Do you really use 0.2 lumen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexLight

Newly Enlightened
the 0.33 lumens on my HDS clicky is great for using in the middle of the night without disturbing others...

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Quark 123 Tactical specifically for the moonlight mode that it offers. As a matter of fact, the second setting is set to Low and I never use it. I have a dead CR123a in it that is so drained out that it won't stay lit on Low for more than a few seconds. I bought this light because I needed a light to use in the early mornings when I'm getting ready for work and the 2 lumen low is bright enough to wake my daughter. The 0.8 lumens from the moonlight mode is still brighter than my night-adjusted vision can handle, so, I'm now looking for something with an even lower low.

or you can diffuse the moonlight mode. scotch tape or something similar.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The original question seemed outlandish to some at the time and many of us had our work cut out for us convincing others that the absolute lowest settings of Henry's lights (.07 and .08) were far too bright. Now as more and more of us become accustomed to getting the exact amount of light we need it's become a much more super-low-level friendly atmosphere.

Come over to the dark side. Once you understand it, you'll like it.

macnoodle

Newly Enlightened
The 0.2 lumens on my ZL SC51W can even be a little too bright in the middle of the night. So yes, I definitely use this setting, and quite often!

DM51

Flashaholic
As I understand the rules of the game, and not only the rules governing CPF, we have a right to expect courtesy. Whoever used denigrating language owes you an apology.
That is correct; and we expect a high standard here. One may dispute a post, but not attack the poster, and there must be no abuse, rudeness, provocation, bad language, denigration or belittling expressions used.

Incidentally, the exchange you refer to happened quite a long time ago, so it is past history now.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I use the 0.18 lumen setting on my Zebralight SC51w and 0.2 lumen setting on my Quark AA-2 almost exclusively when navigating around home at night. I haven't found any other uses for it though... But it is definitely bright enough at night. Sometimes I even want a slightly lower setting :)

woodentsick

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Titans and Titan T1A's have the most usable low level around, IMHO. The other option is the new variable Jetbeam, goes much lower than my Sunwayman V10A, just as low as my Titans.
I agree - my Titans went away some time ago, but the Jetbeam TC-R2 and RRT-0 give a great low low - the V10R is great, too, but not as low. Like scout, I use mine early in the AM moving around to avoid waking the Mrs., and for the inevitable midnight runs - at least inevitable since I turned north of 50!

The 0.2 lumens on my ZL SC51W can even be a little too bright in the middle of the night. So yes, I definitely use this setting, and quite often!
My ZL SC51W is one of my absolute favorite lights - I actually keep it in my pocket through the night (SC30W on the way - may switch to it). Regardless, it seems almost 'blinding' on the lowest low compared to the JB, but I still love it because of the ease of the interface...press/hold and you are on low.

This is a great thread IMHO, because it reveals that, in spite of all of our collective love for a flame throwing light, a really low low is very useful. :thumbsup:

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I think I would have bought my HDS clickies, even if the ONLY level they offered was .07 /.08.

I use the lowest level more than I use any other of my custom presets.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
or you can diffuse the moonlight mode. scotch tape or something similar.
Sorry, forgot to mention that I had already put a layer of diffusion film on the lens of this light, which softened the hotspot up. I'm probably going to get an Ra Clicky to experience the ultra low low of that light then go from there.

In the mean time, I've installed a QTC into the switch of my Streamlight BatonLite that I've modified (McR10 reflector, SSC P4 U-bin, Sandwich Shop Mad Max Lite) and I'm able to crank down the lumens to the point where it's worthlessly dim so I have an interim solution. The only real problem with this setup is that it's finicky and the brightness will go up and down depending on whether or not I handle the tail cap switch or not and the QTC itself flows more current after a few seconds even if the tail cap is undisturbed. Still, this light makes the Q123T in moonlight mode look bright in comparison.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I use the quark aa2 .2 moonlight every night as a night light and is about just right. The prism and diffuser spreads the light too much. My ArmyTek Predator has a .1 firefly mode and that is too low. Would be great for covert operations where detection is not a option.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who may be skeptical of how much lower the T1A goes compared to an HDS EDC, here is a comparison:

(Left) T1A lowest setting | (Right) HDS EDC High CRI lowest setting (0.07 lumens)
img7332q.jpg

(Left) HDS EDC High CRI lowest setting (0.07 lumens) | (Right) T1A lowest setting
img7336q.jpg

It's pretty a significant difference :)

Edit: I originally missed scout24's excellent comparison pic or a whole bunch of low output lights earlier in this thread as well.

Last edited:

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I, to, have gone to the dark side. My main house light for going to onto the kids rooms (kids, HA!! 19 and 17) is my ZL 501 on low. This saves me from a verbal thrashing at the hands of said children if they awake by my intrusion. I used it just yesteday morning (James Taylor). I used it to swipe my daughter's laptop from her room so mom could surf while I watched Tora Tora Tora.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come over to the dark side. Once you understand it, you'll like it.

I am hoping I would someday. I live in a city with lights everywhere. Not really have a chance to really appreciate the low low. Like another member said... hopefully this summer while camping I will get a chance to appreciate the low low.

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
My moonlight mode on my Quark AA is extremely useful, especially when I'm going camping. The low mode is way too bright when your eyes are adjusted to dark.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
For those who may be skeptical of how much lower the T1A goes compared to an HDS EDC, here is a comparison:

(Left) T1A lowest setting | (Right) HDS EDC High CRI lowest setting (0.07 lumens)
[...]
I do like low-low's, with most of my lights not going low enough, but honestly I'd rather have those 0.07 nicely-tinted lumens in my T1A instead of the severely-tinted blue low-low-low that it has. :shrug:

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I'd rather have 0.07 nicely-tinted lumens in my T1A instead of the severely-tinted blue low-low-low that it has.
Get DaFAB to mod it for you and put in a new emitter. MyT1A has a beautiful warm tint - he did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.