Do you *have* to use a certain flashlight at work?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way you could mod it with a Luxeon? I can imagine they won't like you using lithium cells either.

Maybe get a light just like it, mod it, then swap it out. When it comes time to turn it in (or whatever) swap it back. Keep it in the trunk of your car or something. It's most likely not going to be noticed if you replace it with the same lame light.

Maybe?

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to convince the management to get everleds or epieons for all the M*gs. Then the lights will be better, look pretty much the same, and not go through batteries and bulbs so fast.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you *have* to use a certain flashlight at w

I am suprised that no one is tethering tools to the user. In Japan construction workers are required by code to tether their tools to themselves to avoid accidents. A smaller light on a retractable cable tether could not be left behind.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

gregr, i'd love any job that issues me lights like that...you're one lucky flashaholic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

At my last job in the mid/late 1980s fixing pinball machines and video games, we had to bring our own toolboxes and flashlights. Too bad I didn't have a SureFire back then, otherwise I wouldn't have bought 5-C and 6-D Maglites to use for my job - and those were the best flashlights in the whole shop. And because of the anodized finish, they didn't short out electrical stuff when dropped, unless scratches and mars in the Mag's finish just so happened to land on live electrical connections. *POW!!!* *BZZZZZZT!!!* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I don't have these two Maglites any more though. I broke the 5-C one (by dropping the batteries in straight down from the tail), and the 6-D one was in a car that was stolen in the very late 1980s.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, there are lights that I have to use,
I am in the Air Force myself and work on medical equipment for my gig. I can use whatever I want to use for tools and bring them with me from base to base (no chits, no shadow boards...no kidding) Then I went to Korea and was introduced the the Mx991/U Anglehead flashlight. We HAD to carry that thing around clipped to our flak jackets for exercises (a total of five weeks in the year tour) It was generally clothed with the red filter so we can walk around in the dark and be seen.
Watching my mail box for the Elektrolumens MX991/U Anglehead with micropuck, Fraen optics and a big fat Luxeon LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif Can't wait to bring that thing into work and show what an Anglehead can really do.

NewsFlash

Enlightened

Roy,

I have to use a non-metallic case flashlight for the same reasons. If you drop it into an electrical cabinet, or in the battery compartment, it could short something out. We too are governed by a safety manual.

We use Ray-O-Vac heavy-duty industrial 2D flashlights. They are the new style now. I have an older style still, it seems much tougher than the new version. Also, the older style seems to have a better reflector.

We used to use the blue Eveready heavy-duty industrial D batteries, but they didn't last very long. Switched to Procell alkalines. We are issued el-cheapo PR2 bulbs. Last Christmas, I received a Mag 2D that came with 2 extra bulbs. I got tired of the el-cheapo bulbs blacking up quickly, so I put one of the Mag 2-cell bulbs in. Neato! Nice small hotspot with gobs of sidespill, the beam is very nice for what I do. The faceted reflector takes out almost all the artifacts. I've had the Mag bulb in for 2 months now and it's not black yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
Maybe get a light just like it, mod it, then swap it out. When it comes time to turn it in (or whatever) swap it back. Keep it in the trunk of your car or something. It's most likely not going to be noticed if you replace it with the same lame light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, each tool is etched with the tool box number it is a part of. If I took a tool to my car, that would be considered theft, and I would lose my clearance, and my job.
Sometimes our lunch boxes etc. are searched on the way in or out.

I'm really just stuck with using two & three cell incandescent Mags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wait, I think I just...yep, I just had an idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

There are also three 2 AA Snap-On lights in each box. They are a spitting image of a Brinkmann Legend.
Don't dat2zip's sandwiches fit the Brinkmann Legend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
How difficult is the switch removal from a Legend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I could check one out each day, and pop an NX05 and MadMax+ in it! Then swap it back out at the end of the shift. I have a spare MadMax+ Q3L I could use.

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I could'a had a V8.
I mean, I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.

*EDIT* Also considering an EverLED for the D cell Mags.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Luck

Advice given is good, but yeah some rules and regs in the US military are so retarded. I guess the Marines have rules and regs from preventing us not so bright creatures from doing something retarded. I am glad I can bring my Streamlight Scorpion into work (Marine reservist) and use it whenever I see fit (will be adding a Streamlight TT 1L, and some time soon either a arc aaa LE or a CMG Infinity Ultra as a LED back-up/keychain light for wear 24/7.) Everyone was amazed at the brightness of such a small light, blew away the 3D mag-lite and 2D angle plastic military angle in the tech shop. Then I told them the price, gosh some of the active duty Marines are cheap, can't argue though, their pay checks aren't that big.

Will be looking foward to how you're situation is worked out and handled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif May you show them the light!

sidespill

Enlightened
i am also in the usaf i am a kc-135 crew chief. all you guys have to do is talk to your ctk. they can buy almost anything with the impac card it doesn't matter if it has a national stock number or not. mags are used throughout the usaf. but you have to do a little leg work i just told them where to shop and my shop ordered a bunch of lights from underwater kinetecs. i chose uk because we already stock alkalines. there are certain workcards that specify using a strong flashlight to do specific inspections i told that to the guy who runs the tool crib. i also noted that we should have better flashlights than the quality assurance guys. anyways good luck. btw you could always use electrolumens 3toD adapters and drop in a better bulb.