Double Barrel 18, er... 24 ;)

Spidey82,

Here's a pic of the Radio Shack perf-boards I use. I would imagine you could get something similar locally.

VB21191.jpg

Full size pic

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got the 10mm Toshiba LED's in a couple of days ago and I totally agree with Chris and Craig's assessment. They are total crap for use in a flashlight application. I'm not sure what these things were designed for, but it was definitely not flashlights. They put out a beam of light that is like a square laser beam with almost no side light what so ever. The only way that these LEDs will be good for anything is if they were used with a lens of some sort. I wish I had a Brinkman to test it with the lens on it, but I don't so I believe these 2 LEDs will be going back to Hosfelt for a full refund.

Xcal, you looking for a "cheaper than white" option, or you just want something different than white?

Just wondering, cause the white ones are only $1.75 ea.
wink.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget: Well, actually, I wanted something to work at the 1-2.5 volt range and something that is as bright as possible at that voltage level. At the time that I ordered them, I was looking for something to work with the 2.5volt super cap so that I wouldn't have to waste energy on a step-up, but now I'm convinced that the constant output of a regulated step-up would be the best way to go. Then I would have no problems using Nichia Whites also.

Robl

Newly Enlightened
I did leave the reflector in my 4AA double barrel conversion. I rocked it back and forth listening for the cracking noises and managed to get it out without breaking anything. I then just drilled the center out a few sizes larger to accomodate my LED array.

I used a sort of dead-bug/open air concept when soldering the 10 LED's together. I used my daughters Light Bright grid to lay out the pattern and solder them together. I then used two pieces of heavier guage wire as the leads that plug right in where the original bulb was. The LED array sits right in the middle of the reflector about 1/4" from the front bezel. I get quite a bit of light from the back and sides of the LED's bouncing off the reflector.

I used it camping this weekend and was very impressed with the brightness. Shining this thing into someones eyes at night would be considered quite rude!!!
shocked.gif

Robl

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
gadget,
do u use wire wrap or sholdering for the board
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soldering. I never could get wirewrapping to be durable.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robl:
.....I then just drilled the center out a few sizes larger to accomodate my LED array.

I used a sort of dead-bug/open air concept when soldering the 10 LED's together. I used my daughters Light Bright grid to lay out the pattern and solder them together. I then used two pieces of heavier guage wire as the leads that plug right in where the original bulb was. The LED array sits right in the middle of the reflector about 1/4" from the front bezel. I get quite a bit of light from the back and sides of the LED's bouncing off the reflector.......Robl
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Lite-Brite "fixture" is inspired!
wink.gif

How big did the array end up being? Or, what size hole did you put in the reflector?

Sounds good!
smile.gif

Robl

Newly Enlightened
I just made the hole big enough so the two main leads would not touch the sides of the reflector. I think I used a 1/2" drill bit.

The Light Bright grid is perfect for 7 LED arrays as you get one in the middle with 6 in a perfect circle around it. With 10 LED's you get more of a rectangle shape. 14 would get back to a more rounded shape - that will be next, but I keep running out of white LED's!
tongue.gif

I purchased a Garrity 3 D cell light last night but could not get the reflector out. It looks like it will have to be broken so I am taking it back and my search will continue for a good 3 D light to convert. I am tired of the Mag lights so am looking for an alternative. The Garrity has a nice faceted reflector and is made of stainless steel with a very nice switch - it looked promising in the store!

Robl

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
GoGoGadget, I am drooling over the eBay DB conversions like you were, and I'm thinking of building one too because I can't wait for the Trek 4000/6000 any longer and they are going to be pretty expensive, anyway. My ideas for building a DB are (the 6-cell DBs are real plentiful at Walmarts) is use green Nichia's for their high candlepowers, and maybe try and max out the quantity on the number too (bigger=better when it comes to leds lights I think). Have you tried those green Nichia's, and if so would you use the 45 or the 15-degree beam types? Next, would it be possible to get 30 or more (seriously!) of them in the end? Also, what is that Maglite we're looking at in the picture album, a 2d-cell or a 2c-cell? Thanks-nice light and construction.

Lightuser,

I wish my Walmart had any.
frown.gif
All they have is the 4 cell versions.

Haven't tried any green LEDs, but I'd go for the 15 degree ones unless they have a funny beam shape. The LEDMuseum may have beam shots...

I haven't checked yet, but I think you may be able to squeeze 8 more in there using the same staggered pattern.

The Maglite in comparison is a 2D cell with fresh E2 batteries.

Thanks! Good luck with your projects!
smile.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go, Go Gadget Flashlight:
....I wish my Walmart had any.
frown.gif
All they have is the 4 cell versions....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, mine only has 4AAAs in stock --I might get a 4AA if they had one. Might be good with an amber LS in it.

Six cells would be better.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go, Go Gadget Flashlight:

Haven't tried any green LEDs, but I'd go for the 15 degree ones unless they have a funny beam shape. The LEDMuseum may have beam shots...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<center>
don1.jpg

Nichia NSPG520 (45° viewing angle)

25377.jpg

Nichia NSPG500BS (15° viewing angle)
</center>