Drop Ins for the Solarforce L2T host??

Gilcano

Newly Enlightened
I was googling about this and get a lot of P60 answers. Saw a few threads about people asking the same question, many recommend Nailbender, and Vinhhnguyen but they do not specify anything about lumens only about throw or floody or mix . Not certain what to use, when I was looking up I came across to this: SPORTAC P60 CREE XP-G2 1224 Lumen LED Drop In. It claims 1224 Lumens.
http://goinggear.com/sportac-p60-cree-xp-g2-1224-lumen-led-drop-in-for-p60-body-surefire-flashlights.html
Thanks any suggestions will be appreciated. Didn't want to bring those all threads back to life.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bringing an old thread back to life is not necessarily a bad thing if you have something new to add or ask. Unfortunately for most things and especially a topic like this, reading through pages and pages of those old threads is where all the good info is :)

Simply put, you'll hear a lot about Malkoff, Nailbender and Vinh drop ins because that's what most people run and it's the best stuff out there.

As for output, beam profile and mode options, we don't talk specifics because each builder offers many options. Between the LED, reflector, mode options and occasionally drive current options, there are thousands of possible combinations to suit your specific needs.

What do you want out of your drop in? Are you interested in a flooder or thrower or something in between?

Does the tint of the LED matter to you? (warmer, cooler, etc)

What kind of batteries are you planning to run? Rechargeable or primary?

What's your output/runtime compromise? Are you willing to sacrifice runtime for the absolute brightest light available or do you need a light that will make sufficient light for hours on end?

Is weight important?

Is durability important? How important? (life and death or just a preference)

Will the light be used for tactical purposes? (law enforcement/military) will it be weapon mounted?

What is your mode preference? One more that is easy to access or several output levels? Do you want blinking modes like a signal or sos?

If you can answer these questions and figure out what you're really looking for in a drop in, it will be easier to help you narrow down those thousands of choices to exactly what you want.

Cheers!

-G

Gilcano

Newly Enlightened
Thanks @GeoBruin for your comments. Nothing to fancy I'm looking mainly for a thrower (about 1000 lumens), preferably in cool white to run in a L2T Solarforce host with 1-18650 battery. Weight is not that important and is not going to be mounted in any weapon. I would like a durable light in maybe 3 modes L-M-H. This is going to be my workhorse light.
Thanks

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info. I'd like to dig just a bit deeper if you don't mind... for example: You mention you're looking for a thrower and then you say about 1000 lumens. The issue I see is that about the only LED that will make 1000 lumens using standard battery configurations in a P60 host is the XM-L2 and its variants. The problem is that this LED option may not offer the best throw in this package. An XP-G2 (especially a de-domed version) will produce a smaller, more intense beam which, in terms of flashlights is the definition of throw. You will definitely not get as much light overall from the XP-G2 but more of the light you do get will be focused into a tighter hot spot. Just something to think about.

If you're looking for a great combination beam, the XM-L2 is a clear winner due to the higher efficiency (higher output). If you want to eek a little more throw out of the XM-L at the cost of a few lumens (and usually a shift toward a slightly warmer tint) the de-domed XM-L2 models with a smooth reflector such as the one posted by tyxxvxl in this thread is going to be pretty hard to beat in terms of output. Keep in mind however that a drop-in pulling 5-6 Amps is going to require batteries capable of delivering that kind of current (LiMn2O4) and an upgraded switch (McClicky etc) so plan on spending a little extra money for those items. Vinh's non-T version drop ins and most of Nailbender's stuff will function fine with a good quality LiCoO2 cell and the stock tail cap.

Thanks @GeoBruin for your comments. Nothing to fancy I'm looking mainly for a thrower (about 1000 lumens), preferably in cool white to run in a L2T Solarforce host with 1-18650 battery. Weight is not that important and is not going to be mounted in any weapon. I would like a durable light in maybe 3 modes L-M-H. This is going to be my workhorse light.
Thanks

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree with Geo.
If you are looking for more throw go with the XPG2 led.
Or like he said a dedomed XML2.
Or you could ho for crazy throw and go dedomed XPG2 :)
I have two of Vinh's P60's XPG2 and XML2 both dedomed as I am on a throw kick at the moment ha ha.
The XPG2 throws very far but the XML2 is brighter.
Both are absolutly amazing btw :)
Just take a look at what you are really going to do with the light.
And don't forget, you get what you pay for ha ha
Ty