Dorcy 1AAA gen4 - Doug S Stage 2 Mod

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please see Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Mods for details and timed beamshot tests (to 40 hours) of the 3 different Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Spot mods by Doug S.

I was so pleased with the Stage 2 Mod and as testimony it has become my EDC -
so I decided it deserved a full comparison test in its own thread -

Size -
DorcyStg2Sz.jpg

Head view -
DorcyStg2HdC.jpg

compared to Stock gen4 -
High -
Stg2_Stk.jpg
Stg2_Stk2U.jpg

the stage 2 mod on High shows a noticable increase in brightness over the stock gen4.

Doug S has given this Stage 2 Mod a Hi/Low tail-switch so it also has a low mode -
Low -
Stg2Lo_Stk.jpg
Stg2Lo_Stk2U.jpg

the low mode is noticably lower than the stock gen4.

I have found the low suitable for closer work, and the high/brighter mode more useful for more distant usage like walking.

I, like many, started with a bias/prejudice against Spot beams -
however when I reviewed a gen3 Spot - I found that the lighting was very even in the spot - so that I felt the view seemed higher definition - ie: simply I could see clearer in the spot over almost any other flashlight that used a reflector.

The problem with the gen3 was that it was OK for closer work - but just a bit too dim for more distant usage like simply walking - obviously still doable but not too ideal.

Gen4 came along and I noticed a significant imcrease in brightness and felt it was now "worthy" as a tryout as an EDC - it had just enough brightness for walking... kind of still OK for cloer work although I feel it is a bit too bright.

Doug S's stage 2 mod with Hi/Low switch solves this dilema for me - on Low it is more suitable for cloe work and the noticable increase in brightness makes it even better for walking - even outdoors.

Before people poo-pooh this - the Spot on the Dorcy 1AAA is not that small - held at about typical hip height (~33") and pointed to about 4 feet in front - the spot's diameter is 2 feet wide, and longitudenally its diameter is closer to 3feet - more than enough to see safely for walking......

So I am really liking this Stage 2 Mod Dorcy 1AAA gen4.....

Here's a really telling comparison -
High vs. Inova X1 Spot - White
Stg2_Inova.jpg
Stg2_Inova2U.jpg

see that? The spot of the Dorcy 1AAA stage 2 mod - even though it is substantially bigger is about the same brightness as the Inova X1's very concentrated spot (and I am pretty sure I have one of the later X1 spots with the Nichia CS LED)

How about 1/2watts?

High vs. Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H)
Stg2_Nuwai.jpg
Stg2_Nuwai2U.jpg

not bad at all - the Nuwai has a very intense hotspot - the stage 2 is not as bright there - but it is keeping up quite well and can show a lot more detail in its beam (Nuwai also has its characteristic blue tint)

High vs. 1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart LED-050AAA
Stg2_AdvM.jpg
Stg2_AdvM2U.jpg

this really shows how well the Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod is doing. The Stage 2 is giving out a lot of light - in a very usable sized spot....

High vs. Fenix L0P-SE Special (UWAJ mod) on Medium
Stg2_L0P.jpg
Stg2_L0P2U.jpg

the Fenix L0P-SE Special (UWAJ mod) is a gem of a flashlight - that gives a wonderful beam - although these are very different beam characteristics - one can see that the Stage 2 Dorcy seems about the same brightness as the L0P-SE on medium which is about 10-12 lumens - the L0P-SE beam may be more usable for things like walking - but the Dorcy's Spot is actually better for looking at detail eg: closer up and anything within the spot's range.

Now take into account when I ran the Dorcy Stage 2 it did 6 hours at pretty much the same high brightness - and somewhere between 6 to 10.6 hours it dropped into moon/dim mode - which lasted to over 40 hours when I prematurely stopped my test (please see Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Mods for details) - I think this is a truly remarkable performance from a single alkaline AAA.

How about some typical 5mm LED 1AAA lights? -
High vs. classic ArcAAA (circa 2003)
Stg2_Arc.jpg
Stg2_Arc2U.jpg

Dorcy Stage 2 is brighter and much more usable area of even light.

High vs. Fenix E0 "Dart"
Stg2_E0.jpg
Stg2_E0U2.jpg

the Fenix E0 "Dart" is a great little light that is bright enough - but with very long runtimes (~11hours to 50% and 20+hours total) -
the Dorcy Stage 2 is brighter - lasts at least 6+ hours (but less than 10.6 hours) on high brightness - but will go on in moon/dim mode for at least 40 hours. The Stage 2 also has a Low mode which will allow the light to run longer before dropping into Moon/dim mode......

