Drooling over SF Vaporware

protodoc

Newly Enlightened
On the Surefire forum I saw a schematic diagram of the L1, L2, A2, C2D, and M2D flashlights.

The L1 is out and the A2 is almost out but does anyone have any information if (dare I say when) the other models will be released?

GeoffChan

Enlightened
yellowsleep.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 is out in white
A2 is next (white)
C2D is next
A2HID is after that
KL4,5,6,7,8,9,SC3 are in line also....

L2,M2D has been killed(as far as I know)

p.s. People still look at my pics on SFDB
bluesigh.gif
good ol' times
frown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm really happy to learn that they are using reflectors with the 5w leds. i have always found reflectors to much better than optics in all but the smallest applications.

and a reflector specially designed for a led! that is even more exciting!

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I had a chance to sample the KL4,5,6,and 7 at the SHOT Show, and I can't wait for them. They were very bright and white as far as I could tell under the poor test conditions. The higher the model # the brighter the light. On an E2e, the KL4 appeared to be at least as bright as my 6P/P60 that I brought to compare. Also, I tried out the new clickie switch on an E2, and it seems to work good. The tailcap has a short protective metal lip added around the edge. The only thing that feels weird about it is that when clicked to the on position, the rubber cover (which looks the same as the current cover) pops back up to it's original position, while the switch button underneath it stays depressed into the tail housing. When you turn it off, the rubber needs to be depressed about the same distance as it sticks out of the tail until it comes back in contact with the actual button underneath it. In spite of this, it is a big improvement over the present switch. My future EDC may be an E2 with a KL4 and the clickie.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
FC are you sure about A2 HID? and C2D "D" as in Digital regulated?

I really hope so, I wanted to get my hands on a M2D but C2D and HID will do nicely. Can´t wait!

Thnx!
Alex

Size15's

Flashaholic
No production of C2D that I am aware of.
No production of A2-HID that I am aware of.

Not that I am in any way best placed right now to confirm this...

Al

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by AlexGT:
FC are you sure about A2 HID?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It had never occurred to me that you could do a HID in an A2 form-factor. I'd expect that an A2HID would have a much longer head to (safely!) accommodate the voltage regulation logic and a larger head (read: containment chamber). There's some real engineering going on here and getting the heat and reflector issues solved don't seem easy either.

But, if they can really put a 5+ watt HID in something remotely close to an A2 and get an hour run-time out of it we'll all be using the new gremlin with PK
bowdown.gif
, and the lucky ones will be a lot poorer.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by kz1000s1:
I had a chance to sample the KL4,5,6,and 7 at the SHOT Show, and I can't wait for them. They were very bright and white as far as I could tell under the poor test conditions. The higher the model # the brighter the light.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KL7 for the 3.6v 8x is brighter than KL6 for 9v M3/M6
confused.gif
grin.gif
If that's the case, I bet there'll be aftermarket modder to make tube for li-ion for KL7 which will be a lot smaller:)

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with 5W HID, it requires high current (due to high voltage) to do the start. X990 draws 6 to 7A during start. This put a lot stress on small batteries. M6-HID is possible but A2 ... May be PK has some real trick (great technology) in mind.

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Seriously, I'm currently visiting PK at SureFire. I'm having some fun with you guys (get in line to slap me okay) To put it in plain speak just so we are clear, the A2-HID is bullshit I made up.

KL4 will be released for the E2e which is great news. It's a brilliant adapter.

Al

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by Alan:
Even with 5W HID, it requires high current (due to high voltage) to do the start. X990 draws 6 to 7A during start. This put a lot stress on small batteries. M6-HID is possible but A2 ... May be PK has some real trick (great technology) in mind.

Alan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A UK LC100 Light Cannon manages to start with only 8 Alkaline C cells. I assume that 3-4 CR123A batteries could do it too. Evil Al
twak.gif
had me thinking in terms of an M4 where a ballast was somehow stuffed behind the head in place of the fourth battery.

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by muggsuxx:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> get in line to slap me okay
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, that's not enough. I already broke the news to a web site in Japan.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">muggs: you got your revenge. Evil Al
twak.gif
now has to explain to PK why, after all of SF's efforts to avoid the vaporware mistakes of the past, Al is making up new vaporware for people world-wide to complain about.
rolleyes.gif

It actually had me going
grin.gif
. An A2 seems out of the question, but an M4 or M6 just seems possible if someone were to spend a lot of money on developing a bulb & ballast. I don't see anything happening unless a very well funded HID bulb manufacturer decided to create new markets and poured money into a super-miniaturized ballast and a tiny bulb & containment vessel.

protodoc

Newly Enlightened
Too bad that the L2 and M2D won't make it to market. Those were the models I was most interested in. The KL4 head sounds exciting, though.
Thanks to all for the updates.