dont ever move to a small town!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Not even close 🤔

I was about to write something similar. The US healthcare system is a bad joke. Twice the cost for inferior outcomes. Sure, those with the means can get the best care in the world, but for your average person it's awful. I had no health insurance from the time I got kicked off my parent's plan in college. I'll finally have it again in 4 years and 2 months when I'm old enough to qualify for Medicare.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are seeing the beginning of anarchy in the big cities now. It is going to get worse, as long as Biden/Democrats stay in power. If you are in a big city, get out now--you don't want to be there when society really starts breaking down, it will fall exponentially very quickly. There are not enough police and military to handle a full blown breakdown of society. Again, if you want to survive the coming crisis, get out of the big cities NOW! Get well away from them, as the gangs will pour out, raiding the suburbs as they go. We will likely see the dissolving of the USA, as states break off, and go to war against other states.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You are seeing the beginning of anarchy in the big cities now. It is going to get worse, as long as Biden/Democrats stay in power. If you are in a big city, get out now--you don't want to be there when society really starts breaking down, it will fall exponentially very quickly. There are not enough police and military to handle a full blown breakdown of society. Again, if you want to survive the coming crisis, get out of the big cities NOW! Get well away from them, as the gangs will pour out, raiding the suburbs as they go. We will likely see the dissolving of the USA, as states break off, and go to war against other states.
If I were a betting person I wouldn't wager a dime on that happening. Here's why. The rich are heavily invested in large cities. They may not give two sh*ts about anyone but themselves, but they care about their money. They won't let anarchy happen. If push comes to shove you'll see armies of paid mercenaries in NYC and elsewhere gunning down criminals and looters left and right. You'll probably see the citizenry doing the same (despite the strict gun laws lots of law-abiding people here still have guns, but just don't advertise the fact).

I'll be damned if I'm going to leave my city because a bunch of lowlifes think they can take it over. Yeah, the city will probably look like a scene out of one of the Death Wish movies for a while, but it'll survive.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were a betting person I wouldn't wager a dime on that happening. Here's why. The rich are heavily invested in large cities. They may not give two sh*ts about anyone but themselves, but they care about their money. They won't let anarchy happen. If push comes to shove you'll see armies of paid mercenaries in NYC and elsewhere gunning down criminals and looters left and right. You'll probably see the citizenry doing the same (despite the strict gun laws lots of law-abiding people here still have guns, but just don't advertise the fact).

I'll be damned if I'm going to leave my city because a bunch of lowlifes think they can take it over. Yeah, the city will probably look like a scene out of one of the Death Wish movies for a while, but it'll survive.
Don't count on it. The rich will be the first ones to bug out to their rural homes, well away from the chaos. They will simply wait it out, then when things calm down, come back and reclaim and buy up properties for practically nothing and make more money off of them. If the insurance companies survive, they will collect insurance on their losses. The wealthy always come out fine, but they aren't going to stick around while the walls fall around them.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Don't count on it. The rich will be the first ones to bug out to their rural homes, well away from the chaos. They will simply wait it out, then when things calm down, come back and reclaim and buy up properties for practically nothing and make more money off of them. If the insurance companies survive, they will collect insurance on their losses. The wealthy always come out fine, but they aren't going to stick around while the walls fall around them.
They can't take their skyscrapers with them to those rural homes. They may physically leave, but they'll make sure anything they own gets protected.

"Buy up properties for practically nothing and make money off of them" implies the cities would eventually come back. If not, they threw their money away.

BTW, there's supposedly enough empty real estate in China to house its population and then some. This presents a potential solution to the migrant problem. Try to find terms where China would take these people, perhaps in exchange for the US allowing more of China's citizens to come here. China has a high youth unemployment rate and not enough jobs suitable for college graduates. The US is looking for skilled labor. I think it would be a perfect solution.

Maybe some US citizens looking for more affordable housing could go there as well. The CCP considers all these empty homes a major national embarrassment, so they might bite.