Low vs. Fenix E0 "Dart"
Stg2Lo_E0.jpg
Stg2Lo_E0U2.jpg

Not quite as bright on Low - BUT the spot is about the same size as the hotspot of the E0 - and the light in the Dorcy Spot is a lot more even - better to see details by. I would hazard a guess - the runtime of this stage 2 Dorcy on Low will easily be longer than the Fenix E0.......

I think this Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod by Doug S is truly remarkable.

I like it enough to make it my EDC, and so far it has suited me fine.

Doug S's thread on the circuits for the modifications -

Dorcy 1AAA Gen 3/4 circuit data

I am very grateful to Doug S for this Stage 2 Dorcy 1AAA gen4 mod - it is close to my ideal EDC light.

A BIG thank you.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 4 used AAA alkaline batteries from the 40 hours endurance test -

Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Mods

Just for grins I wondered how such a battery would fair in the Stage 2 mod on Low.

I wanted to use the most depleted one - I measured the open-circuit voltages and picked the lowest - at 1.187V - (that battery had "rested" for nearly 6 days since the end of that 40 hours test)

Ran this battery in the Stage 2 mod on Low.....

for an additional 8 hours -

Low vs. Stock gen4 (on fresh battery)
Stg2Lo_Stk8hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_Stk8hrs2U.jpg

after an additonal 8 hours on Low - the level is comparable to the Stage 2 on High at the end of the test @ 40 hours.....

Surprisingly the stage 2 on this nearly depleted battery after these additional 8 hours on Low - could actually still manage a brighter High level -

High vs. Stock gen4 (on fresh battery)
Stg2_Stk8hrs.jpg
Stg2_Stk8hrs2U.jpg

remarkable......

vs. eternaLight Ergo 3 Red/White on Lowest 1x white LED
Stg2Lo_eterna8hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_eterna8hrs2U.jpg

Again after the additional 8 hours on Low - the low of this Stage 2 looks comparable to the High at the end of the 40 hours test......

The open circuit voltage of the battery after these additional 8 hours on Low measured 1.034V.

Last edited:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vincent regarding your most recent testing, for clarity, is the stock comparison light using a fresh cell and only turned on briefly to do the comparison shots, or a previously depleted cell and only turned on briefly for the comparison shots?

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S wrote: "Vincent regarded your most recent testing, for clarity, is the stock comparison light using a fresh cell and only turned on briefly to do the comparison shots, or a previously depleted cell and only turned on briefly for the comparison shots?"

Doug,

Thanks for asking -

The Stock gen4 has a good/fresh battery in -
this is what I try to use as a reference control comparison.
(I'll edit my post to make that clear)

As of this moment the Stage 2 mod on Low is still running on that same depleted battery (continuously) from the last set of beamshots - that's now about an additional 19 hours......
I'll take another set of beamshots at 20 hours......

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is now 20 hours on that depleted cell (from the 40 hours test) with the Stage 2 mod on Low -

The light now is definitely dimmer than before (gimme a break, what did anyone expect!) but it is still giving out some light - actually albeit dim it is still usable....

Low vs. Stock gen4 on fresh battery
Stg2Lo_Stk20hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_Stk20hrs2U.jpg

Surprisingly the there is still a discernable High mode....

High vs. Stock gen4 on fresh battery
Stg2_Stk20hrs.jpg
Stg2_Stk20hrs2U.jpg

There is now substantial difference compared to the Stock gen4 on fresh battery - that's why I've also used the eternaLight Ergo 3 Red/White on Lowest 1x white LED as a comparison -

Low vs. eternaLight Ergo 3 Red/White on Lowest 1x white LED
Stg2Lo_eterna20hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_eterna20hrs2U.jpg

No, of course we're not talking of world beating brightness by any stretch of the imagination.......

BUT this is a battery that has been used in one of the Dorcy 1AAA's for 40 hours - now it has been used in this stage 2 on Low for an additional 20 hours!!!

I really do think this is remarkable.

Right after these beamshots - I took the light, still on, over to my meter - and only when I had everthing ready - took out the battery to measure the open-circuit voltage (so there was minimal delay from being used to measured)

0.920V open-circuit
current draw at tail (this would be the High mode) = 0.01A.....

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
24 Hours on the near depleted AAA alkaline (that had previously been used in the 40 hours test) with the Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod on LOW -

Low vs. Stock gen4 on fresh battery -
Stg2Lo_Stk24hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_Stk24hrs2U.jpg

Dim - but may be not that different from the level at 20 hours?

