Do you get a flu shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I totally believe in them. I get one every year and I haven't had the flu in over 20 years. Before that I used to get the flu every year and it would knock me down for a week at a time. It's money well spent for me.

DM51

Flashaholic
I don't think I've ever had flu, and I've never had an anti-flu injection before. However, this year I had one on my Dr's recommendation.

I had heard stories of people feeling a bit off color for a couple of days after the shot, but in my case no reaction at all - not even a sore arm.

Acid87

Enlightened
I personally have never had a Flu jab but I appreciate their importance. My girlfriend has a liver illness as a result has a lower immune system so for her it's extremely important so I'm thankful of the NHS.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Many people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how flu shots work. I spoke to someone the other day who said "I had a flu shot and I immediately got the flu from it."

In reality a flu show does not produce immunity right away; from what I understand it can take 4-6 weeks after receiving the shot before your immunity has built up. That's because you don't get injected with antibodies; you get a weakened or killed version of the virus itself, causing your body to recognize it as an intruder and start building up antibodies for it. It's still possible to get the flu from normal sources in the first days or weeks after receiving a flu shot.

ps249

Newly Enlightened
I been getting mine every year for the last 12 years or so. I rarely get sick since getting them. Also good idea to get your pnumonia shot. Health department only recommends two pnumonia shots in your lifetime. Once before the age of 40 and one at 65.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Fourteen years ago, I was advised by my doctor to get a flu shot because my partner has MS and takes a medication that compromises her imune system. If I gave the flu germs to her, there could be serious consequences. Well, every year since I've had a flu shot and have had a few colds, but never the flu. The only side effect I've felt is a sore arm for a few days.
I'm on Medicare, so my flu shot is covered, but even if it wasn't, they usually cost about $30 which isn't a lot for the "insurance" it brings. I'm not sure about other parts of the country, but in Massachusetts, many cities and towns sponser free flu shot clinics for children and the elderly.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This is a great point, Sassaquin. When you get a flu shot you're also protecting those around you from the flu. It's not just a protective measure for yourself, it's an act of kindness for your loved ones.

And yes I've had a pneumonia shot also. I've had pneumonia once in my life during my teenage years and I never want to experience that again.

beerwax

Enlightened
Many people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how flu shots work. I spoke to someone the other day who said "I had a flu shot and I immediately got the flu from it."

In reality a flu show does not produce immunity right away; from what I understand it can take 4-6 weeks after receiving the shot before your immunity has built up. That's because you don't get injected with antibodies; you get a weakened or killed version of the virus itself, causing your body to recognize it as an intruder and start building up antibodies for it. It's still possible to get the flu from normal sources in the first days or weeks after receiving a flu shot.

thats my understanding. the shot gives you a mild case of the flu. but there is always a group of people that experience a stronger version of 'mild'. so yes people do have the flu shot and immediately get the flu from it. some unlucky people may have other reactions. the medical board has detailed statistics on the expected outcomes.

we are lucky to live in an age where we have this technology. i myself have never had one.

nbp

Flashaholic
Never had a flu shot, never had the flu. Guess I'll keep on not getting one. :shrug:

Besides, no guarantee that the strains they immunize for will be the ones that proliferate that year. You can get the shot and still get the flu.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I always get a Flu Shot.

For perhaps the past 20 years or so.

I believe they have been beneficial for me.
Even though i have no insurance, and hafta' pay outta' my pocket.

Your Mileage May Vary.

BTW -- i'm quite amazed to see So Many people here who have Never Had the Flu ! ! !

:wow:
_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I totally believe in them. I get one every year and I haven't had the flu in over 20 years. Before that I used to get the flu every year and it would knock me down for a week at a time. It's money well spent for me.

Not for me. I rarely get the Flu. Sometimes get a Cold. I think I'm coming down with the latter. Spent money for a Flu shot first time this year. For me, money down the drain. I'm usually out for a week anyway when I get a Cold.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get the jab every year, it does make me feel tired and slightly weak after getting it but nothing unpleasant and absolutely nothing like the flu for me.

I do suffer very badly with the flu if I catch it.

Tony

Coop57

Enlightened
Yes I get a flu shot every year. I had the flu many years ago when I was 21 and it led to pneumonia and it dam near killed me. Don't want to go through that again.

TheEpeter

Newly Enlightened
Before I had kids (and married a pediatrician) I never got the flu and I didn't get the flu shot on a regular basis. Only as a necessity of travel or a requirement of public health for higher education. But, having just had my second child, the good Dr. Wife informed me that I needed to get another flu shot this year so the baby didn't get it. This, of course, was a repeat of the last time when my first kid was born and I had to get the first flu shot I had had in years.

I always exaggerate and tell people that "I always get the flu after I get the flu shot, but I never get the flu when I don't get a flu shot," but this is mostly inaccurate. I don't get a full blown flu. I do feel kinda crappy for a few days a few days after I get the shot, but its certainly not full blown flu.

So...my recommendation is that IF you are going to be around the very young or the very old, do them a favor and get a flu shot so you don't spread the disease to them. If you are not going to be around them, then it's totally up to you. If you're bit Darwinian, then Eff it. Don't get a shot.

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
There's some things you guys really should know.. First, Multi-dose flue shots given to babies 6 months and older contains Mercury!!! The seasonal shot contains formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, and many other ingredients that the EPA and IARC have classifed as a carcinogen at ANY dose. (Don't quote my numbers, but they are very close) Every year the CDC test people that have the flu, or flu like symptoms. In the last 11 years, only 13% of those tested had a strain that was in the flu shot. If the flu shot even worked, and everyone got one, 87% of the population would still get the flu if exposed. Google Dr. Tenpenny, she has done a lot of leg work. It is amazingly hard to find the ingredients on any government agency website, but they are there.

Here is a link to what is in the flu shots

http://drtenpenny.com/Documents/Influenza Vaccine Comparison Chart.pdf

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll check out the link out of curiosity.

Thanks for the information.

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
My cousin in the health care business has to get a flu shot, but she says it's kind of a joke. The shot has a few strains of the flu, just not all of the strains. You can still get the flu if it is a strain that was not contained in said flu shot. I don't get flu shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.