While we're at it, see if they'll take some of our criminals and reform them in their justice system. My understanding is most prisons in Asian countries are brutal. Even the most hardened criminals will straighten out.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can't take their skyscrapers with them to those rural homes. They may physically leave, but they'll make sure anything they own gets protected.

"Buy up properties for practically nothing and make money off of them" implies the cities would eventually come back. If not, they threw their money away.

BTW, there's supposedly enough empty real estate in China to house its population and then some. This presents a potential solution to the migrant problem. Try to find terms where China would take these people, perhaps in exchange for the US allowing more of China's citizens to come here. China has a high youth unemployment rate and not enough jobs suitable for college graduates. The US is looking for skilled labor. I think it would be a perfect solution.

Maybe some US citizens looking for more affordable housing could go there as well. The CCP considers all these empty homes a major national embarrassment, so they might bite.

While we're at it, see if they'll take some of our criminals and reform them in their justice system. My understanding is most prisons in Asian countries are brutal. Even the most hardened criminals will straighten out.
You worry me.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's called thinking of potential solutions to a problem, instead of accepting a bad outcome as inevitable. You know, like the US used to do in the 1940s through 1960s. Then we just gave up in the 1970s. Nowadays it takes a freaking year or more just to get something like a bike lane installed, never mind anything more substantial.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called thinking of potential solutions to a problem, instead of accepting a bad outcome as inevitable. You know, like the US used to do in the 1940s through 1960s. Then we just gave up in the 1970s. Nowadays it takes a freaking year or more just to get something like a bike lane installed, never mind anything more substantial.
Back in the '40's through '60's, you had adults in charge. Now, their idiot, head-in-the-clouds kids and grandkids are running things. Basically, the inmates are running the asylum. Everything is turned inside out and backwards. Bad is good, good is bad. Heroes are evil, villains are heroes. Half the nation has gone insane, and have a pathological hatred of the sane people who deal with reality instead of rainbows and unicorns.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the 40's through 60's there were no bike lanes. Everybody who rode a bike understood car vs bike means car wins and adjusted accordingly.

Last summer where I work a cyclist was trying to get in his daily miles and while crossing an on ramp suddenly realized the car on the ramp was not stopping for him. In the 1960's dude would've stopped. Last summer dude crossed 3 lanes of traffic trying not to stop and got run over by a pickup truck. But hey, he was setting a record time so there is that, right?

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Back in the '40's through '60's, you had adults in charge. Now, their idiot, head-in-the-clouds kids and grandkids are running things. Basically, the inmates are running the asylum. Everything is turned inside out and backwards. Bad is good, good is bad. Heroes are evil, villains are heroes. Half the nation has gone insane, and have a pathological hatred of the sane people who deal with reality instead of rainbows and unicorns.
Only half? More like 90% plus. Seriously, one single thing we could do to fix the problem-ban political parties. Far too many people vote for the party, not the person. You could have Mickey Mouse running with either a D or an R next to his name and he'll probably get at least 40% of the vote. Both parties have litmus tests which weed out the very people who might make the best leaders. Good leaders don't follow far left or far right orthodoxy. They analyze the problem, then see what the best fix is, independent of ideology. That movie "Idiocracy" seems to be playing out in real time lately.
In the 40's through 60's there were no bike lanes. Everybody who rode a bike understood car vs bike means car wins and adjusted accordingly.

Last summer where I work a cyclist was trying to get in his daily miles and while crossing an on ramp suddenly realized the car on the ramp was not stopping for him. In the 1960's dude would've stopped. Last summer dude crossed 3 lanes of traffic trying not to stop and got run over by a pickup truck. But hey, he was setting a record time so there is that, right?
There was far less traffic back then, and cars weren't stupidly overpowered like now. If I recall, 15 to 20 seconds was an average time to get from 0 to 60 mph. Even race cars took 5 or 6 or 7 seconds. Nowadays practically every car on the road can do that. In essence, we have race cars piloted by complete morons with minimal training. What could go wrong? Excess power lets people do all kinds of really dumb things, like accelerate into any gap in traffic to save 0.2 seconds. In the face of that, it's no surprise cyclists want to be physically separated.

