Drop-ins to fit Solarforce L2M 3 mode 500L limit, Nailbender, Solarforce or what?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been given two Solarforce L2M Bodies and I don't know what drop-in to install in them to make the most out of them.

I like Cool White as my preference in tints.

Solarforce have an XM-L U2 5 mode 880 lumen 2.7V - 9V drop-in but the body is only supposed to handle 500 lumens.

Should I go for a Nailbender drop-in and what are the advantages of using his brand of drop-in?

The L2M has a limit of 500 lumens heatwise.

I will probably use 1 x 18650 or 2 x RCR123s in them.

The current switch is rated to 3 amps but I will probably get McClicky switches for them.

There are so many drop-ins around it is hard to decide which to pick XP-E, XP-G, XP-G2, XML, U2 etc.

Please feel free to give me some suggestions as I have not had anything to do with drop-ins before this.

Cheers :shrug:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Lumen is light output, it's not heat, so I'm not sure how a light can only handle 500 lumen. As long as the thermal path is good and there is a way to remove the heat from the light, then any output should be ok.

Drop-ins aren't good for heat transfer, since a drop-in might not fit the host perfectly and cause a bad thermal path and a overheating module. Some people have used copper sheets to fill the gaps between the drop-in and the body and that will help with heat transfer.

I think most drop-ins should be fin in your light as long as you can ensure a good thermal path.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look on Solarforces website (not their sales one) that same XM-L U2 drop in is only rated at 550 lumens. No idea how/why Solarforce claim different ratings at different times.....

I have the 3 mode XM-L U2 Solarforce drop in, it was my first p60 with my L2M. It handled the heat fine, although I admit I don't tend to run it for long periods of time. The PWM (or constant current) on M and L seemed good too.

However I'm not convinced by it's regulation in High. It seemed to dim far too easily as the cell depleted. With 3.9-3.9v in the EagleTac 3100mAh 18650 the drop in was noticeably dimmer as though it was being direct driven.

I've also bought myself the Ultrafire 3 mode XM-L T6 from Manafont. I think this is a great value drop in. It is brighter than the SF one, although maybe not massively so. And it does heat up a little more (although again I tend to only use my lights for short periods of time rather than long constant use).

PWM on M and L is more evident though. So far I haven't noticed it dim like the SF one did, but I can't say that it won't until I've spent more time using it.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look on Solarforces website (not their sales one) that same XM-L U2 drop in is only rated at 550 lumens. No idea how/why Solarforce claim different ratings at different times.....

I have the 3 mode XM-L U2 Solarforce drop in, it was my first p60 with my L2M. It handled the heat fine, although I admit I don't tend to run it for long periods of time. The PWM (or constant current) on M and L seemed good too.

However I'm not convinced by it's regulation in High. It seemed to dim far too easily as the cell depleted. With 3.9-3.9v in the EagleTac 3100mAh 18650 the drop in was noticeably dimmer as though it was being direct driven.

I've also bought myself the Ultrafire 3 mode XM-L T6 from Manafont. I think this is a great value drop in. It is brighter than the SF one, although maybe not massively so. And it does heat up a little more (although again I tend to only use my lights for short periods of time rather than long constant use).

PWM on M and L is more evident though. So far I haven't noticed it dim like the SF one did, but I can't say that it won't until I've spent more time using it.

I saw those two U2 drop-ins.

One rated at 550 and the other at 880 and I could not work out whether it was the same drop-in or not.

What do you think is the correct rating?

Are there many drop-ins yet using the more efficient XP-G2 in them?

Drop-ins have to be a pretty neat fit from what I hear to give you a good thermal path.

I will keep looking around but Solarforce are a good buy, but are they low quality as well?

I saw somewhere that the L2M had a 500 lumen limit on the drop-in used in it, I will try to find that info again.

Cheers

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw those two U2 drop-ins.

One rated at 550 and the other at 880 and I could not work out whether it was the same drop-in or not.

What do you think is the correct rating?

Are there many drop-ins yet using the more efficient XP-G2 in them?

Drop-ins have to be a pretty neat fit from what I hear to give you a good thermal path.

I will keep looking around but Solarforce are a good buy, but are they low quality as well?

I saw somewhere that the L2M had a 500 lumen limit on the drop-in used in it, I will try to find that info again.

Cheers
Honestly I wouldn't like to say what is the correct rating, and then what is accurate in terms of OTF, ANSI or just LED lumens. That said I'm pretty sure the 880 lumen claim on the sales website is pretty bogus, as that'd be quite a heavily driven XM-L, of which it just doesn't draw enough current to be at that level.

I think there are some XP-G2 drop ins, but I think they are more the premium sort. I've not seen any 'budget' ones even mentioned yet. On my L2M I've cut up a Coke can/soda can and shimmed the drop in for a more snug fit. Only takes 5 mins to do and has zero affect on being able to change drop ins quickly but does improve the thermal path.

Afraid I don't know anything about a claimed lumen limit. All of the Solarforce drop ins say they are suitable for the L2M, also I'm quite happy just to try it and see. It'll be fairly obvious if it gets too hot and if it does just turn it off. ;)