

ven

Flashaholic
I have over the last few years given or sold many lights that i did not use. Either because i had similar or did not require as many dedicated ***** types or tint was too cool! As with mr walker, i too am a little apprehensive on using my custom c2 and m2 due to being probably close to $400 or higher in cost.....................to get beat up in work. They do get used, but walks, around house, or camping type uses.........and simply fun, not heavy use in contaminated areas. Why would i do that when say a sportac triple nichia at 160lm is enough and perfect for use(to name one). If lost,broke etc no bid deal! Replacing an m2 or c2 with cryos head and triad tail cap would not go down well!

Capolini

Banned
Good question. I think a lot of people[probably the majority] with over 25 lights, with some having over 100[!], do NOT get use out of most of there lights and they are designated as SHELF QUEENS!

For me, I feel guilty if I do not use ALL my lights! As some of you know[the ones on Vinhs forum], I have a Siberian Husky[CAPO] who I walk 7 miles/day,4 miles of which are at night on the hiking trails! I have a rotation set up each night as to which lights I am using! Tonight,,it is the SR52vn as primary light and TX25C2vn and SDminiVN as my secondary lights! I have at least three[3] lights on me at all times during these hikes...including my keychain light.....which I have several.:thumbsup:

We are all different,,but I can not understand how some people buy lights to let them sit or just buy them[especially the modded ones] to get the WOW factor and never actually use them as they are intended to be used,hiking, camping ect.!

My maximum accumulation of lights was about 42....I now have 27 which is plenty enough to keep me busy,EDC'S and search lights! The 15 or so were sold for money along with 3 or 4 given to friends and others because they were not being used enough!!;)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
After collecting flashlights for a year, first off as trial and error for numerous outputs, beam shapes and roles I began to notice they were piling up.
Rather than see them collect dust or be stashed I gave away a dozen or so. The ones I used most I bought duplicates of.

Over time they continued to pile up. Again some were given away. As time passed they were becoming more niche oriented so they wouldn't be suited for everyday useage. By then I had some edc lights and still use those often. Being there are 2 front pockets on me trousers and I have 7 edc lights they get rotated at times based on anticipated needs. If say a day spent under the hood of a car in the shade is planned a not so bright will do. But if said car is in sunlight then one that can compete with sunshine is in order. That's what I mean by 'niche' oriented.

Well being a flashlight collector some were acquired as thrill lights. Some were acquired for the idea that a larger light is a defensive item. Some were acquired based on a niche at some point. Some were bought as an effort to own each model of a particular (now defunct) brand.
Some were purchased with the sole intention of donating parts to others that were bought for donating parts to still others.

Some were (and still are) purchased based on the companies founder being innovative in the technology going into flashlight and/or flashlight fuel. Fanboy purchases there.

Then the classic bug bit. The idea there was to acquire at least 2 from each decade flashlights were made. Largely succesful in that regard some were purchased knowing they do not work. So the thrill of learning how many differing ways folks could get electricity from point A to B without infringing on somebody elses patent became a joy to behold... especially when light is cast from the bulb after who knows how many decades. Some lit dimly at first but now burn nice n bright.
I will not be seeking lights from 1890 to 1900 nor 1900 to 1910 as frankly I've bought automobiles for less than good shape ones cost.

My friends used to say "how come?" but in numerous instances now ask "what's a good light for X?"...

So more lights do not get used regularly than do. But nearly every one does get used at some point. I have 2 vintage lights that work but are very fragile. They were difficult to get going, are finicky at best and frankly not worth the hassle when putting them to use.
Other than that, yeah at some point all of my nice lights get used. Just not often.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Well nicer lights' to me would be my ThruNite T30s and a convoy S3 their my EDC's and used regularly, also there an assortment of MiniMags and 3 D cell Maglights laying about for black out's all the Mags have been upgraded to led and use re-chargeable's.
Short answer yes my "nice" lights see daily use.

KBobAries

Enlightened
All of my lights are users regardless of price but some are used less than others just by nature of their purpose. I have a modded 6P with a Vinh drop-in as my dedicated nightstand light that only gets used a couple times per week. Ditto a Nitecore MT10A that's alway in the glovebox as a backup. I think I've used it 3 times over the past few months. One of my Malkoffs, 6P with a Tana drop-in, or HDS are chosen by my mood for my work light and get used dozens of times per day. I once told an EX, you change shoes while I change lights. ;)

I am in the process of purging some lights (LiteFlux and SureFire) but that isn't a slight on a particular model or brand but due to battery standardization and feeling overwhelmed by all the stuff that is eating up my time by having to be maintained. Yuck! Having a couple dozen lights is great but I'm ditching the "one of each" mentality for a few highly versatile lights.

