Do you switch out your EDC light or keep it the same?

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Almost every light listed in this thread is made in china. I sometimes carry cheap lights and the not caring about loss or damage has its appeal but I prefer carrying malkoff mdcs, muyshondts, arcs, and Surefires. I prefer supporting American producers. Pk design lab looks interesting but think they're gone. Any info?

I go out of my way to not support any American manufacturers and that is all I will say on the matter. Back on topic.

AlienBug

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD12 with a AA eneloop for the past eight years.

Knowing that choice triggers some people makes me like it even more. :D

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I have both USA and China made lights, I like them both. Just curious as to the basis of your decision.

I have my reasons, which I won't get into here because, unlike certain apprentice baiters, I don't want a mod to have to sweep in to re-rail the conversation.

On topic: hadn't thought of it before, but I only carry my C8 when it's rainy or cold, because of the size of the head only comfortably fitting a jacket pocket. Jeans pockets are out of the question.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have my reasons, which I won't get into here because, unlike certain apprentice baiters, I don't want a mod to have to sweep in to re-rail the conversation....

Well, it's a discussion forum, so "because I say so" isn't a real friendly or helpful explanation of what could be considered a provocative statement of yours above.

I go out of my way to not support any American manufacturers and that is all I will say on the matter....

Without further explanation, a statement of this type might be "baiting" at the least, if not outright trolling :ironic:

I too am wondering, if you did not want to discuss your position on this matter, why did you bring it up here ?

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Oh, so that's how it is? Fine then, I'm banned anyway, I know how this works from my years of lurking.

No, it's not "because I said so". That's called having an opinion that I'd not expand on precisely because of prolonging drama like it's happening here. If you insist, I go out of my way to not buy underpowered and massively overpriced lights from a morally bald and bankrupt country whose only export product is propaganda of it being any more than a toppling giant and wars against countries that barely have invented a bow and arrow and who refuse to be a front for their deep state's money laundering.
There, see why I didn't want to expand on it?

Then again, some clods proudly claiming their despise for "ChiCom" don't seem to be considered baiting, so what do I know. :shrug:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Anchors & Beaters---

Each system I have contains a larger light that hardly ever changes (anchors) paired with smaller and cheaper lights that I occasional rotate (beaters).

For example I keep a Fenix HP30R headlamp rigged to the chest harness of my backpack at all times. I baby that one and keep it topped off while pairing it with a AAA Lumintop Tool.

Same for my Jeep. I keep a Stream Light Waypoint search light in it at all times. It too is babied and always fully ready to go. I pair that with an Ozark Trail 750L.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Oh, so that's how it is? Fine then, I'm banned anyway, I know how this works from my years of lurking.

No, it's not "because I said so". That's called having an opinion that I'd not expand on precisely because of prolonging drama like it's happening here. If you insist, I go out of my way to not buy underpowered and massively overpriced lights from a morally bald and bankrupt country whose only export product is propaganda of it being any more than a toppling giant and wars against countries that barely have invented a bow and arrow and who refuse to be a front for their deep state's money laundering.
There, see why I didn't want to expand on it?

Then again, some clods proudly claiming their despise for "ChiCom" don't seem to be considered baiting, so what do I know. :shrug:

Yes, thank you for clarifying, and you are indeed correct that the above would be considered both baiting and political discussion, inappropriate for the open forum.

Many threads have been closed for devolving into off-topic political issues, which may be peripheral or irrelevant to the main focus of CPF, and that is not limited to any particular country of manufacture.

Let's have no more of that here please, as the CPF Underground would be the venue, should you feel the need to address those topics.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Waypoint Info---

I have an older model, purchased roughly 5 years ago (at least). It takes four C-batteries but can also run directly off of a vehicle's 12-volt socket. I added a 10 foot extension cord to the Waypoint's 12-volt cord and taped them together to provide a water tight connection. This way I can plug the light in and position it anywhere around the Jeep as needed.

