dont ever move to a small town!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
No…. This is the problem. You go after the idiots committing the crimes not the device they use to commit them.
Do you realize those things go upwards of 40 mph? And the riders are happy to ride on sidewalks or wherever to evade the police. You're right in principal but wrong in practice. Chasing these thugs down is going to hurt/kill more people than they're hurting/killing now.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the days we instituted a national 55 mph speed limit. Of course it largely wasn't obeyed but "safety" was the second reason given for it after saving fuel, which was the primary reason. When we saw it wasn't being obeyed, you started having draconian enforcement. More people died due to police chases than supposedly would have been saved by the lower speed. Police chases in urban areas especially are problematic.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you realize those things go upwards of 40 mph? And the riders are happy to ride on sidewalks or wherever to evade the police. You're right in principal but wrong in practice. Chasing these thugs down is going to hurt/kill more people than they're hurting/killing now.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the days we instituted a national 55 mph speed limit. Of course it largely wasn't obeyed but "safety" was the second reason given for it after saving fuel, which was the primary reason. When we saw it wasn't being obeyed, you started having draconian enforcement. More people died due to police chases than supposedly would have been saved by the lower speed. Police chases in urban areas especially are problematic.
Work smarter instead of harder. They can't outrun Motorola. You set up traps, then chase them into them. Indians used to run bison off of cliffs.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Work smarter instead of harder. They can't outrun Motorola. You set up traps, then chase them into them. Indians used to run bison off of cliffs.
If only there were the equivalent of cliffs here to run these idiots off of. I'm all for your idea here but I'm just wondering how effective it's going to be when there are myriad places they can turn off to avoid the trap. Too bad these vehicles don't have electronic ignition. The NYPD could set up EMP strips and just disable them.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO, and I'm not a LEO, and never have been, but I think most people who are only facing a speeding ticket, pull over and stop. The people that try to elude and evade have wants, warrants or have something illegal in the vehicle. If they get caught, they will get arrested and face time in jail/prison, so they have nothing to lose in running. I listen to these chases on my scanners, and here they either bailout and get caught, or crash and get caught. I don't know about other places, just my area.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
IMO, and I'm not a LEO, and never have been, but I think most people who are only facing a speeding ticket, pull over and stop. The people that try to elude and evade have wants, warrants or have something illegal in the vehicle. If they get caught, they will get arrested and face time in jail/prison, so they have nothing to lose in running. I listen to these chases on my scanners, and here they either bailout and get caught, or crash and get caught. I don't know about other places, just my area.
Well in this case, the vehicle itself is illegal, so they have at least that to lose. Besides, these are mostly teenagers who think it's "kewl" to try to outrun the cops. I'm sure some of them may have outstanding warrants, but it's mostly just youth and stupidity. I see them do wheelies or other nonsense. I want to say if the city provided them a place to ride these things off-street it might stop, but the hard fact is some of these kids get off on terrorizing people with their vehicles. In the end it's really a parenting, or rather lack of parenting, problem. Maybe the police should arrest the parents also. I'm sure they know "junior" has an illegal dirt bike or ATV. They just don't care.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well in this case, the vehicle itself is illegal, so they have at least that to lose. Besides, these are mostly teenagers who think it's "kewl" to try to outrun the cops. I'm sure some of them may have outstanding warrants, but it's mostly just youth and stupidity. I see them do wheelies or other nonsense. I want to say if the city provided them a place to ride these things off-street it might stop, but the hard fact is some of these kids get off on terrorizing people with their vehicles. In the end it's really a parenting, or rather lack of parenting, problem. Maybe the police should arrest the parents also. I'm sure they know "junior" has an illegal dirt bike or ATV. They just don't care.
I imagine a PSA instructing the citizens to open vehicle doors at opportune moments might help, if the public would cooperate, but given Gnu Yawkers reputation for not getting involved, it likely would not be effective.

Poppy

Flashaholic
In the city I work in, it is my understanding that the police have been instructed to NOT give Chase. IF there is a chase there is a high probability of someone getting hurt, and lawsuits will ensue.

Therefore the kids know that if they run there will be no chase.

Perhaps if there are more "Big Brother surveillance video cameras" more will be apprehended, but who wants that?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I imagine a PSA instructing the citizens to open vehicle doors at opportune moments might help, if the public would cooperate, but given Gnu Yawkers reputation for not getting involved, it likely would not be effective.
That's a thought. :love:

We get involved, it just takes a while before we reach that point. Remember Bernhard Geotz?

The untold story is he had quite a few "followers" who did similar things, but they never got caught. I personally beat the crap out of wannabee mugger in that same time frame with a piece of rebar. Didn't kill him, but I hope I made him rethink his chosen occupation.

As a cyclist I hate other cyclists who give us a bad name. That's the ones who fly through red signals without even bothering to look, while almost hitting people crossing. Yes, I go through reds myself, but I treat them as yields, prepared to stop if anything is coming. I have no tolerance for reckless riding. Anyway, a few times I saw people ride like that, I caught up and kicked their bikes down. Like I said, we get involved eventually if things get bad enough.
Surely there's not a culture problem in that big fancy city that nobody respects the law?
It's just a numbers game. Probably the same percentage of criminals here as anywhere else, but given the higher density each criminal can affect more people. NYers are already at their tolerance for this stuff. We're going to fight back if the police can't fix it.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the city I work in, it is my understanding that the police have been instructed to NOT give Chase. IF there is a chase there is a high probability of someone getting hurt, and lawsuits will ensue.

Therefore the kids know that if they run there will be no chase.

Perhaps if there are more "Big Brother surveillance video cameras" more will be apprehended, but who wants that?
I imagine in NYC there are already enough cams and face recognition software to identify the culprits, just no political backbone strong enough to prosecute and incarcerate the perpetrators.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no argument really. I'm just messing. I've lived in Johnson city tn and hated it. Spent lots and lots of time in Atlanta and actually enjoyed my time there. Spent a month in Madison Wisconsin and loved it. I'd just rather be in a little town or county.

Status
Not open for further replies.