Double Bummer

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I gave my daughter a SS Fenix LD01 for Christmas '08 which worked wonderfully until over the last several months, then became somewhat finicky. Sometimes working, sometimes not. Finally it just gave up the ghost and quit. I've tried all the tricks that I know, change batteries, deoxit, clean the contacts, shake it, thumb it...etc. I have not removed the pill. I do not see any obvious defects or cracks. (This is the first bummer).

Then, in order for her to have a flashlight to use, I gave her my SS Maratac AAA (hand polished) which she clipped to her keychain. I warned her that the ring attachment was somewhat feeble, so be careful (which she typically is)...but in <24 hrs. it was GONE. (second bummer).

So first a statement, then a question.
1. Don't trust the ring attatchement on the Maratac. I never got around to getting a split ring attachent (now repeatedly kicking myself in the backside).

2. Any suggestions about how to fix the LD01?
For the life of me, I can't remember where I originally bought it. I thought it was 4 Sevens, but I don't see it listed on my account.

timberwolf

Newly Enlightened
The time it took to fail and the degradation over time sounds like a contact issue, but as you said you tried cleaning them...hmm no good idea from me.

I thought it was 4 Sevens, but I don't see it listed on my account.
Look for "Fenix Store".

maskman

Newly Enlightened

I did read that you cleaned the LD01 contacts with Deoxit. Cleaning can be taken a few steps further if you haven't already tried this. I would clean the head's positive contact with a rubber eraser. Then pull the battery spring out and clean the bottom of the spring with the eraser. A dental pick works great for removing the spring. Next spin the eraser inside the battery tube at the base where the spring sits. I suggest a new pencil eraser to insure contact with the inner circumference so you will clean the area the spring contacts. Finally, tip the tube upside down and spray Deoxit inside to remove any remaining residue or eraser shavings. Replace the spring being sure it seats perpendicular to the tube walls and retest. If this helps great, if not at least you know you have cleaned the contacts as thoroughly as possible and eliminated that possibility.

I don't hold a lot of hope for this procedure to help leonardC9's issue, but I guess there is only one way to know for sure.

Sorry to hear about the Maratac. :(

Last edited:

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Leonardc9:
Thanks for the link. I thought I had seen a thread on the LD01, but I couldn't find it.
Maskman:
Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I had actually cleaned it as you described, but went back and did it again...still to no avail. I suspect there must be a microcrack in the board or something.

If I can remember where I bought it, I'll contact them and see if I can workout a repair or replacement. The original has some sentimental value to my daugter, and I had it engraved with her name. So I would like to get the original working if possible.
Again, Thanks.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you turn it on, and it doesn't light up, does the head get warm? Do you have a non-SS LD01/L0D/L0P/E1/E0 you can try the SS head on?

My SS LD01 died pretty quickly, and it was clearly caused by something shorting against the inside of the head. The problem was initially intermittent, but quickly became constant. The SS head will still work on non-SS bodies, because the anodizing prevents the circuit being completed through the threads.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
If you turn it on, and it doesn't light up, does the head get warm? Do you have a non-SS LD01/L0D/L0P/E1/E0 you can try the SS head on?

No it doesn't get warm. And I do not have one of the other fenix lights to test the SS head on.

My SS LD01 died pretty quickly, and it was clearly caused by something shorting against the inside of the head. The problem was initially intermittent, but quickly became constant. The SS head will still work on non-SS bodies, because the anodizing prevents the circuit being completed through the threads.

I don't have another Fenix (non SS) body to try, SO:
I tried placing the battery in the head with the + terminal on the central contact and a wire patch from the (-)battery terminal to the peripheral contact in the head, but got no response.

I guess the board or LED must me broken or shorted.