That system worked great when my brother-in-law's truck broke down in an unlit parking lot after dark. It was late Fall with high winds and cold spitting rain. We used the Jeep's headlights for area lighting and the Waypoint for up close work. I had the Waypoint plugged in to the Jeep the entire time so I did not have to dip into the Waypoint's battery power. His kids sat in the Jeep keeping warm and we were able to see what we needed in his truck's engine bay without worrying about the Waypoint running out of juice.

I would not change much if anything about the Waypoint. The newer models are rechargeable but I am not sure I like that for my purposes. If the Jeep dies I lose the ability to run the Waypoint off of the vehicle. At that point I would have to hope I remembered to regularly charge the Waypoint (if I had the newer rechargeable model). For this reason I like having the old fashioned ability to simply drop in fresh batteries which is why I keep a case of C-batteries in the Jeep.

I also like that it has a stand that folds out so the light can be positioned where ever needed and stays secure without falling over or rolling away. It has some weight but then again it is not a pocket carry EDC light. The lanyard hole is large and solid (as you probably know some manufacturers fail at this simple feature). The 12-volt cord is detachable. The hard plastic mount it comes with can be installed just about anywhere. The pistol grip handle makes it easy to hold and operate even with Winter gloves. Overall, no complaints.

My other larger sized Stream Light is an old Stinger that I found in the middle of a busy intersection on my commute home a few years ago. It was grimy and had certainly been run over. I ordered a new battery and a charger for it. Works fine. I still have five or six Sidewinders too. They have also never given me any issues. Stream Light has always been tough and reliable in my experience.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like C cell lights too B-D. Grip plays a role, and a C cell light tends to have pretty good run times for a given amount of output versus smaller lights. I keep that sort of thing in my truck so I suppose you could call that EDC.

Ordinarily my personal carry is the same everyday, but when I know of certain tasks in advance I will carry a lighting tool that will better suit the task. Recently at my work I was surrounded by light pollution and needed to see things at 75 feet away or more. My daily carry items weren't getting it done. So a specific light was carried on those occasions. A thrower was best so I carried a zoomie since it can produce a very narrow beam that cuts through light pollution like a tracer bullet.

When the duty was in a darker environment the usual lights work well. Yet being a flashlight collector, I will carry one at those times that usually set on a shelf. Just for the fun of it. It adds a bit anticipation to going to work if nothing else.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Interesting Carry---

I suppose I have never though about punching through light pollution, that is interesting. It makes me wonder which of my lights I would use. It also reminds me of the Fenix TK30 White Laser flashlight I recently learned about.

For the most part I will try to pair one light with decent flood to another with decent throw but that is about as specific as I usually get. If anything I probably choose my secondary beater lights based on size and weight. I know I tend to overkill things, perhaps I could scale down the beaters I rotate through. Then again I just love being able to cast sunlight out of my hand as per the flashoholic addiction.

Adding a bit of anticipation to going to work - I know exactly what you mean. My sons and I will often spend a little time pre-gaming what lights we are going to carry to this or that outing. Afterwards we sit around talking about the details of what worked, what didn't and so on. All such good fun.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2-C55-F349-C09-B-4-BCE-8-D6-A-FE0-D27-A65-A6-D.jpg

This 250 lumen zoomie did the trick in this case.

82-EEB1-D8-6262-468-A-AD1-D-0-D256-D4513-CB.jpg

Shadows kept hiding blemishes.
A thrower allowed me to see them without leaving footprints in the fresh asphalt.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to keep my main light on me (HDS NLT as it does most of what I use a light for) and add other lights for whatever I might need. Headlamp, thrower (or both) etc.

wayben

Newly Enlightened
New to the forum and don't have a huge collection so far, but I switch around depending on what I'm doing at the time and what kind of pockets I have available. I like to think it's to be more efficient, but really I just like playing with a variety of lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wise words wayben.
Welcome to CPF.

Tonight besides my usual EDC a SureFire E2D will tag along. It has a 350 lumen Tana singLED at 3600 kelvin installed. That should be a treat.