There is still a just discernable increase in brightness when the High is used -

Stg2_Stk24hrs.jpg
Stg2_Stk24hrs2U.jpg

Stg2Lo_eterna24hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_eterna24hrs2U.jpg

about the same level - which means it's dim but still usable.......

Same procedure for the battery open-circuit voltage reading -
0.920V o-c
current draw at tail on High = 0.01A (on 10A scale)
or 10.2 to 8.7mA on 200mA scale

Last edited:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
24 Hours on the near depleted AAA alkaline (that had previously been used in the 40 hours test) with the Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod on LOW -

Uncle! Aren't you glad you didn't try doing a runtime on Low starting with a New cell! :D
Thanks for all the effort you have put into this! :goodjob:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really didn't fully appreciate this comparison below until I looked at your linked Fenix L0P-SE (UWAJ mod) Special Review. If I read it right the Fenix on medium is drawing 0.28A vs IIRC 0.13A for the Dorcy. Those sure are some good 5mm LEDs that Dorcy is currently using in this inexpensive light.
For comparison, the Fenix LOP-SE runtime on medium as measured by CPF member Chevrofreak can be seen here, leftmost curve is the alkaline one:
http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix L0P-SE/Fenix L0P-SE - medium.png

UnknownVT said:
High vs. Fenix L0P-SE Special (UWAJ mod) on Medium
Stg2_L0P.jpg
Stg2_L0P2U.jpg

the Fenix L0P-SE Special (UWAJ mod) is a gem of a flashlight

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S wrote: "I really didn't fully appreciate this comparison below until I looked at your linked Fenix L0P-SE (UWAJ mod) Special Review. If I read it right the Fenix on medium is drawing 0.28A vs IIRC 0.13A for the Dorcy. Those sure are some good 5mm LEDs that Dorcy is currently using in this inexpensive light."

Thank you for highlighting this aspect.....

There is some method to my madness/obsession -
even if it is "accidental" in this case.......
icon11.gif

Like they say between the 2 of us -
we make a good -

whole wit.......
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S wrote: "24 Hours on the near depleted AAA alkaline (that had previously been used in the 40 hours test) with the Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod on LOW -

Uncle! Aren't you glad you didn't try doing a runtime on Low starting with a New cell!
biggrin.gif
"

Don't give up on me yet.....

after 28 Hours on near depleted AAA alkaline (formerly used in 40 hours timed test) in Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod on LOW -

Low vs. Stock gen4 on fresh battery
Stg2Lo_Stk28hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_Stk28hrs2U.jpg

yes, it's finally almost gone to "nothing" - I can now only barely distingush the spot on my white "target" when the lights are on in the room (~56" away from bare soft white bulb + another 40wtt soft white further away in the room).

well .. maybe not quite -
surprisingly the light is still distinctly brighter on High (just)

Stg2_Stk28hrs.jpg
Stg2_Stk28hrs2U.jpg

well.. not that much brighter when considered to a bright stock gen4 on fresh battery -
but remember the near depleted battery had been in a Dorcy 1AAA (not sure which) on for over 40 hours on "high" (I picked the lowest open-circuit voltage out of the 4 - can we assume it was the weakest?) - and now it has been in the Stage 2 Mod for over another 28 additional hours on Low.......
that's pretty amazing for a single plain AAA alkaline.
(do you want to know what brand of battery?
It is a WalGreen's Super Alkaline I bought on sale @ $1 for 4....)

So how dim is this light after 28 hours on a depleted battery?

Stg2Lo_eterna28hrs.jpg
Stg2Lo_eterna28hrs2U.jpg

OK, there is still some light when compared to a very dim light......
Usable? - in an emergency in a pinch.......

Well I think this is starting to get silly and only demonstartes my retentiveness and obsessiveness -
so I'm going to terminate this running test
(unless someone BEGS....
didn't think so -
I mean if Doug S the modder in this case has already cried :"Uncle!" 4 hours ago.....)

Lastly - Open-circuit voltage reading as quickly as I could manage after removing the battery -
0.87V (momentarily) rising up to 0.92V
current draw at tail (high) 0.01A (on 10A scale)
11.2mA dropping to 6.6mA on 200mA scale.

Yes, I agree that is some great LED in this cheapo light -

BUT more to the point that is a great mod -
giving a marathon performance in runtime, squeezing truly usable light out of the battery.

Me? I had to stop the test because I was going out - and did not want to be without my new EDC - this Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Stage 2 mod by Doug S -

don't think I need to say more.