Dual Scolos or Dual P3D Q5s?

williamjay

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have been researching the Fenix P3D Q5 as a bike light and just learned of the Scolo tonight. How do they compare to one another? What is the runtime on high an low for the Scolo? Does it have a strobe feature or is it only high/low?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

williamjay

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the info. But, I would like people's opinions of the Scolo and how it would compare to the P3D Q5. As far as run times for the batteries go, I was specifically referrring to the battery packs Warren sells for the Scolo.

Thanks.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I appreciate the info. But, I would like people's opinions of the Scolo and how it would compare to the P3D Q5. As far as run times for the batteries go, I was specifically referrring to the battery packs Warren sells for the Scolo.
Thanks.
Hey williamjay, I was wondering the same as the Scolo's look very promising - Btw, aside from the beamshots provided by Warren, I don't think I have seen any other beamshots or reviews at this time.... I believe the question about runtime was answered by another CPF'er so I'll just give you my thoughts on having a dual P3D setup vs. dedicated bike light setup.

For my mtn bike setup, I had two older P3D-CE's that I have used for night-time, single-track riding: one attached to my handlebars and one to my helmet with Twofish blocks.

Pros: Great alternative to a fixed bike light as I could always remove the lights and use it for other purposes. Uses RCR123's that I have for other lights. Fairly light weight for the output (2xP3D-CE = 300+ lumens).

Cons: I began to notice the weight of the helmet-mounted light after 3+ hrs of riding. I found it annoying to switch out batteries on those longer epic night rides when the batteries start to go (I have discovered that I don't like carrying around extra RCR123's even with a SF Spares carrier in my pack). With the design of my handlebars (carbon Bontrager XXX Lite), the Twofish blocks sometimes slipped during more agressive sections during the ride and the light would aim downward which is extremely annoying when you're trying to negotiate a downhill switchback at speed.

Personally, I think it's time for me to have a dedicated bike light since they would run off of a single battery and the light mounts look very sturdy. So, I ordered a min-T custom bike light from three CPF'ers in another thread but I'm also going with the Scolo's as another dedicated bike light setup (i.e. back-up or for friends, etc.) instead of adding another P3D to my handlebars. My one remaining P3D (sold the other to my buddy) will now be used as a back-up or for friends who need a little extra light. My two cents...

Last edited: