dont ever move to a small town!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Campus bicyclists live in a serene, dream world of academia. They aren't riding for their lives like NYC bicyclists in traffic.
Heck, our bicyclists are violently suicidal!
No other way to explain how the vast majority of them ride.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Remember back in 1975 when the city literally ran out of money and went Bankrupt for a hot minute? No funds, couldn't borrow any. President told the Mayor the city could drop dead! But then Anarchy and Rioting was prevented (at least until two years later when it broke out for another reason). The Ulta-Rich likely pulled the President aside and told him that there was too much of their money tied up in the city to let it rot away. All of a sudden, overnight bail-out! Lots of tax-payer money! Yay! 🥳 💵
To this day I still remember that headline:

1695867816872.png

Of course, as you said, it never happened. Besides the money the wealthy have tied up, the NY metro area contributes quite a bit to the national economy:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The hotter the pepper, the faster the ride.

With a hot enough pepper, even a New York minute would seem long! 🥵🤬
This has me thinking now. Instead of the Scoville scale we could simply use mph ratings. Much easier to test. Restaurants will start competing with signs like "Try our new 27 mph peppers!", then their competition will one up that: "33 mph peppers! Fastest in the country."

They should stay to the shoulder, not take up the lane. I am all for exercise, but they aren't cars and should stay to the shoulder. If the shoulder isn't paved then stay on the edge of the road so traffic can pass.

I think this is the type of behavior rwolfenstein is referring to -

190fd61fbb0f8d835bdfc141de7d5a3a.jpg

zephyr424

Newly Enlightened
there is nothing close by . i went looking for a good therapist and phycologist . there are no good ones hell there is non even bad ones lol. wtf lol? sure we have no crime and its pretty here but so boring lol. plus i feel like a alien here lol like i have a diaper on my head and im covred in cottage cheese
I don't know. Maybe learn how to write a sentence first. Then you can rationally decide whether a small town or city is best for you, and possibly even guide others into making decisions based upon your considered and illumined experiences.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have the same rights as cars where i live...
As far as I know, they have the same rights as cars in Kansas. In fact, I would advise bicyclists to ride in the middle of the lane, to avoid a car forcing you into the side of the road or off the road. Most streets and roads do not have room for both a bike and a car, as most weren't designed for both. It bothers me, as a motorist, to see bicyclists riding in the gutter instead of the middle of the lane--they are more likely not going to be seen there, as opposed to the middle of the lane, and they certainly will not get respect from most motorists, who will be tempted to take up the whole lane and very likely either clip the rider or force them to wreck.

Yeah, getting stuck behind a lane full of bicyclists going slower than the speed limit in a no passing zone kind of sucks, but that's why you start for your destination early, because schist happens (said the geologist), and you can be delayed. I hate getting stuck in a construction zone, waiting for a pilot vehicle, while a mile of vehicles pass. What are you gonna do? Suck it up, Buttercup! Life sucks, and then you die. Deal with it. I try to put myself in the other guy's shoes, it puts things in perspective. At least I'm not the person holding the stop sign in the heat for hours, or the person having to drive the pilot car back and forth, back and forth, back and forth all day. I'm not on one of those bicycles, pumping away up this loooong hill, sweating my azz off, worrying about some angry driver running me over because he is upset because he is stuck behind me, and thinks his progress is so much more important than mine, while I'm doing a bike-a-thon to raise money to cure some dread disease, while that yo-yo is probably just doing a beer run.

I try to put things in perspective. Most of my "problems" are silly little First World problems. Generally not a matter of life or death.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This is good advice. You're going to need a local Primary Care Provider. However, some medical insurance providers offer virtual check-ups and/or in-home visits by a care provider.
The latter makes sense. But I never understood virtual check-ups.
How can a doctor or a highly trained nurse properly examine a patient without physically being able to touch them? To literally examine them.

As far as Grammarly goes.... their success amazes me. I just think it screams volumes how miserable of a failure our Public School system is in America that such a service is both necessary and apparently quite profitable. And, not as though their service is primary aimed at individuals for whom English is a 2nd language that they've only recently learned. Nope! It's for native speakers.

yeah, i think you're right...

but, it's still not wrong.

Jim

What's not wrong? I contend that if cyclists are unable to maintain the posted speed limit and are therefore causing a traffic backup, they are required by law to allow traffic to pass them. Riding in a pack as shown in the photo is not sharing the road and causes unsafe conditions.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's not wrong? I contend that if cyclists are unable to maintain the posted speed limit and are therefore causing a traffic backup, they are required by law to allow traffic to pass them. Riding in a pack as shown in the photo is not sharing the road and causes unsafe conditions.
I respectfully disagree. The speed limit is the MAXIMUM speed allowable, not the minimum required. The only roads that have minimum speeds posted to my knowledge, are interstate highways. But I haven't been over every highway in the USA, so there may be others. I live in farm country, and getting stuck behind a piece of farm machinery (tractor, combine) or even road equipment, is not uncommon. Drivers have to be observant, and drive defensively. A clump of bicyclists doesn't take up any more room than an eighteen wheeler. Motorists, unless they are first responders on a code run, just don't have that much urgency, sorry. I know, you have places to go, and people to see, and things to do, so start early, take your time, and drive safely. Geez, I sound like a drivers ed teacher. Do I really have to say all this on a forum of adults? I certainly shouldn't have to.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Things are very much different here in New York.

Here, that speed limit is definitely the Minimum.
Want to go slower? Get over into the right-most lane and turn on your Hazard lights, if you're on the parkway. And, while Law Enforcement never openly talks about it, you can go 9 miles per hour above that limit before police officers will pull you over and ticket you if their radar says you went 10 or above.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things are very much different here in New York.

Here, that speed limit is definitely the Minimum.
Want to go slower? Get over into the right-most lane and turn on your Hazard lights, if you're on the parkway. And, while Law Enforcement never openly talks about it, you can go 9 miles per hour above that limit before police officers will pull you over and ticket you if their radar says you went 10 or above.
Hmmm, that must be that "New York state of mind" that I hear Billy Joel sing about. :crackup:

Country mouse here. I had to look up parkway. Found this photo on Wikipedia. Garden State Parkway. Now, where exactly would you have bicyclists ride here?

1695932399266.png

Status
Not open for further replies.