Drilling a V 10r titanium head.. at home

AutoTech

Enlightened
I have a few questions for the engineers.

I have a V10R in titanium which I'm looking to drill the finned part of the head for tritium installation. I have the part marked out and punched with 8 sites for drilling through the fins.

Firstly, am I crazy to attempt the job without a precision drill press? I will be using a good cordless drill, but upon thinking what might happen I'm concerned as the drill bit breaks through the first part of the head and into the gap the body of the head will force the drill bit off centre through easiest path. Is this unavoidable by hand?

Also, IF it's do-able what's the best bit for the job? I've had a google but some say cobalt, some say titanium. Looking for info from people who've done this job.

And finally, I'm installing 1.5mmx6mm trits. What size drill bit to use? I'm assuming the 1.5mm is too small for a 1.5mm vial.

Thanks guys

Norm

Retired Administrator
I certainly wouldn't be trying this with any sort of hand held drill, there's very little margin for error.

Norm

AutoTech

Enlightened
Could be bad news couldn't it. My only real concern is keeping the bit straight when it wants to break away from the side. But a 1.5mm drill bit is going to want to flex away even in a pillar drill.

Norm, as you're about..Do you know why this part of the forum isn't available on my iPad, yet it's there on an iphone? Very odd but the layout is slightly different for my mobile (using desktop site still) and yet 'Flashlight related materials' section doesn't exist on an iPad.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I wouldn't even try it with a drill press.

As for forum view, not sure what your problem may be but if you weren't aware this section is not viewable publicly, you must be logged in.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Ah well, I'd have given it a go if it'd been alluminium. I did start drilling to see what the material felt like, it's pretty tough going.

I've ordered the tritium so I'm going to take it to a local engineering company.

I had no idea about viewing the forum section, missed that one haha

Thanks

Norm

Retired Administrator
Norm, as you're about..Do you know why this part of the forum isn't available on my iPad, yet it's there on an iphone? Very odd but the layout is slightly different for my mobile (using desktop site still) and yet 'Flashlight related materials' section doesn't exist on an iPad.
I'm using an iPad to post, so no problems with the page.

Norm

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barry - I know you don't do the trit slots any longer, but you've also done some amazing V10R light work in your time as well. I had a stonewashed V10R custom of yours for a while that was really amazing.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Thank you for your kind words. Very early on I'd planned to drill the cooling fins but it quickly became clear that I would need hundreds of dollars in tooling to accomplish this. Steve Ku offered drilled cooling fins quite a long time and I would look at buying one of these.

I bore Ti lights on a 3000# lathe & shape them on a 1500# milling machine. Machinery smaller than that has real issues working with titanium.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Well I decided to give it a go, I think it's because people say it can't be done and I just thought what the hell I'll buy another part if I ruin it.

My main concern was the drill bit making a move out wards when it broke through the first part. Well that wasn't actually a problem, the drill bit actually stayed perfectly on coarse, well on coarse for in and out... Yep I spent so much time concentrating on not letting it move out I ended up with it at a slight angle side ways.

I really see see no reason why you couldn't do this on a decent drill press though.

Yep it's not easy to drill, I used plenty of duck oil and found a chipping motion the best, holding it hard against the material and trying varying speeds wasn't good. I found a quick press of the drill switch and at the same time applying quick pressure on/off at the same time worked best.

If I had a drill press I'd be able to keep it at 90'

Biggest problem is going to be finding a grease to get back 'that' feel the control ring had.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Thanks ref the grease, I'll have a look.

Wasn't being funny with the scoff away comment, I'm not happy with it hence the permission for a few "told you so" comments.

I'd be pretty confident getting it right with a drill press though. I wouldn't say it's not do-able without serious kit though. I do however see that buying a press to do this job isn't viable when I could have taken it to an engineering company.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok - I didn't want to be directly insulting. It looks rough, but better than I expected. At least it's pretty straight, but it also look like it's a bit big too. Better than I could have done.

I think there is value in having a machine shop do the work.

AutoTech

Enlightened
No problem, I can take constructive criticism.

Regarding it looking rough, I'm not sure how I'm going to clean up the burr really. What it needs is a very slim diamond file maybe, just to take it off. Size seems good, 1.5mm and inserting a 1.5mm drill in reverse to check fit, it slides in nicely. Phone camera and the burr appears black in that picture.