Does your Zebra 51W get pretty warm too when left on high1?

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I just got a Zebra 51W. Great light, love the interface!

I wanted to rule out early light failure, so I ran it on high (~170 lumens) until it dimmed. I felt it along the way, and it got really warm. Not so hot that I can't hold it, but it was like holding a hot mug.

Is that normal? Like seems to be working ok. I can see a difference between high1 and high2, but I have no equipment to test lumens...and it's hard to remember how bright it was at first...

I'm kind of a newbie, so I don't have a good feel for these things.

Thanks all.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
That sounds normal. It's tiny and bright, generating loads of heat. There isn't much area for the heat to disperse over, so it warms up.

If it's warming up in lower modes, you've got a problem.

monju123

Newly Enlightened
You haven't truly lived until you ask yourself, "Why is my thigh burning?" and you realize your ZL has been on in your pocket.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
You haven't truly lived until you ask yourself, "Why is my thigh burning?" and you realize your ZL has been on in your pocket.

My H51w hasn't had any accidental activations since I've had it, and I carry it clipped to my front pocket (one of several reasons I chose it over the SC51w).

It does get warm when run on H1 for longer periods. As long as it just gets warm and not very hot, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with you coachclasss, the UI is awesome... I love it too! :)

lebox97

Enlightened
:welcome:
hot body means heat sinking is working and pulling heat away from LED and circuit...
I would be more concerned about body NOT getting warm/hot...

PS: high output lights are designed to be handheld - as such your hand also heat sinks/pulls heat away from the light body -
the worst thing a person can do is switch a light on high and set it on a table etc... no additional heat sinking or air movement is bad news...

Tod

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
the worst thing a person can do is switch a light on high and set it on a table etc... no additional heat sinking or air movement is bad news...

That's kind of what I was wondering. How sophisticated is heat managment/heat sensing on something like the Zebralight? For $60, I kind of doubt they have heat sensors...but is there any danger of overheating and permanent failures? Is it safe to use it on high regularly? I wish the manufacturer gives some usage guidelines.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any need for heat sensors in something like a 1xAA light, even running a 14500. The fact it's getting warm means it's working right; ZL's sink heat very well because of their fully potted construction and cooling fins. The only time mine has ever gotten even close to hot was clipped to a seatbelt inside our van conversion car-camping on a hot indian-summer night last fall.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight should do fine-it has much more surface area than other 1xAA lights.

This.

Also, my recollection is that zebralights also have special care taken to insure good thermal transmission across most of the external casing. My SC51 casing gets quite warm across its entire length when I run it for any length of time on 14500... but it still works fine. Zebralights also have a nice beefy head with heatsink vanes. Much better than what many other small lights have.

In contrast, I had a Jetbeam BK135a that overheated and died after being held in hand on high for just 5 minutes with a 1.5v AA inside.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I'm a huge fan of the SC60W. and haven't experienced the hot thigh. What I have done though is, (I think), a too slow turn off where I put the 'light back into low 1 and pocketed it without noticing that it was lit - I had been checking the power steering levels in a daylight situation, so it was no fault of ZL: About a week later I pulled it out of my jacket in a very dark fuse box situation and ...hello, hello; it was about body temperature and had lots of 18650 juice left.

This such a great light and such a solid company, I really feel we should get behind them: And they do listen! :party:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say my 51w gets warm on Hi, but not hot. I've had some single AA lights that get plain HOT (like scary hot) when run on Hi.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought warm/hot meant that the heat sink was doing its job cooling the LED?