Sure, in the 1960s the dude might have stopped for two reasons. With less traffic, there were far fewer occasions where he would actually need to stop, so stopping occasionally was no big deal. Two, there were far fewer traffic controls which compelled him to stop for NO reason, like red signals which are red even if there's no cross traffic. That's just bad, lazy engineering. We don't want to stop motorists or cyclists unless it's needed to prevent an actual collision, as in someone or something is crossing the road. On some streets in NYC, if you cycle legally, you'll be stopping almost every block. No surprise then that most cyclists bend the law, although to their credit most do in such a manner as to not put themselves or others in danger. Paris even made this legal, allowing treating red signals as yields. It actually proved to be safer for everyone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dude would have stopped because in the game of car vs bicycle the car wins every time. Nowdays bicyclists seem to think a 2 ton hunk of iron going 35mph toward them means they have to stop in time. Physics.... specifically the law of inertia dictates otherwise. In my state the cyclists do actually have the right of way yet on the cyclist I mentioned's tombstone it reads "here lies Billy the biker who did have the right of way".

There is this giant tract of land outside of NYC by the way. It's called everywhere else in America.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
There is this giant tract of land outside of NYC by the way. It's called everywhere else in America.
Same laws of physics apply though as to why cyclists prefer to stay in motion.

Speaking of the rest of America, the odd thing is outside of other large cities, which all have their unique characteristics (and unique neighborhoods), stick me anywhere in America and I will be hard-pressed to tell you where I am. I've been to Long Island, NJ, upstate NY, Virginia, Connecticut, New Hampshire, PA, probably a few other states I forgot. It all looks practically the same to me. Rows of single family shingle homes, parking lots with Home Depot or other big box stores, major arterials, feeder roads, highways, cul-de-sacs.

I'm sure the parts of the country untouched by humans are a different story, but so much of the built environment of this country is the same monotonous thing over and over. A guy who lives in Australia on another forum said the same about the 'burbs over there. You can drive for hours and feel you haven't gone anywhere.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should stay to the shoulder, not take up the lane. I am all for exercise, but they aren't cars and should stay to the shoulder. If the shoulder isn't paved then stay on the edge of the road so traffic can pass.
You aren't taking into consideration that on top of everything else that makes New York the greatest place on Earth that the cyclists average 30mph!! If the bicycle riders in Virginia were that fast if almost never complain.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Remember back in 1975 when the city literally ran out of money and went Bankrupt for a hot minute? No funds, couldn't borrow any. President told the Mayor the city could drop dead! But then Anarchy and Rioting was prevented (at least until two years later when it broke out for another reason). The Ulta-Rich likely pulled the President aside and told him that there was too much of their money tied up in the city to let it rot away. All of a sudden, overnight bail-out! Lots of tax-payer money! Yay! 🥳 💵

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You aren't taking into consideration that on top of everything else that makes New York the greatest place on Earth that the cyclists average 30mph!! If the bicycle riders in Virginia were that fast if almost never complain.
All joking aside one funny thing I remember when I started college was my sister's comment about why are people riding so slow here? This was Princeton, NJ, and yeah, I had noticed the same thing. It's not like cyclists in NYC ride at 30 mph all the time (other than the idiots on e-bikes), but they tend to move at a much faster clip than in some of these small towns. I think 75% of the people I saw riding in college were well under 10 mph. Based on my (admittedly anecdotal) observations, I'd say your average NYC cyclist does around 15 mph.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
All joking aside one funny thing I remember when I started college was my sister's comment about why are people riding so slow here? This was Princeton, NJ, and yeah, I had noticed the same thing. It's not like cyclists in NYC ride at 30 mph all the time (other than the idiots on e-bikes), but they tend to move at a much faster clip than in some of these small towns. I think 75% of the people I saw riding in college were well under 10 mph. Based on my (admittedly anecdotal) observations, I'd say your average NYC cyclist does around 15 mph.
Campus bicyclists live in a serene, dream world of academia. They aren't riding for their lives like NYC bicyclists in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.