Do you like multi mode lights?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I've been considering the purchase of a rather expensive (for me) multi mode light which would also be my first. But I'm wondering about their practicality, while at the same time their popularity. They seem cool at being able to put out very little light and then be able to adjust upward by (usually) repeatedly clicking or slightly depressing the button. But is this really the preferred way to use a light?

The one I'm considering is the regular Quark AA2. If I wanted to turn the light on and get a decent amount of light, I'd have to click it on to .6 lumens, again to get 4 lumens, and again for 19 lumens. That's 3 times! Then if I turned it off and then needed it a minute later, that's another 3 times. When I turned it off the first time, I might stop and think about whether or not I will need it soon again. A single mode light needs no such consideration. But multi mode lights seem to be the "big thing" right now. Is that because manufacturers are pushing them because they're more profitable, or is it because people in the know actually prefer them?

Now, I know there is the Tactical version and that it can be programmed for 2 modes, which of course makes the others harder to access without doing a reprogram.

I'd just like to ask people here who actually own lights with lots of modes to click through whether or not they find this to be practical, or if they usually just use these lights on "special" occasions and find that they usually carry a simpler light. I'd hate to get one and then find that I end up preferring what I already had more.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I love my multi HDS 140 and 170 clickies. They are my EDC.

However - my favourite light, and the one I grab the most around the house for general purposes, dog walking, etc. is my Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M61W. It is by far, my most used light. Single mode is not a limiting factor at all with this light. It is the perfect combo of tint, brightness, and runtime for me - YMMV.

mrlysle

Enlightened
To answer your question, YES, I love all my multi mode lights and I use them all. Ultimately, it comes down to how you have to access the different modes that develops "favorite" UI's. Like Shane45 said above, I love my HDS 170. You have to make multiple clicks to get the output you want, (fully programmable though) but it's not an issue for me at all. They're fabulous lighting tools. Another well thought out, and favorite UI of mine is the Zebralights. Incredible! Some newer lights now use an infinitely variable output "ring" on the light, with a clicky switch, so you can just "click" it on, and then rotate the ring to get the output you want. Nice! I really like my Nitecore Infilux series. Just look at some of the lights you're interested in, and look at the UI, and see what you think you would like the best. Like I said earlier, the Zebralights are probably the easiest to instantly reach one of 3 output levels, but you might find you like the looks of another brand better, so, I say just go for it! Buy one you like the looks of, if it meets your other criteria, and play with it for awhile. I'm certain you could get rid of it pretty easy over on the Marketplace, and try another one. I really like multi mode lights, and use one 95% of the time.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Multi-mode lights are only as practical as their UI. If you can't access the level you want quickly and easily, or are forced to go through modes that you do not want, then I find additional modes to be intrusive.

The nice thing about single-mode lights is that you know what you're getting every time. This can be had in multi-mode lights when the UI is well designed.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, 2-3 levels is ideal. For 3+ levels, the "tap-to-select/click-to-activate" technique used by Milkyspit's custom programmable driver is ideal for one very simple reason: it decouples the time element of action from the physical action itself. In other words, in contrast to UIs that require you to dwell on a setting for a certain period of time before it commits or resets, you can tap as fast as you want and click to activate that level you desire. I find it enormously frustrating to have to wait X seconds before clicking back on the go to the next level or some other ridiculous thing like that.

For 2-level UIs, I prefer a reverse clickie. For example, VanIsleDSM's quads. This is so I can click to power on then tap to toggle between levels until I get to the one I want. Very positive action, absolutely unequivocal action.

It's just my outlook, but any interface that requires more than a minute to learn and that you can forget how to use if you're away from the light/let your muscle memory fade is a failure. But then this is a consequence of the way I use my lights and what I demand from the human-machine interface.

Wilkey

Last edited:

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
Don't you find it annoying to have to click the button multiple times to get the brightness you're needing at the time?
soft clicking a one handed operation button two more times doesnt kill me. never does. it might get annoying using a twistie since you have to use two hands. i also like seeing how effective different modes are. it makes me feel like my light is that much more useful due to runtime options and not coming on in the highest setting. which it is.

for tactical reasons i guess so[the importance of a tactical ONLY light(by itself) can be argued]. but with lights these days and their great UI's you wont need a single mode light for that.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my multi-mode lights for their versatility. That being said, if I can't access the needed mode quickly, I'll gift it or sell it.

