Duracell Ion Core AA & AAA

L_D_Allan

Newly Enlightened
Have you troubled yourself to read this Duracell Ion Core thread?

Well, yes, I attempted to read the 135+ posts of the thread. Sorry that you (and perhaps others?) perceive me as being an AskHole.

There were some posts that mentioned prices, but some of those were for AAA's. Also, some posts with prices were 3 to 6+ months old, and prices do change both up and down. My impression was that some of the really low prices may have been associated with Black Friday, and not necessarily still available.

So, I thought I might ask (for myself and possibly others) if the Sam's Club price for 8 AA plus 2 AAA was good, bad, or indifferent.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
So, I thought I might ask (for myself and possibly others) if the Sam's Club price for 8 AA plus 2 AAA was good, bad, or indifferent.

depends upon whether the Sam's Ion Cores are the same (made in Japan) as the one's being discussed. If so, then the price is Indifferent. Toys R Us has had them on their website -- since the beginning of this thread anyway -- @ 4/$9.

L_D_Allan

Newly Enlightened
depends upon whether the Sam's Ion Cores are the same (made in Japan) as the one's being discussed. If so, then the price is Indifferent. Toys R Us has had them on their website -- since the beginning of this thread anyway -- @ 4/$9.

Thanks. The Duracell AA's appear to be the same Made-In-Japan as the 4-pack at Toys-R-Us. For me, the Toys-R-Us appear to be a better value, as I really don't have much use for the AAA batteries that are part of the Sam's Club "bundle". If I had use for the AAA's, then it seems they are about of equal value. Or not?

MarioJP

Enlightened
Re: Duracell Ion Core AA & AAA

I am having a issue with these ion core AA cells. I recently did a charge test to see where they stand. After the test was done. I am only getting around 2200mAh out of them. Nowhere near their rated capacities. The usage on these cells is moderate, so they're still kind of new. Do i need to break them in?

Thanks

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am having a issue with these ion core AA cells. I recently did a charge test to see where they stand. After the test was done. I am only getting around 2200mAh out of them. Nowhere near their rated capacities. The usage on these cells is moderate, so they're still kind of new. Do i need to break them in?

I didn't have to break any of mine in, and from the first full charge they were achieving above their rated capacities.

They (like almost all NiMH) do increase in tested capacity with some usage, but nothing dramatic.

Provided you trust your capacity measurements - 2200mAh sounds really low for Duracell Ion-Core AA -
that's more like really good regular Eneloop or Duracell -Pre-Charged (non Ion-Core)
can you confirm they do look like the batteries in the pictures in the opening post?

MarioJP

Enlightened
They are the ones in the pic Duracell ion core, black top guarantee to last 5 years. Also, it has a bit more weight than the regular eneloops. Slightly fatter too. And their voltage characteristics between the regular eneloops and these ion core are noticeably different. Their resting voltages after a few hours off the charger is anywhere between 1.38v-1.35v. Where as the eneloops rests at 1.41v even after a day. That seems a bit low just after a few hours resting.

tripplec

Enlightened
My Ion Cores Tested pretty much at spec's of the package. If you have the earlier vintage NON Ion Cores then that is certainly going to be much less.

What charger did you use to measure the charge after discharging it?

MarioJP

Enlightened
This is the charger i am using.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z5XXZU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Discharge rate at 500Ma. The battery wrapper seems to be identical just like the pic on this thread. Made in Japan. These ion-core were on sale at Wallgreens. Best bang for the buck

Going to retry the test again, discharging at 500Ma only this time i made sure the cells were topped off or voltages reaching 1.52v-1.54v. I suspect that these cells are not being fully charged, early termination? Will see how this test goes.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks again for the detailed review UnknownVT, and for all the great info posted here by everybody.

I got results very similar to yours from two sets of AAs that I bought. Haven't tried the AAAs yet but I'm sure I will.

Just one thing, one of the 8 AAs I have takes much longer to charge than the others, and I mean long, like two to three times as long. Not sure what that's all about but anyway, overall I'm satisfied with these batteries especially at the price.

Last edited:

tripplec

Enlightened
This is the charger i am using.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z5XXZU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Discharge rate at 500Ma. The battery wrapper seems to be identical just like the pic on this thread. Made in Japan. These ion-core were on sale at Wallgreens. Best bang for the buck

Going to retry the test again, discharging at 500Ma only this time i made sure the cells were topped off or voltages reaching 1.52v-1.54v. I suspect that these cells are not being fully charged, early termination? Will see how this test goes.

Haha that's the same one I used. You can set the discharge rate higher than the default apparently and if you use 1000mA charging I find those charges will heat the battery (too hot for my liking). 750mA if you're not watching it. Otherwise hang around and touch it now and then the batteries get hot after 1.45V even with the bottom spaced off a surface for air flow. I have two other chargers but neither will measure capacity as this does.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one thing, one of the 8 AAs I have takes much longer to charge than the others, and I mean long, like two to three times as long. Not sure what that's all about but anyway, overall I'm satisfied with these batteries especially at the price.

