Dorian #20 Holder ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
Not quite as adjustable as Barry's Aloris #20 holder, but Dorian's version is pretty nice as well. This one I got from Ebay for only $40, because it was new-old-stock that had rusted. Well, I am not afraid of getting my hands a little bit dirty for a good deal :devil:

Here are the before pictures:
DSCF3475.JPG

DSCF3476.JPG

DSCF3477.JPG

DSCF3478.JPG

DSCF3479.JPG

And I used this more "gentle" tumbler before trying sandblasting:
DSCF3480.JPG

I needed this to get the bolt free:
DSCF3481.JPG

DSCF3482.JPG

This is the result from the tumbler - it took some of the case color as well as the light rust:
DSCF3490.JPG

DSCF3493.JPG

So I added some color back:
DSCF3494.JPG

And the "after" pictures. Not bad for $40, right?:
DSCF3495.JPG

DSCF3496.JPG

DSCF3497.JPG

Although now it is harder to read the original factory lettering:
DSCF3499.JPG

Now to get a couple of Al-specific inserts to go with it :thumbsup:

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks Pablo :D

Today I got the first inserts to try in my new holder: Kennametal TNMS 331 (KC910) for $3.99 each from Ebay. Look at the positive edge - I will report later how well (or not!) it does :twothumbs:

DSCF3560.JPG

DSCF3561.JPG

DSCF3562.JPG

Will

precisionworks

Flashaholic
DSCF3476.JPG

I have two CXA-1 holders that have the identical etch marking "Dorian Tool". Dorian stopped etching many years ago & went to stamping the information (as Aloris always has). Best guess is that the etched holders are over 20 years old, maybe more. Doesn't much matter about the age, as you photos clearly show :thumbsup:

The biggest mechanical difference between the Aloris #20 & the Dorian #20 is that the Aloris uses a separate "cartridge cradle" with adjustable rake for right or left hand turning. The cradle can be tipped left or right for a 5° cutting angle, or it can be set in the middle (neutral or 0°).

aloris20.jpg

In practical terms, there probably isn't much advantage of one design over the other. I do notice that if the cradle is tipped to either side, the center height changes as the insert tip is rotated, meaning that center height has to be reset frequently. The Dorian design should not have this issue, as the cartridge is always set to 0° cutting angle.

My #20 gets used frequently. I'll bet you'll soon find it to be one of your favorites.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Very nice Will! TA also makes these in Ti, they seem to be popluar? But I really like the way yours looks. :thumbsup:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thanks Will :eek:

Who is TA? Tom Anderson? I have seen the one he makes - totally awesome work!

Yes Tom. He has been through some very rough events recently. I haven't talked to him in a while, I hope he's ok.

I love Tom's work but I like your brush better. Ssshhh, don't tell him I said that though!