The reverse clickies drive me nuts, so all of my quarks have forward clickies installed. I just soft press to the mode needed, then click on.

The twisties need to be smooth enough for one hand operation, or they go too.

My favorite ATM is my Eiger #8 with a QTC pill :devil:. With that and a C2 running an Anto single mode, I'm generally set.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really is no answer to this question, everybody seems to have a different taste in UI, that is why there are so many. The most perfect I found is the 6 level detent dial on the Spy, but they are crazy expensive.

Getting to the mode you want is an inconvenience with every multi-mode UI but the flexibility usually makes up for it. There are a few really bad ideas to avoid like combining a memory mode with a strobe so you have to scroll through strobe to get to another level.

I would recommend you start with the Tactical model Quark and program it to 18lm and Max settings, that is how I have my 2 set. Play around with the other levels a bit too and see if you have a use for them. If you find you are constantly reprogramming it to get other levels it might be worth the inconvenience of scrolling through multiple levels to get the just right one for the task.

MuZI

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't buy anything but multi-mode. It's the first thing I look for when I purchase a new flashlight. I use mine for various tasks and each requires different amounts of light for different durations.

My sunwayman remembers the last setting I had it on when I turned it off so it's not too much of a hassle to use. The JetBeam I just purchased can be adjusted by twisting the front part.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
With Incandescents you were stuck with one mode - some people seem to have trouble moving on from there.

Keep looking till you find the UI that works for you.

LED Lenser H7 and their $20 clones even have a lever you move to select the brightness you want instantly - even before you switch it on.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I virtually always prefer at least 2 modes, unless it is a low-output light. If it is only 20 or 30 lumens on max, I can live with that as a one-mode light.
If I have a 200 lumen light, then I definitely want a low mode to go along with that.

I do find it an advantage to have a UI that allow me to select the mode I want, before I click the light on.
I'm not a real big fan of cyling thru multiple modes, but I can live with it if the light is a good one and has an easy enough UI so it's an easy thing to do.

phonoe

Newly Enlightened
In case of an emergency situation and you can grab only one light without any extra batteries. Worst case you have to use this light for days without any other lights available. Then I think that the very low light mode of the multi-mode light would be the best feature that you will not regret.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keychain light I want a simple 1 mode. Other then that I want access to multiple modes without all the clicking, which is why I prefer the Quark tactical and HDS UI. I would hate to have a power outage and burn my batteries up on a light that only has max. The crazy low modes are perfect for preserving night adapted vision, but I don't want to click through them when I want max in a hurry. Quark is great for the easy programming that is fast to change and HDS is great for the 4 presets and rotary selection.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like twisting the head to change modes.........(EagleTac, Malkoff MD2)
I also like programmed modes.....(HDS/Ra Clicky)
I do not care for CYCLING through modes. But oddly enough have been carrying my Fenix PD31 lately....:shrug:

fedexbox

Newly Enlightened
For multi modes I prefer H-M-L. I don't like the fact that in an emergency situation I would have to cycle and wonder what the last memory was. Aside from that, I also appreciate a solid single mode that can be run continuously like a Malkoff or Modoo. I owned a Fenix ld20r4 and never used the other modes, besides turbo, which i found wasn't bright enough for me uses(didn't like tint either). I think it comes down to what you'll be using the light for - if you need a low for map reading or survival - or for other reasons.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally prefer single mode lights because I know what I'm getting when I click/twist. High and low are the settings I prefer. Too much clicking is awkward. The Maelstrom S12 is good for me. I get the high mode each time I turn it on. Clicking twice will get me the low mode should I need that. It has a great UI.
cool0036.gif
The other alternative I find useful is to carry two lights. One for high, one for low.:thumbsup:

AIC

Newly Enlightened
Yes, 2 or three modes are nice. ONLY brightness modes though. No flashing modes, unless they are hidden. I prefer head twist mode changing too.