Done using my phone as a light. I need a headlight for my random biking.

Brannon132

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys.

Like I said I'm using my phone as a light and I need something better. I'm no professional rider and I am riding a Diamondback recoil and don't care about weight.

I ride on logging roads and trails after work and sometimes I don't get back until dark and I'm using my phone as a light. I'm not doing Mach speeds at night just need a light for the ride back.

Me and my kiddos (8,6,4) like to ride on a paved trail that goes from our town through a couple other towns and a lot of times were riding back all using my phone as a light to illuminate our way home.

Last thing is that I broke my leg last year and part of my rehab is riding my bike for 30-60 minutes 3-4 days a week so I ride around town on the streets and sidewalks and since it's winter I'm riding in the dark and even though there are street lights in still using my phone for the dark parts.

I was looking at the Niterider dual 1800 for $130 but I don't like the proprietary charger. I would rather have a micro USB or a USB c charger. That led me to the Niterider 1200 OLED with the solas 250 for $180. Are there better options in the $200 range for a headlight and taillight and would be willing to spend more or less for better a better options.

I've never had a light for my bike or ridden a bike with a light so I have no idea what to get so I really appreciate your guy's help with my situation.

Also if anyone knows of any decent cheap rechargable lights for my little ones bikes let me know.

Thanks again, Brannon

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a biker myself but just a quick look around a few of the manufacturers I trust and I came across a couple of options. I can't really say if they are GOOD options as I haven't used any of them myself but just their spec sheets seem promising.

Olight Allty 2000 is definitely comparable with your Niteriders and has more output. Although I'm not sure you will notice much difference between 1800 and 2000 lumens in practical use. The big difference is likely going to be run time.

Nitecore BR35 looks like it was designed to be an absolute tank of a light. Dual lights and a huge 6800 mA/h battery pack should give you plenty of light for your trips.

JetBeam BR30 seems super simple and yet still has a 5100 mA/h 21700 battery and 1800 lumens output. It's also rated IPX8 which I feel any bike light should be rated.

Brannon132

Newly Enlightened
It's pretty awkward Vad. Does that armytek have a bike mount on it or is it only a headlamp? Also does anyone have any experiences with the lights that I was originally looking at?

Thanks again,
Brannon

Brannon132

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the recommendation, I will look into that one as well and whatever one I end up getting I will post my review.

Thanks again,
Brannon