Dorian SQCTP

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The brown truck left this today ... the toolpost came with a blank T-nut so that was the first item to machine:

d1.jpg

I crept up on the size & ended up with a light tap in fit. The T-nut is threaded in the middle & includes a pair of reamed dowel holes.

The new square shoulder end mill was used to take off excess material. 1000 rpm, .250 DOC, pretty fast hand cranked feed.

d2.jpg

The bottom of the SQCTP has matching dowel pin holes if someone needs those.

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

Internal threading tool & insert
d5.jpg

60 degree stand up insert
d6.jpg

Overall view of double ended holder
d7.jpg

The two square shank holders
d8.jpg

Blade style cut off-parting tool (gtn2)
d9.jpg

And a boring bar & right hand tool holder
d10.jpg

The nicest tool post I've ever seen + four blocks + five indexable tools :twothumbs

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've always wondered, with most QCTPs that I've seen, with the TP oriented in the common position, what is the threaded hole for on the right face of it? Both the two AXAs I currently have have them. And in your case, the two threaded holes facing towards you?

niner

Enlightened
Barry, very very nice. Where did you get them and how much?

How is it compare to Aloris's wedge post?

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I like the way the wedges are designed.
Pretty cool, isn't it. The Triple Wedge Lock is a patented design, meaning that no other USA manufacturers can copy it until 2017. They state: Triple Action Locking System- a powerful combination of a downward, outward and inward force simultaneously locking the quick change toolholder rigidly and precisely.

Dorian first used it in the coolant through Victory tool post, see page 5 in this newsletter (which is just under 4 MB) http://www.doriantool.com/doriantool/inc/articles/pdf/Tool_Zone_22.pdf

the two threaded holes facing towards you?

d12.jpg

The set screws are part #10, which retain the guide pins (part #8). These are unique to the New SQCTP.

Where did you get them and how much?
From an eBay seller called Ajax Industries. If you phone & talk with Rocky, ask for the same deal I got - $590 for the set & free shipping. 1-800-543-5998

How is it compare to Aloris's wedge post?
I've used larger models of the Old SQCTP and the Aloris. Both do a decent job, but neither have the triple wedge lock. My brief testing shows that the tool point repeats within +/- .0001". If anyone has a tool post that does better, I'd like to see it :D

niner

Enlightened
Thanks Barry! I'll call up and get a set.

Brian, are you getting one? May be we can set up a group buy:grin2:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
lots of value there for what you paid
Exactly my thoughts. If you price only the tool post plus four holders it's around $450, so $190 bought quite a few indexable tools. The threading holder block is neat as the internal bar or the external 60 degree holder can be mounted on either end. And the parting blade holder is the best design I've ever run across.

I need one of those!
Even though it's way more than I planned to spend (hoping to find one used on eBay) I'm really satisfied. There was not a single flaw in the machined finish on the tool post, holders, and all of the tooling.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
you people sure do know how to spend a guy's money

:D:D:D

Here's the worst part of the story ... I paid $90 less for my lathe than for the tool post. On a positive note, no one on this forum is (yet) using PCD tipped inserts.

DeBeers used to say that an engagement ring should cost one month's salary. I would imagine that quite a few of us spend that much on tooling every year, which makes the diamond ring quite a lot cheaper.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I talked to Vic today. :devil:
He's a nice guy. Tries way too hard to give high quality & low price :thumbsup:

If anyone wants to compare, here are the patent apps from different makers of QCTPs

WARNING - these are sometimes prescribed as a sleep aid :nana::

Aloris
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6230595.pdf

Early Dorian wedge (1993)
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5214989.pdf

Later Dorian (2003)
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6571671.pdf

Dorian coolant through (Victory series)
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7273331.pdf

Could not find the patent info on the SQCTP aka Wedge Lock.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I want to, but I recently got a "nice" Dorian knurling tool, so I am spent out for now :broke:

Ah I see. I just assumed you had purchased one since the link you posted was ended.

That knurling tool is one of the best I hear, can't pass up a deal like that, all else can wait! Can't wait to see what you do with it. :twothumbs

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Well, with Barry's post I couldn't resist. Since I'm getting the bigger lathe now & the DTM 75/BXA can't be found at a reasonable price, I went down to Travers today & ordered one of these in the BXA size. Had a $50 coupon so I might as well put it to good use (BTW MSC won't apply their discounts to the DTM & Dorian TPs). Picked it up for $311 plus tax. :grin2:

Just wish it wasn't orange & yellow! :crackup:This means I will have to sell my new DTM 65/AXA that I just got. :ohgeez: Too bad cause I was really looking foward to using it.

Thanks Barry (I think)! :twothumbs

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Isn't it funny how "we" are spending money on tools, but we always seem to find Barry at fault :naughty:

What's funnier is that this is a flashlight forum & I'm not spending any money on flashlights! :crackup: