Dorian SQCTP

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Img_5124.jpg

How much does one of these TP65A QCTP cost these days? I'm traveling to USA next month and if the price is right I could buy one

Pablo

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
How much does one of these TP65A QCTP cost these days? I'm traveling to USA next month and if the price is right I could buy one

Pablo

Pablo, DTM is no longer in business. There's a guy on ebay who purchased all of their remaining stock, Mike of Precision Spin, & is who I got mine from.

Looks like he still has 3 left (he had 8 left when I bought mine). Once they're gone they're gone. http://cgi.ebay.com/DTM-TP65A-Quick...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2f188f8

I paid & sold mine for $225, if you contact him he might give it to you for that same price but at that time he had a best offer option.

I never got to use mine since I ended up getting a bigger lathe & tool post but it's a very nice tool post & if you search on the net others also say the same.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
googling around I found a post of yours at PM comparing it's size to a chinese clone, how was the quality of the clones, or their main defect in your personal opinion?

There is a 3:1 difference in price I want to know if its the same quality wise.

Thanks!

Pablo

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
googling around I found a post of yours at PM comparing it's size to a chinese clone, how was the quality of the clones, or their main defect in your personal opinion?

There is a 3:1 difference in price I want to know if its the same quality wise.

Thanks!

Pablo

I'm afraid I can't comment much as I don't have much experience with QCTPs as others here. I assume you're thinking of this photo:

IMG_5422.jpg

That's my very first QCTP which is an AXA size clone from Lathemaster. The most noticeable difference over others is that the wedges are sloppy compared the name brand ones. The DTM wedges are very solid. I was told the founders of DTM were former employees at Aloris & improved on Aloris' design. The DTM has guides for the wedges, perhaps this might be part of the "improved design" & makes the DTM so much more solid?

IMG_5429.jpg

I also had a BXA wedge style clone which was also very sloppy compared to the Dorian. The only other tool posts I've used are piston style (Armstrong & Aloris) in shop class. I don't like how the lock up feels but I'm not sure if that's just the way pistons feel or because they've had years of abuse from students.

I would say the DTM is well worth the money & one would probably get many many years of repeatable use out of it as any other good quality tool post. Was it worth the money for me? Probably not. I know I would have been just as well off with the clone tool post & I never had an issue with it. But even knowing this I would have bought (& did) the nicer tool post anyway. :D

olephart

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a Phase II AXA wedge type for 20 years. It still locks up as tight as anything else. The threads on the closing lever were loose (shocking) and I hated the shape and feel of the lever, so I made one.

Other than pride of ownership issues, I don't see much practical difference. I spent the savings upgrading stuff that really mattered. If I had a lot of cash to blow or was making a living at this, I might think otherwise.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
how was the quality of the clones, or their main defect
If you can tolerate unhardened or poorly hardened parts, sloppy fit, and tool point heights that don't repeat - buy China :nana:

The difference is like comparing a cheap hamburger to excellent ribs or steak - both do the job, but the experience is totally different.

I bought the Dorian AXA Super Quick Change for the South Bend & used it for a short time before buying the bigger lathe. Here's the one I have:

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Dorian-Quick-Change-Tool-Post-SET-AXA-Up-12-NEW-/260558762130?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item3caa833092

I'd like $500 for the set (delivered anywhere in the USA), which is $180 less than it sells for today.

unterhausen

Enlightened
I would love to have a Dorian or Aloris, but my Phase II is hardly the weak point of my lathe. I don't think I have ever had to do anything to compensate for its weaknesses. It's on my list of things to replace someday, I figure I'll get most of my money out of it. The Chinese toolholders I have bought are not quite up to the Phase II standards, but they also are not bad enough to cause problems with machining. So I guess I would hold out at least until Enco has a sale on the Phase II and not settle for one of the un-branded Chinese tool posts

wquiles

Flashaholic
I would love to have a Dorian or Aloris, but my Phase II is hardly the weak point of my lathe. I don't think I have ever had to do anything to compensate for its weaknesses. It's on my list of things to replace someday, I figure I'll get most of my money out of it. The Chinese toolholders I have bought are not quite up to the Phase II standards, but they also are not bad enough to cause problems with machining. So I guess I would hold out at least until Enco has a sale on the Phase II and not settle for one of the un-branded Chinese tool posts

