Dorcy 1watt Luxeon 3x AAA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Clearance item from Target -

Dorcy1wBlstPk.jpg
Dorcy1wPrice.jpg

I was expecting it to be the $17.48 that I had seen before - but looking closer at the price tag - it now said $12.48! - rushing over to the self-scanner confirmed the price..... of course, I ran to the checkout /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Size comparison
Dorcy1wSize.jpg

It's quite a bit bigger than really necessary, compare it to the MXDL 3w which is also 3x AAA.

I like the color - a very deep gray, almost black with brown/bronze overtones.

Dorcy1wOpn.jpg
Dorcy1wEmitrHd.jpg

Closeup of emitter
Dorcy1wEmitrCls.jpg

Heads
Dorcy1wHds.jpg

Comparison beamshots:

Compared to S1801 1watt Luxeon 1x CR123
Dorcy1wS1801.jpg
Dorcy1wS1801_2U.jpg

MXDL 3watt 3x AAA
Dorcy1wMXDL.jpg
Dorcy1wMXDL2U.jpg

In real-life and subjectively this Dorcy 1w looks very bright compared to the two other "luxeons" I have - initially I thought it may have been brighter - I think it's because the beam is a lot more concentrated by the long deep reflector - so the total coverage/side-spill is less than either of the other 2 Lux's so the Dorcy appears brighter.

Compared to my current obsession the MJLED -
Dorcy1wMJLED.jpg
Dorcy1wMJLED2U.jpg

The MJLED does amazingly well - but there is a reason (see later*) - in real life unfortunately it does not compare quite as well, nevertheless it is still a very good performance for the MJLED - even if the comparative beamshot is biassed in favor of the MJLED.

How about a good Xenon light?

Streamlight Scorpion Xenon 2x CR123
Dorcy1wScorpion.jpg
Dorcy1wScorpion2U.jpg

The Dorcy really does hold its own against even a dazzlingly bright light like the Streamlight Scorpion xenon with fresh CR123s..... really impressive.

MiniMag 2AA
Dorcy1wmMag.jpg
Dorcy1wmMag2U.jpg

Here's the SHOCKER -
ArcAAA
Dorcy1wArc.jpg
Dorcy1wArc2U.jpg

This is an absolutely AMAZING comparison beamshot of the ArcAAA vs. the Dorcy 1w (both on fresh batteries).

What's going on?

Do I have some super ArcAAA?

Not at all, it is a standard UNmodified ArcAAA even on a none-too-fresh AAA it does almost as well.

* OK the explanation - notice the two beams are narrow covering nothing like those from the Lux's or the Scorpion - obvious by the invisibility of the center + that I use for focussing. The exposure system has exposed to an "evaulative" "average" - so both the beams are grossly over-exposed. Which means the "brightness" in the photos are hitting the upper limit/ceiling - so the Dorcy 1w's beam can't show much brighter even though it is.

The -2 Stops underexposed comparison beamshot is closer - but even then the ArcAAA's brightness is exaggerated - as the central hotspot of the Dorcy 1w is over exposed so it cannot show any brighter than the camera's dynamic limit.

*Hence the favoring of the MJLED beam even though it is not as bright in real-life.

The_virus

Enlightened
I'd highly recommend the Dorcy 1 watt 3AAA. I'm really impressed with it's beam and brightness. It also feels really nice in the palm, not too fat or long. The switch is kind of cheap feeling, and I wouldn't consider this light waterproof or suited for rough usage, but for a house light this one is great. The Dorcy outshines my Streamlight 3AA TaskLight, and the photos do display it holds its own against more lights than that.

For that clearance price, I'd say you're getting a great deal!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said: Just don't drop it

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes....
mine fails the shock (palm strike to the back-end) test -
as described in:

Dorcy 3AAA 1-Watt Fails The Shock Test

However I don't think the shock does any damage, just turns the light off, it works fine as far as I can tell afterwards - I've done it several times now.

Stuffing some tightly folded paper in the back of the battery holder - does help quite a bit in the shock resistance - I got it so that it takes quite a hard hit before it'll turn off - I estimate it's equivalent to a hard throw to the ground - not a mere drop - unless from a great height......

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, looks like its worth the price!

-DAvid

BamZipPow

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
CR123s or AAs?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Just picked one up here in El Paso fer $17.48. They come with AAAs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, you guys are getting some good prices.

-David

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
I've seen these at the Target store on Tonnelle Avenue in North Bergen, NJ (minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel). I have not been to that store recently so I don't know if they currently have any in stock or if they are clearance priced right now. With all the buzz about clearance sale Dorcy's lately, I will definitely have to make some time to check it out.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: strobing/flashing mode of the Dorcy 1watt 3x AAA.

At first glance I also didn't think much of it - I even appreciated the "joke" that other owners had about using the shock to the tail-end to switch the light off avoiding the strobe mode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However since I've lived with this light for a few days - I've started to accept the strobe mode.

I feel that it is actually useful for getting someone's attention - point at the person and strobe.... definitely an attention getter.

Anyway I've gotten used to double clicking the light to switch it off to avoid the strobe when not needed - actually sounds easy but not such a good thing since when I compare the Dorcy 1 watt with any other light with a click type switch - I'm also double-clicking those light too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've changed from the wad of paper (btween the tail spring and battery holder) to a slice of an artificial cork from a cheaper wine - it's some plastic composite - I guess being for a wine it has some minimal porosity, some elasticity but does not crumble like real cork (and yes I did take a slice away from the end that was in contact with the wine....). With this slice in place it does take a pretty hard slap to turn the light off - dropping from just over 6ft onto carpet does not turn the light off - unless dropped straight on its tail.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I finally spotted the 1w Luxeons in the Sams club near me. They're approximately in the middle of the store, next to the GOLF CLUBS. Huh? No wonder I couldn't find them before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

deww

Newly Enlightened
I found one of these at the Wrentham Village Premium outlet mall in Massachusetts. It was in the Black and Decker store and was ahout $30. Decent unit, but I like the Nuwai QIII I got recently from CountyComm better because of the size. The Dorcy 1Watt seems brighter, probably because of it's focus and I actually like the halo effect it has.