Donations Needed for Christmas Gifts X!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, I was a bit tardy with the e-mail this year too. Just wanted to be absolutely sure to pick out lights that would be worthy of this excellent Tradition.

E-mail sent, just a moment ago. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have the same question as apache blue. Please let me know if you got it, and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the recipient will care what Guy has to offer... I along with a lot of people here would accept ANYTHING he gives out.

On another note, when will we know who we are shipping out to?

Last edited:

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the recipient will not care what Guy has to offer... I along with a lot of people here would accept ANYTHING he gives out.

On another note, when will we know who we are shipping out to?

LOL I think If I were receiving, my first choice would definitely be "some random lights" from guy

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine too !

I'll be posting the receiving thread in a few moments, sorry about the delay everyone.

Craig

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't think the recipient will care what Guy has to offer... I along with a lot of people here would accept ANYTHING he gives out.

It's not as though random lights are shipped out to recipients in random order. Yes, I'm sure they would be happy to get anything. However, recipients do get to pick & choose.

Donors e-mail the member gracious enough to host the Giveaway, with a list of the light(s) they wish to donate. A huge list is then recreated in a new topic, along with the list of recipients and the order in which they get to pick. Once we reach the bottom of the list, if there are lights still left on the Master List, the recipients get to pick again but in reverse order.

There are pragmatic reasons why it is done this way. Biggest one being that if you just send random lights to random members, they could easily end up with lights they can't use; for a variety of reasons. For example, if a recipient ends up with a light that runs off of an 18650 and they don't have a charger or spare cells; the light won't be too useful to them. Even if an 18650 battery is provided. Another member may have chosen not to own any lights that run off of multiple CR123 cells because they want to completely avoid a potential "vent with flame" scenario. For them, receiving something such as an older SureFire M3 is going to be something that'll just be tossed onto the CPF Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum.

As someone who has donated over the years, I can honestly say it makes me smile every time a recipient returns and mentions how useful one of my donated lights has been to him. The method used over the years for the Christmas Giveaway is how we ensure that recipients truly get the type of light that they either genuinely need or want.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I donated my Dereelight, I threw in cells and a charger. Those were not too hot - Ultrafire and Trustfire but they got the recipient going.

I am donating a 2AA this time and do not plan to include batteries unless requested. The batteries that came with the light plus a spare set almost doubled the weight of the package and Canada Post has the highest rates in the world. Cheaper to send a money order and have the recipient buy them locally.

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
It's not as though random lights are shipped out to recipients in random order. Yes, I'm sure they would be happy to get anything. However, recipients do get to pick & choose.

Donors e-mail the member gracious enough to host the Giveaway, with a list of the light(s) they wish to donate. A huge list is then recreated in a new topic, along with the list of recipients and the order in which they get to pick. Once we reach the bottom of the list, if there are lights still left on the Master List, the recipients get to pick again but in reverse order.

There are pragmatic reasons why it is done this way. Biggest one being that if you just send random lights to random members, they could easily end up with lights they can't use; for a variety of reasons. For example, if a recipient ends up with a light that runs off of an 18650 and they don't have a charger or spare cells; the light won't be too useful to them. Even if an 18650 battery is provided. Another member may have chosen not to own any lights that run off of multiple CR123 cells because they want to completely avoid a potential "vent with flame" scenario. For them, receiving something such as an older SureFire M3 is going to be something that'll just be tossed onto the CPF Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum.

As someone who has donated over the years, I can honestly say it makes me smile every time a recipient returns and mentions how useful one of my donated lights has been to him. The method used over the years for the Christmas Giveaway is how we ensure that recipients truly get the type of light that they either genuinely need or want.

Mono,

I think you took what was said the wrong way, the implication was not that the recipient would/should be glad to get anything. What I meant was that anything contributed by guy was bound to be something that any flashaholic would be proud of regardless of personal circumstance (his lights are awesome!).
Your point regarding cells etc. is valid and probably worth bearing in mind for donators, if people struggle to afford a light it's going to be a huge stretch to expect them to spend money on batteries and chargers.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL I think If I were receiving, my first choice would definitely be "some random lights" from guy

mine too !

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence :twothumbs

Monocrom,

Thanks for the great summary :D
Its my first year to donate so this really clarifies how everything is set up and why.
I'll be sure to include batteries and required accessories.

Mono,

I think you took what was said the wrong way, the implication was not that the recipient would/should be glad to get anything. What I meant was that anything contributed by guy was bound to be something that any flashaholic would be proud of regardless of personal circumstance (his lights are awesome!).
Your point regarding cells etc. is valid and probably worth bearing in mind for donators, if people struggle to afford a light it's going to be a huge stretch to expect them to spend money on batteries and chargers.

Thanks apache blue :bow:
Hopefully the lights are a right match for someone on the list.

tgwnn

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in email is on its way.
what a great idea :thumbsup:
I have a bad habit of purchasing a light than the next day I think to myself why did I do that and they sit unopened in a draw. Time to clear out that draw.

cheers

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looks like this year's Giveaway is shaping up to be another success.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
I didn't know such a tradition existed for so many years now... I'd like to make a donation too and it'll also make a nice round number 20 at least!

Update: :ohgeez: As is often the case with me, I've been clueless and am once again late to the party! In case there are more like me out there who would like to join-in, visit this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?348237-Christmas-Gifts-X!-(enter-here) The Christmas spirit is already flowing! Join in to donate if you can!

Last edited:

radar696

Newly Enlightened
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Gunner12
Is it ok if I buy a new light to be sent directly to the winner?

I've done it many times.
Yes KSBMAN!
And I can never thank you enough!

That flashlight was a high point during a very bad portion of my life and it is still near and dear to heart.
OLight M20 Warrior with (2) 18650 batteries and a charger.
I carry it everywhere I go.

I do have to say that everytime things starts to look like I'm getting ahead something comes along and hits me from the side.

This is a great thing that is done by those of you on this forum please don't stop.
Thank you all.

Radar