My BXA Phase II did work OK, but it did not have the feel nor the solid lockup than my restored BXA DTM has - it is like a bank vault, but also very smooth.

plasmaman

Enlightened
I'm afraid I can't comment much as I don't have much experience with QCTPs as others here. I assume you're thinking of this photo:

I would say the DTM is well worth the money & one would probably get many many years of repeatable use out of it as any other good quality tool post. Was it worth the money for me? Probably not. I know I would have been just as well off with the clone tool post & I never had an issue with it. But even knowing this I would have bought (& did) the nicer tool post anyway. :D

Will
Can you say whether the standard clone toolholders (250 series) fit the DTM AXA toolpost?
I am thinking about changing my clone toolpost (code 250-200), but have quite a few holders (16mm tools) - will they fit the DTM?
If not I might be tempted by Barry's Dorian AXA set!
John

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Will
Can you say whether the standard clone toolholders (250 series) fit the DTM AXA toolpost?
I am thinking about changing my clone toolpost (code 250-200), but have quite a few holders (16mm tools) - will they fit the DTM?
If not I might be tempted by Barry's Dorian AXA set!
John

The clone AXA holders should fit any AXA (100 series) size tool post. However you mentioned 250-200 & 16mm holders. 250-200 is BXA (200 series) size tool post. AXA/100 are for 12mm tools.

Good luck finding a DTM TP75A (BXA/200 series), they're impossible to find. Will (wquiles) put in some hard work to get himself a working TP75A.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yup, I could never find a new one by itself (although I though MSC showed they had one starter kit for $600-800), let alone a good working one, but found a partially broken example on Ebay which I then restored.

plasmaman

Enlightened
The clone AXA holders should fit any AXA (100 series) size tool post. However you mentioned 250-200 & 16mm holders. 250-200 is BXA (200 series) size tool post. AXA/100 are for 12mm tools.

Good luck finding a DTM TP75A (BXA/200 series), they're impossible to find. Will (wquiles) put in some hard work to get himself a working TP75A.

Aha!
Thanks guys - I'm not that familiar with the AXA, BXA etc codes over here - so it looks like my clone 250 series holders need a BXA series toolpost.......
back to the wishing well....

olephart

Newly Enlightened
Here's a quick measurement of a Chinese AXA. Probably no 2 alike.

A = 1.645"

B = 1.373"

C = .388"

plasmaman

Enlightened
Aha!
Thanks guys - I'm not that familiar with the AXA, BXA etc codes over here - so it looks like my clone 250 series holders need a BXA series toolpost.......
back to the wishing well....

Just reporting back after your helpful comments guys. You were right of course and the 200 series clones are equivalent to BXA size.
Here in UK the Dorian new new new SDN30BXA (triple wedge) appears unavailable, and shipping a heavy lump from Rocky at Ajax was way tooo pricey (around $800 for the FTB kit) so I found the last 'old' new (ie red) SDN30BXA at MSC (£180 plus tax) with free shipping.
Machined up the T nut and its sweet.

But the big news is I decided to stick with my clone toolholders (I have 10 and need a few more). My biggest beef with these is the totally crappy set screws they use. The allen/hex socket is awful, sometimes undersized, soft,not centred, etc etc - a complete lottery if you want to change a tool sometimes.
Go to the bay and look for seller 'bardpaper' - he (Don in Charles City VA) - has heaps of German made M10 20mm dog point set screws in S/S for 10 bucks for a box of 100 screws!!
Throw away all those chinese horrors and rebuild all your clone toolholders with these for cents. They have a nice, deep true 5mm socket and I torqued them up to 18nm.
Now just waiting on my McMaster threaded collars so I can throw away the collar nuts, and I reckon these modified toolposts are as good as......when mounted on a superb Dorian BXA post.
John

precisionworks

Flashaholic
M10 20mm dog point set screws
Asian tool blocks (everything from China) uses ISO fasteners, but Dorian & Aloris use ANSI screws. One will sometimes force fit into the other but that rarely works well.

just waiting on my McMaster threaded collars so I can throw away the collar nuts
+1

All my Aloris & Dorian blocks have the threaded collar instead of the hex nut. They are much easier to use & never move by accident.

Latest posts