Driving 2 luxeons from li-ion, need circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
I was originally intending to drive 4 luxeons from 7.2 v (2 li-ion cells) but realized that 2 would be less bulky and provide ample light output for close quarters work. I am currently driving them using a 7 ohm dropping resistor giving me about 250 ma of current. I will probably switch to a 5 ohms or so, but my calculations state that I'll lose about 0.6 watt in the new resistor which means only ~75% efficiency. Is there any chip out there using only a few components that is an efficient step-down voltage converter? I looked through Maxim's line and none of them seem to stand out.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than switchers, take a look at the LM134 constant current source. By using it to sink a PNP transistor's base current, you can get very good regulation, with out generating hardly any heat.

bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
How do you figure? Whether you're using a resistor or a constant current source, you're still dissipating the rest of the power as heat...

The only advantage of a linear constant current source is that it avoids the over-current that a resistor is likely prone to, extending the constant brightness time of your LED.

bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:

I am giving considerations to a good chip to use in a buck design, that would be small. Nothing has really stood out to me either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should perhaps look at the Linear Tech LTC1701. It has a low dropout voltage, and can output enough current for a LS. And it's in a nice small SOT-23 package. Because it has a 1.4MHz switching frequency, you can use a small ferrite-core inductor, and ceramic caps.

That is, if you want a voltage regulator. I still like constant-current designs.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bikeNomad:
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
[qb]
I am giving considerations to a good chip to use in a buck design, that would be small. Nothing has really stood out to me either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should perhaps look at the Linear Tech LTC1701. It has a low dropout voltage, and can output enough current for a LS. And it's in a nice small SOT-23 package. Because it has a 1.4MHz switching frequency, you can use a small ferrite-core inductor, and ceramic caps.

That is, if you want a voltage regulator. I still like constant-current designs.[/QB]

Thanks bikenomad, I'll check into the LT1701. Voltage regulation works fine for me. I haven't tried current regulation yet. What is most important is the overall efficiency, to me.

grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
bikeNomad,

The LT1701 has an input limit of 5.5 volts. It would work fine for 3 batteries. It really doesn't fit the bill for what I want to do, which is use a minimum of 4 AA's. The LM2595 handles a maximum voltage of 45 volts in, and has a 1 amp current rating. I run 8 AA's, and 2 Luxeons. I would like to make a circuit that is one inch in diameter, and be all SMD.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You might want to consider the LTC1877.

Efficiency is over 90% with Vin=7.2v and Iout=350mA.

No external transistor or Schottky diode required.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are right; still generates heat, but unlike a resistor, as you mentioned, no massive thermal effect with higher currents when new batteries are first used.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is there any chip out there using only a few components that is an efficient step-down voltage converter? I looked through Maxim's line and none of them seem to stand out.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am giving considerations to a good chip to use in a buck design, that would be small. Nothing has really stood out to me either. Anyway, for the time being, I have been using the LM2595 in a simple circuit. It works quite well with one or two Luxeons. I have used it to power 2 Luxeons at 3.2 volts (parallel), with 8 AA bateries (12 volts), no problems. I also am using this circuit in my headlamp conversion, which uses 4 AA's at 6 volts to 3.2 volts.

The only thing is that it is kind of big, I have it on a 1" X 2" circuit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.