Does Energizer Still Make 6 Volt Lantern Batteries?

Race

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

New member here - have been enjoying the forums.

I'm trying to find some alkaline 6 volt lantern batteries that use F cells. I can't find one on Energizer's web site. Does anyone know if they have discontinued production? I've also not seen as many of them around as I have Duracell.

Does anyone know product numbers that would reveal which ones have the F cells?

Thanks.

moderator007

Enlightened
Model 529 maybe the one you are looking for. One of the reviewers (bill in NC) at amazon.com says that this 6v 529 alkaline battery contains F cells. Homedepot has them but the model is 529-TP1. Have no idea if their the same. Amazon does have them. Lots of other places if you use the 529 in the search. Batteryprice.com has a EN529 that says it contains four 3-361 cells.

Update:
Found some info on the Energizer 529 says they contain four 3-361 cells.
More info on the 3-361 cells which are F cells. Learn something ever day on here.:grin2:
Run across another pdf stating the 528 also contained the 3-361 cell.
According to what I read the US version has F cells. The canadian edition contains D cells.

Last edited:

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Energizer 6 volt square lantern batteries (spring terminal) are numbers 529-4D and 529-4F. I've seen the batteries in stores but haven't looked to see which they were.

EDIT: In the past I've seen the two versions side by side in stores selling for the same price.

Last edited:

Race

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a look at the Home Depot here and see if they have it in stock.

Best.

ncbill

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, Energizer 6V lantern batteries now all use D cells inside...no model offers F cells.

The only 6V lantern battery I know of that still uses F cells is Ray-o-Vac model 808.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
The ones with the screw in terminals are almost impossible to find now and when you do they are pricey. I have some Energizer alkaline spring terminal batteries from awhile back, one is only a couple years old (not sure how long it sat at the store) and they were using F cells at the time. I think one is well over 15 years old and still works. Ray-o-vac were actually using the D cells in their cheaper alkaline spring terminal batteries at the time. I always remember them being about half the price of the Energizer and Duracells. I'm surprised Ray-o-vac has a model that has F cells still.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can tell if a typical alkaline 6V spring top lantern battery has F cells by weight - one with alkaline F cells should weigh about 31 oz and one with alkaline D cells weighs about 23.5 oz.

Since F cell alkaline 6V are being phased out, it is probably better to get a 4D cell to 6V adapter and use D cells:

KTgmOSx.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I've seen those, thanks for the reminder! I have an Energizer industrial lantern light I bought at Big Lots a very long time ago that is an incredible thrower. I have a PR based (4D) 6 volt Maglite magnumstar in it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a few 6V lanterns, though the only one that gets regular use is one of these:

zxIZJh6.jpg

It's a Rayovac industrial grade 110 lumen LED that's built like a tank....it actually came with one of those adapters. I bought a couple more adapters from Dorcy, but it seems that neither Rayovac or Dorcy still make them.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Never got into the cheap LED lanterns, I never saw the point. I always have been an incan dude and really liked the big reflectors for the throw as well.

Dave_H

Enlightened
I never have reason to buy 6v batteries but have recovered several partially-good from recycle and run them down completely before (re-)recycle. D cells with cell adapters (as shown above) get used in the few lanterns which take 6v battery.

I have opened up several 6v batteries, often found cases where 1-2 of 4 cells are bad, others still good. Series connection renders the whole battery weak. May be partly due to sitting around for a long time. Good cells get used independently.

Duracell uses D cells. Another brand used special D cells which were not bumped.

Surprisingly one house-brand ("Likewise") 6v battery from Canadian Tire indicates on its case 4LR25 (F-cells), which I confirmed.

Zinc-carbon 6v tend to use full-size cells, likely to partially compensate for lower capacity than alkalines.

Dave

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most use plain flat top cells with spot welded tabs. Some of the duracells have actual wrapped duracell D cells that are not welded inside.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I could use the Mercedes and some F cell lantern batteries. So I'm glad we're all in agreement. :)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
4x 32700 LiFePO4 is a 2S2P configuration is another possibility for a rebuild. With the best 32700s around 7,000 mAh, capacity would be about 14,000 mAh.