Does it matter if a flashlight is outdate

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Hmm... i sway more to GarageBoy position, sometimes I feel 'wasting' away good source of energy on 'inefficient' older LED instead of the latest high flux crees/seouls.
Im not talking about CRI here, just pure lumens.
Thats why for my EDC, which I use quite often every day on construction site, and my camping lights are usually upgraded or replaced by newer one.

Btw, I use rechargeable AA and AAA, and primary CR123, no RCR123 or any lithium-ions/poly.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta' add . . . .

If it wasn't for constantly reading CPF,

we wouldn't even know that it WAS outta' date.

Think about it. :whistle:

Now that you mention it . . . .

My toaster is probably outta' date, also.

Luckily, i'm not aware of the fancy new models.

:cool:

_

You are a wise man Burgess!

Outdated lights make good loaners!

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
It should be noted that in an "island survival" scenario, the oldest form of light, the torch, is by a huge margin the most useful.

have you been watching
lost? they make great torches.

i have an old 5d maglite that i just can't see myself investing $$ into it to bring it back to life.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Usually by the time I buy a light it's almost a guarantee that a new model will come out. No problem. This way I've always got something better to look forward to getting.

Geoff

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one "outdated" light I'll always trust is my Lightwave 4000. Might not be as bright as the new lights,but you can't argue with 1 month between battery changes.(if it's used a lot...if not used much, even longer).I think this light will come in very handy in my new apartment,where buying D batteries locally (Safeway) would get quite expensive if I had to buy them sooner.

325addict

Enlightened
Well, to me it's an advantage when they are "outdated".

I like incans very much, and here at home, all those LED-lights I have never see much use. I only use LED-lights @ work, where other people tend to lend them. Definitely an advantage of LED-lights is their ruggedness. If it's a luxeon, or a Cree or a Seoul, that doesn't matter to me, as long as it provides usable light it's OK.
Non-flashaholics don't just get the point, that a C3 Centurion incan draws three expensive batteries empty within an hour, the lamp itself will only last 30 hours... if it doesn't get dropped, of course :whistle:

So I enjoy my incans @ home, the LED-lights I enjoy @ work. Here mostly the L1 LumaMax is used, This is really a good light (except for the ugly color of the light) but the levels of the lights' low and high-position are chosen excellently. Here, SureFire did a great job!

I will definitely keep on buying incans, I think I won't buy so many LED-lights any more, as the ones I have just do the job.

I still want some Wolf-Eyes and Surefire incans, combined with some AW-batteries and Lumens Factory lamp assemblies.

Timmo.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened
Unless the laws of physics have changed since you bought the light (and I assume they have not :D), then the light is as good as it ever was (if it's still in good condition). That may not be good enough (by today's standards) for you to consider it worthwhile to continue to use it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Unless the laws of physics have changed since you bought the light (and I assume they have not :D), then the light is as good as it ever was (if it's still in good condition). That may not be good enough (by today's standards) for you to consider it worthwhile to continue to use it.

+1
its only outdated "relatively speaking"

crocodilo

Enlightened
If it works well enough for the required use...

But, then again, given the choice, why would you choose a good tool over a better tool?

Some characteristics withstand very well the test of time. A good UI and a solid construction are timeless.

Others not so much. Efficiency, for instance. Max brightness, max runtime, better tint or beam pattern.