That does not sound right -

Has this happened more than once?
If so
Is it with the same slot on your charger?

May not be in your case, but I did have a really well spec'd charger with a faulty channel/slot -
if there is interest - links:
Summary in Post #72
Initial test of fault post #55
Confirmation of fault Post #59

Hope you resolve the issue.

tripplec

Enlightened
This charger does indicate the current that is actually flowing through each channel. Toggle the mode reading the display to see this. It does take a while to figure out especially without backlighting I have to get mine where there is bright light on it. My eyes not as good as they used to be. Each cell is normally charging at a similar current which is a dead give away if one is way off. You can swap batteries in between channels at any time if you want to see what happens. It will mess the capacity calculation if you do but this is not the point and each channel is programmable with a different current. Maybe it is 250mA and others are much higher. There is a PDF you can download on that charger from their website.

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened

Haha that's the same one I used. You can set the discharge rate higher than the default apparently and if you use 1000mA charging I find those charges will heat the battery (too hot for my liking). 750mA if you're not watching it. Otherwise hang around and touch it now and then the batteries get hot after 1.45V even with the bottom spaced off a surface for air flow. I have two other chargers but neither will measure capacity as this does.
Haha good to know!. Something tells me that this charger is the La crosse in disguise because it sure behaves just like the La Crosse, but with slight differences. Suh as, no individual slot selection and its way cheaper. But for everything else. Its a La Crosse under another brand in a new body haha. Even right down to the discharge glitch at low currents. This glitch or bug is. If you discharge 4 cells at a time at 100mA or at low currents. The voltages on all 4 slots causes to dip by .5mv lasts about a split second before jumping right back up again and repeats every 20 to 40 seconds. This kind of ruins the accuracy of cell capacity because if the cell voltage is at 0.95v. 20 or so seconds later, voltage will dip from 0.95v to 0.90v in a split second, triggering the charge mode. I found 2 solutions for this glitch. 1 discharge at 500mA when discharging all 4 cells 2. Only use 2 cells at a time when discharging at low currents. Does not matter which slot. This solves the voltage dipping glitch. Very odd glitch

I have 2 of the same charger and the glitch is on both of them lol. Now back to the cells, i had to repeat the test because i missed the readings and discharge mode does not record the final results (dammit lol).

Update

Finished discharging these cells and it turns out that these cells have exceeded their rated capacity. The first 7 cells ranging from 2.53Ah-2.56Ah. The last one ended up being 2.6Ah. So i don't know what went wrong previously but i am pleased with the results.

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haha good to know!. Something tells me that this charger is the La crosse in disguise because it sure behaves just like the La Crosse, but with slight differences. Suh as, no individual slot selection and its way cheaper. But for everything else. Its a La Crosse under another brand in a new body haha. Even right down to the discharge glitch at low currents. This glitch or bug is. If you discharge 4 cells at a time at 100mA or at low currents. The voltages on all 4 slots causes to dip by .5mv lasts about a split second before jumping right back up again and repeats every 20 to 40 seconds. This kind of ruins the accuracy of cell capacity because if the cell voltage is at 0.95v. 20 or so seconds later, voltage will dip from 0.95v to 0.90v in a split second, triggering the charge mode. I found 2 solutions for this glitch. 1 discharge at 500mA when discharging all 4 cells 2. Only use 2 cells at a time when discharging at low currents. Does not matter which slot. This solves the voltage dipping glitch. Very odd glitch

I have 2 of the same charger and the glitch is on both of them lol. Now back to the cells, i had to repeat the test because i missed the readings and discharge mode does not record the final results (dammit lol).

Update

Finished discharging these cells and it turns out that these cells have exceeded their rated capacity. The first 7 cells ranging from 2.53Ah-2.56Ah. The last one ended up being 2.6Ah. So i don't know what went wrong previously but i am pleased with the results.

Hmm, i only have that voltage dip problem with older cells. But it's ideal anyway for AA cells to be charged at 500mA or higher so using the higher settings for those cells is ideal. Some cells have developed high-IR so i have no choice but to choose 100mA discharge/200mA charge. Going to try this on some Eneloops at some point but generally i notice when it starts to dip under 1.1 volts is when the voltage drops anyhow.

MarioJP

Enlightened

The glitch only happens on any given cell regardless of what state the cells are in while in discharge mode at low discharge rates. I mean, its a minor issue and it still does the job. Just don't expect accuracy when measuring cell capacity. Unless, 2 cells are being discharged at a time.

onthebeam

Enlightened

I did call Duracell today about the Ion Cores.

They confirmed that the first three digits are date code.

For example, "426. . ." indicated a battery made in the 26th week of 2014.