Do you get power outages often in your area?

JOshooter

Enlightened
have you looked at the thread titled Why are you carrying so many flashlights? that's what I do when I'm bored.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only remember 2 major outages here. The first was due to the Ground wire on top of the 96KV Mansfield-Galion feeder, snapping and draping over the Hots. This was during a Siberian Express ( -22F ). The second one, was due to an especially idiotic Squirrel, who decided to build a nest in a Substation Transformer. The squirrel did not survive. Neither did the substation transformer.

Other than that, the occasional weather related outage, or more rarely: auto accident.

power went out twice in rapid succession, yesterday afternoon, but, thankfully short durations.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Let's see - Last power outage for me was 7 years or so ago. There was a fire in a sub station all the way across the county, but some MAJOR feeders went into it. About 10 hours later it was getting HOT, and the grid was going to go down, so the power company had to shead some neighborhood. My neighborrhod is all upper middle class, and low crime, so they figured there wouldn't be a public disturbance if they shead that, instead of the high crime poor neighborhood near the sub station. The gave us an hours warning it was going to happen. We were down about 7 hours

Before that, it was 1977, and before that was the big East Coast blackout in what? 1967 or so (to young to remember it)

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in OH, I have had power outages three times so far this summer. Heard a loud bang in the middle of the night and everything went off, must have been a transformer close by. I was working in a small office building and we would complain to mgmt all the time because we didn't have any UPS's for the servers and had power go off almost weekly.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
1967? That was the one where the switch relay was setup backwards at the Niagra Power Plant. It proved that the rigid system of Load Shedding for protection, worked.

I can just see the deep red OOPS! face on the guy who did that.

Then there was the one where a thunderstorm took out all of Con Edison's Generator plants for NYC, in series, via lightning strikes.

We missed both of those, here in Ohio.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're thinking of Tuesday, November 9th 1965. Started in Toronto at 5:15pm, Rochester at 5:18, Boston at 5:21. New York proper stayed up until 5:28.

Power came back on in Manhattan at 4:44 am.

Course, I wouldn't be born for another 5 years, so I only know about it from hearsay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is chronicled in an episode of "Wrath of God," a History Channel Series. I knew the date was reasonably close, as Johnson was President at the time and was worried there was an attack underway, by the Soviets (until he got more info).

Amazing how some years and several generations makes a difference in behaviour. In the 1965 incident, everyone helped one another. However, in the one where Con Ed's Plants got taken out by lightning, even Lawyers were looting, plus rioting in the streets. That I remember, cause it was all over the news.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spango,

I would not say 'fear' of being left in the dark. I EDC an Infinity Ultra and it is sufficient for that 'just in case' situation. Let us say that it is not a good idea to fumble around in total darkness, especially if you are a Diabetic, or for another reason have impaired blood flow below the knees. As you can see, it makes perfect sense, to have something that is reliable, though not necessarily expensive with you at all times.

As flashaholics, we have an inordinate fascination with flashlights and headlamps, particularly cutting edge and usually expensive ones. As a result, we carry light(s) that are far better than the sheeple do.

A sheeple light is junky in quality, if not in price, and usually will not work when it is most needed to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Just came close to losing power! A line of thunderstorms (50,000 ft) just rolled through. The lights blinked and I lost my Internet feed for about 5 minutes. Lights styed on though.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Spoke too soon! Took a lightning hit on the grid that caused a blink long enough to cause the computer to re-set.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
...snip...Then there was the one where a thunderstorm took out all of Con Edison's Generator plants for NYC, in series, via lightning strikes.

...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was 1977, and it actually wasn't the power plants that were taken out, but 7 of the 9 feeder circuits coming from the north

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy-- what a ko-inky-dink. Here in Killeen my power went out a few hours back. Too bad it wasn't dark out or I could have put my lights to good use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

MisterEd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MisterEd said:
The power hasn't been out long enough for a PC power supply to notice in the ~2 years I've lived here. It's easy to get spoiled living in a city, with underground power feeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh, I spoke too soon. I had no power for 12 hours in the great SW Ontario & NE US blackout. Fortunately it happened in the afternoon so I was able to locate a flashlight, but the emergency lights in my apartment were not working so I had to feel my way down the hall to my door.

However, as a result I've resolved to get a light I can EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Maybe all computers are not equal in this respect...

But little half second blips courtesy of Houston Looting and Plunder killed a hard drive on my home 'puter some years back.

When it came back from the shop with a new HDD, a UPS came with it!!!

I haven't had SERIOUS outage since Alicia in the early 80's. However many in this city had major trouble from Allison a while back!

In reality, I rarely ever go anywhere in the daytime where pitch black is at all likely. Doesn't stop me from being prepared!

Blikbok

Enlightened
I have had about three outages, each less than a day, in the last ten years.

Power went out while I was in the shower-- interior bathroom, no window /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I finished, dried off, broke out a chemlight, and read a book until bedtime.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than ones like this massive outage, they occur around here when I am watching a program I want to see, and, it is not going to be repeated for quite some time. These last long enough to prevent me from seeing the remainder of said program. Otherwise, usually a few seconds to minutes.