Dan

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
A few years ago I traded some knives for a few capable, middle of the road lights and used them for a while. It was only a few months ago that I realized that these lights were seriously lacking as LED performance made a huge leap forward. I used to get wows from 100 or 200 lumen lights but once I got my two Zebralights (H600Fd and SC600 HI) I realized that this was a whole other world.

As it was said above in different ways, I can't not use these fine lights. They are of a great size, power, run-time, flexibility and it would be a shame to let them gather dust. I use them every day in one way or another.

I have contemplated some scorcher lights but realize that the size, heat or diminished runtimes won't work for me. Also, for me, I can't justify a multi-hundred dollar light because of what I consider diminishing returns compared to my Zebralights and I'd hate to ding up some of the beautifully crafted lights I've seen on this site.

Stainz

Enlightened
Of course I don't make use of all of my LED flashlights! I am a collector... probably a hoarder of sorts. At least I have the good sense to only keep CR-123 type battery LED's 'loaded', and the alkaline disposable battery LED's 'unloaded'. Still, two 3-CR-123 S-F lights and numerous 2-cell units eat up a few cells.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering I have only one nice flashlight -- a high CRI HDS Rotary -- and that it's almost always within reach, then yes, I do get regular use out of my nicer flashlight.

tops2

Enlightened
..but once I got my two Zebralights (H600Fd and SC600 HI) I realized that this was a whole other world.

As it was said above in different ways, I can't not use these fine lights. They are of a great size, power, run-time, flexibility and it would be a shame to let them gather dust. I use them every day in one way or another.

My first Zebralight was the SC5w OP. I stopped using everything else after that light. I've acquired a few other lights along the way, and used most of them for a week or two before coming back to the SC5w. But about a month ago, I finally got my first 18650 Zebralight, the H600Fd as well, and its my go to light now too (aside from daily pocket EDC). The H600Fd is just perfect for 99% of my usage. Its much more powerful than my SC5w so I stopped using that light. The floody beam with the high CRI is the main reason I keep using this light, aside from the Zebralight UI.

The main wait right now for me is the Zebralight SC600Fd MKIII Plus.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have passed most of my flashlights on to others, and I use Fenix FD40, PD40, Manker U21, and a Convoy L6 as my main lights along with a ZebraLight SC600 Mk3 as edc and a ZebraLight H600Fd headlamp.

In terms of flashlights I am a wealthy person.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
My first Zebralight was the SC5w OP. I stopped using everything else after that light. I've acquired a few other lights along the way, and used most of them for a week or two before coming back to the SC5w. But about a month ago, I finally got my first 18650 Zebralight, the H600Fd as well, and its my go to light now too (aside from daily pocket EDC). The H600Fd is just perfect for 99% of my usage. Its much more powerful than my SC5w so I stopped using that light. The floody beam with the high CRI is the main reason I keep using this light, aside from the Zebralight UI.

The main wait right now for me is the Zebralight SC600Fd MKIII Plus.

Turning on my H600Fd for the first time was literally enlightening! I felt the exact same way with my SC600 HI. Really wonderful tools. I'd love to try out the Plus when it lands. Zebralight knocks it out of the park for me.

Macaw

Enlightened
I gathered up all my semi-custom or rare flashlights and placed them in a wooden cigar box and nailed it shut. Several thousand $$$ worth. I figure that some day in the future they will either be worth something of collector value or be obsolete objects worth relatively little. I stopped paying big bucks for the collectible stuff. I guess you could call me a recovering flashaholic. I use regular manufactured flashlights for EDC.

tops2

Enlightened
Turning on my H600Fd for the first time was literally enlightening! I felt the exact same way with my SC600 HI. Really wonderful tools. I'd love to try out the Plus when it lands. Zebralight knocks it out of the park for me.

I had the pleasure of finally being able to demo the HI and boy it throws nice and has a nice tint (from my limited testing) as everyone mentioned. But I do see how for close distance I may not like the HI, but I guess that's not why I'd buy the HI version for. If it wasn't cause the Plus version is coming out "soon", I'd probably have bought the HI version yesterday. But then I didn't expect to try the HI version yesterday so wasn't mentally prepared to spend +$100 at that point (need to buy the unprotected batteries to go along).

bigfoot

Enlightened
I try to stick with the practice of "something new shows up, something old goes out" here. No shelf queens. If it isn't being used regularly (or kept in a kit as a backup), it gets put up for sale or given away as a gift.

Probably the nicest light here is a SF Kroma Milspec, and it's used for daily EDC.