Does Cabela's Beat Surefire to the A2 punch?

S

Safari

Newly Enlightened
Re: Does Cabela\'s Beat Surefire to the A2 punch?

Ted D Bear,
Wow! I also need spec's on those streamlights, and where they available.

D

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

Safari check out other LED lights first, that SL looks pretty UN-unique /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
I just bought the Xenon/3+3 LED rechargeable flashlight from Cabelas, might make an interesting mod with some UV LEDs.

S

Safari

Newly Enlightened

Dan,
I own a couple of SL's and they have been excellent for the cost, but I'm new to this level a flashlight mania. Could you explain why? Although I did order the Cabelas light with the 123 battery. One more thing, can any of these led hobbists mount a wolf-eyes style end switch/ led to a 1watt lux led on the end of a surefire E2e (just dreaming)

NightStorm

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed the SL Luxeon at the bottom uses 3-AA batteries, no regulation? Not very efficient IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We could always sweet talk dat2zip into creating a 2-stage Wizard for one of these and have an A2 equivalent for less than half the price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif How's that for efficient? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Safari,

See the McGizmo link I posted, earlier in this thread.

Dan

S

Safari

Newly Enlightened

PercaDan,
Checked out the McGizmo link, wow! I guess if they can grow a human ear on a mouse you mod guys should be able a 1watt led on a tail switch for a surefire E2e. Shouldn't be to big a challenge to all the talent I see around this fourm.I would buy one for up to $50.00

bigcozy

bigcozy

Enlightened

Wonder if you could put one of those SL heads on an E2 body?

P

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered one of the 1X123 cell lights from Cabela's yesterday. I sold my SF E1 to a fellow CPFer a while back, and other than my Arc LS1rev2, it was the only single 123 cell light I owned, and I've been looking for another one. Granted, it's listed size is only about half an inch shorter than the E2, but I figured that the option of LED's makes up for that. Anyway, my delivery is guaranteed NLT this Thursday, so when it gets here I'll post my impressions. Sorry...I don't have a digicam, so I won't be able to post pics, but I'll try to be as thorough as I can when I post my impressions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif...(I REALLY like that gremlin!!!)

PJD

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

"light with a smaller lamp or led and a bright main lamp (which Surefire holds the patent on). "

Woah now, hang on a sec. Surefire patented having LEDs and incandescent in the same light? The Streamlight Cyclone and Trident have both bright main lamps and LEDs for low level lighting and have been around a lot longer than the (still non-existant) A2. Isn't a patent invalidated when another device with the same feature is shown to pre-exist? Or did I mis-interpret what Brock said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

L

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think MagLight is famous for filing patents on applications of technology that they believe competitors are about to introduce. Mag is said to receive a lot of these patents that cloud the water and drain competitors' treasuries for legal expenses.

A

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends on long ago Sure Fire has filed this patent. Duo headlamp has this design (a smaller lamp and a bright main lamp) years ago that might invalidate its patent.

Alan

T

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the Streamlight brochure that Jeff(Mr. Ted Bear) posted, SL is using a "patented LED/xenon combination for super brightness and ultra-long runtime." So unless they are licensing this from SF (extremely doubtful), it would appear that they have a very different opinion about who holds the patent. Which brings up the question, what will this patent holder do about the A2?

Pat

madecov

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting flashlight.
Where can you get replacement bulbs ? I like to have at least one or two replacement bulbs for every flashlight I have.

D

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

It was just posted that the xenon bi-pin bulb from the Legend LX should fit, thats comparable to a SF P-60 in brightness.

GJW

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's a SureFire patent from May 2002 that's for:
"A flashlight having a flashlight head with two merged yet independent lamp/reflector systems, the head including a common reflector structure having two reflectors of differing light projecting characteristics, the two reflectors arranged side by side with a common boundary across part of the common reflector structure."

To me this sounds more like the 10X than the A2.

A different patent is from April 2000 for:
"A flashlight beam is cast with a first lamp and reflector assembly, an alternative second lamp and reflector assembly is substituted for that first lamp and reflector assembly and a second light beam of a different configuration is cast with that alternative second lamp and reflector assembly."

That doesn't sound like the A2 either.

L

leddite

Enlightened

sounds like a car head light. if my car is nothing more than a large
mobile flashlight, then it's prior art :>

[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
The SureFire patent is from May 2002 and is for:
"A flashlight having a flashlight head with two merged yet independent lamp/reflector systems, the head including a common reflector structure having two reflectors of differing light projecting characteristics, the two reflectors arranged side by side with a common boundary across part of the common reflector structure."

To me this sounds more like the 10X than the A2.

[/ QUOTE ]

GJW

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Streamlight has a patent from 1999 for:

"The invention is a multi-beam flashlight device with a high intensity lamp in a rotatable reflector housing at one end of the device, and a low intensity lamp positioned in the reflector housing to generate a low intensity light beam at an acute angle relative to the high intensity beam."

Sounds a lot like the SureFire 9N so far doesn't it?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It goes on:
"Each lamp bulb is controlled individually by separate switches located on the case of the flashlight. A flat-sided ring member encircles the rotatable reflector housing to prevent the flashlight from rolling when placed on a surface. The low intensity lamp may be designed to produce a colored low intensity beam to reduce visual detection from a distance."

A

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

GJW, I think the patent you describe is for Syclone.

Alan

A

arioch

Enlightened

Anybody have info on those SL TaskLights? Namely, are they available yet? If so, where can I get my hands on one? The 3aa LS looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif And how come they aren't on the Streamlight website??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

J

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr Ted Bear-I can't access the photo link ???

Anybody help here.

4x4Dragon

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
arioch said:
Anybody have info on those SL TaskLights? Namely, are they available yet? If so, where can I get my hands on one? The 3aa LS looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif And how come they aren't on the Streamlight website??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I called Streamlight and they told me to call back in about 2 weeks to request a brochure/more information. the rep said they will be available around May of this year.

But for confirmation, they are coming out with them, i've confirmed that with Streamlight.