Dumb newbie question

davidra

Enlightened
Most everything I have is 123 powered, but I just traded for an EM Tristar Phaser, which runs on 3 C cells. I'd like to be able to leave this on my boat for extended periods of time, replacing the 2C 3X123 mod I have there now. I noticed that on the Batterystation website there are listed some lithium C cell batteries, but they're listed at 3 V (and they cost around 15 bucks each). Would these work in a Phazer without blowing out the LEDs, and are there cheaper alternatives for a long shelflife salt air resistant C battery?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light does not have any circuitry in it so putting 9 volts into a 4.5 volt light would probably blow it instantly. One option would be to get some AA lithium cells and put them inside of a C cell adapter.

davidra

Enlightened
Hadn't thought about that, but I assume that would make for a pretty slim runtime. Does anyone make a standard C cell lithium battery?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could easily figure out a good solution for this light.. (2) 3V C sized lithium primary batteries and a spacer with some built-in resistance.. would give you the long term reliability you need.. put a resistor into a 'dummy cell' so you have the space of three cells.. depending on the light.. you could overdrive a little bit 5V or even 6V.. but i'd recommend keeping it closer to the norm to not waste $30 worth of batteries.

-awr

dmholt

Newly Enlightened
It also depends on how long the shelf life really needs to be. Perhaps I'm being naive to belive the manufacturers, but I've seen name brand alkalines cliam a shelf life of anywhere from 3 to 5 years. That is less than the 10 years of a CR123, but in your position I would consider just putting in good qulaity alkalines and changing them every year or two. There may well be other factors, and if so hopefully some of the more knowledgable members of CPF will point them out.

Dan

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Dummy cells with resistance. That sounds interesting. What dummy cell would be ideal for this mod. RadioShacks AA dummy in a C to AA adapter?

Bill