Do you really use 0.2 lumen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OK thanks :nana:
I wasn't so sure, I couldn't find the difference between a normal and factory reset in the manual.

I have my Hi CRI set for low, medium low, and medium, + burst 100%. Pulled out battery for 2 minutes and reinserted battery. No changes to my settings.

Bill

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright. I am going to use my D10 on the lowest setting and unplug my night light and see can I move around tomorrow night.

The D10 on its lowest setting is quite noticibly brighter than the Quark's .2 lumens... you'll have no problems seeing your way around if your eyes are night adapted. Even with the Quark at .2 lumens, that's enough light to see your way around.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my high CRI Ra Clicky set up to give me 0.07 lumen as the default setting which I find to be plenty bright when my eyes are dark adapted. I have no problem avoiding the ever changing obstacles of children's toys and sewing machines.

guardpost3

Enlightened
I have both of my Ra clickys programmed to come on in 0.07lm, I use that setting as much or more than max brightness. It is perfect for reading or finding things in my patrol car at night.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of very low output modes in flashlights. My girlfriend dropped her keys at the movie theater and a bright light would have been distracting to everyone else around us as I looked under the seat. Worked great to have plenty of light, but not too much and I could see what I was looking for. I can also fish around on the shelf next to the bed in the middle of the night without disturbing said girlfriend. You'd be amazed at what you can see at .2 lumens. Most Quarks are great with their .2 lumen output. Wish my Quark Mini CR2 had .2 lumen output rather than 3 lumens for the low.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my HDS Ra 170 set to its lowest(.08 lumens according to the chart) and use it more then I thought I would. I set it to try it out, thinking it wouldn't be useful, but I have left it there. I can always change it if needed.

Wiseguyzz_Inc_

Newly Enlightened
I guess if true night vision preservation is necessary you would use 0.2 lumens..... Per MIL-1472D true night vision conservation illumination is <0.05 lumens

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant! (no pun intended)+1 on that also. As a low/low/low enthusiast, I would use a flashlight like that quite a bit I suspect.

maybe some day this will be a reality. Runtime will be spectacular as you can imagine and it will be the ultimate survival light.

Vesper

Enlightened
Why don't we just get someone to make a P60 dropin that has a super low mode so people can use whatever host they'd like? I know I'd buy at least 4 dropins to fill all my hosts.

0.2l, 4L, 20L, 100L would be perfect. And if they could do it with an XP-G all the better.

YES PLEASE! I looked and looked for such a thing. Only thing sort of close was Malkoff LL in a MD w/ his hi/lo option. I would LOVE a dropin like you described.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
YES PLEASE! I looked and looked for such a thing. Only thing sort of close was Malkoff LL in a MD w/ his hi/lo option. I would LOVE a dropin like you described.

I have this SKU 17593 from DX in my G2. The lowest setting is a moonmode that is comparable to the moonmode on my Quark Turbo.

scout24

Flashaholic
Beacon- T1A same levels/ UI as Ti Titan, but runs CR123's PM me your address and I'll send you one to try for a few days. Picked up my last one on CPFMP for $150.00... :)

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
I have this SKU 17593 from DX in my G2. The lowest setting is a moonmode that is comparable to the moonmode on my Quark Turbo.

Looks nice, a little too nice... I saw the different current draw rates on the DX page, but that could just be current draw due to lower PWM.

Any idea if its current controlled?

Does your G2 head screw down the entire way?

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice, a little too nice... I saw the different current draw rates on the DX page, but that could just be current draw due to lower PWM.

Any idea if its current controlled?

Does your G2 head screw down the entire way?

No idea if it's current controlled sorry, but the head does screw down all the way, with the outer spring removed.
The one I have is not 3 mode, it ramps up and you set whatever level you want.....one mode. It flashes at 5%, 50%, and 100%, two quick taps gives you Moon Mode.
This dropin isn't for everyone, it wants to ramp too easily if you hit the button wrong. Maybe in a clicky it would function differently?
I keep mine it in my GHB for the ability to go into MM for stealth and runtime, or 200+ lumens of a little throw if needed. I like it for my needs and it's under $12.

Let me add to the OP that yes.... I use .2 lumen. I have a Quark WW Turbo 123 that I love, and it's set on MM and Max. I wish all my lights had such a low setting on them.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried indoors with my Quark 123 at .2 lumens mode. With dark adapted eyes I find I can easily locate in my livingroom. Even when the eyes are not dark adapted the hotspot easily reaches 10m, and I can read a book with the spill at 1 feet distance from the book, without extreme effort.
Consequently even a brightness of hundreds of times dimmer than .2 lumen would be useful at close distance under real dark conditions. And the runtime could be counted in years!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my ultra low settings daily on my Quark, (now sold) NovaTac, and (just acquired) Ra clicky high CRI. I navigate from my bedroom to each of my kids rooms to kiss them before I leave for work in the early morning. I love the sub-lumen settings because it does not disturb them even when shining at their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.