Duracell Power Gauge and Mobile Chargers

F

fishx65

Enlightened
I've had the Mobile for about a week now and it seems to be doing a great job. Was thinking about picking up a Power Gauge with the 1700's at a good price. Besides charge rate, is there much of a difference between the two? Seems like there's a lot of info on here about the Gauge but not much about the Mobile.

Marduke

Marduke

Flashaholic
The power gauge charger really doesn't give you any more info. You put them on, it tells you when they are done. Unless you get an exceptional deal on it for use as a spare charger, it doesn't really add anything to what you currently have.

F

fishx65

Enlightened
The reason I'm asking is that I'm gonna purchase another charger. Just wondering if I should go with another Mobile or take the good deal on the Gauge. For the last 15 years I've been using two old Energizer wall chargers without any problems at all but I figured it's time for an upgrade. The old Energizer chargers I have charge at 150ma for AA and 50ma for AAA with a 15 hour timer! Been charging my 32 Hybrids with these for about 3 years. I'm gonna keep 2 chargers at my cabin and 2 at home so I don't have to remember to take them back and forth.

Marduke

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like you use a lot of NiMH cells. You may want to include one good charger at home to keep everything in good health. Something like the BC-900.

Otherwise, more Mobile chargers is probably the better choice, as they include LSD cells. If you shop carefully, you can even get them with the Duraloops bundled.

F

fishx65

Enlightened
I have not seen the Mobile with Duraloops. The one I picked up was on clearence at Target ($17.00) and came with two 2000 aa's and two 800 aaa's. I don't think these are the pre-carged LSD bats.

jhellwig

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
There is one thing bad about the duracell mobile charger if you use batteries to run the usb port. Mine seams to have to have all 4 batteries in it to work right. IF you run it till it won't run anymore it will drain 2 of the batteries completely dead before it shuts off. It did run for 4 days with an ipod charging on it before it shut off though.

Marduke

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have not seen the Mobile with Duraloops. The one I picked up was on clearence at Target ($17.00) and came with two 2000 aa's and two 800 aaa's. I don't think these are the pre-carged LSD bats.

Check again. I'm almost positive all versions of the Mobile charger come with some variety of Pre-Charged cells. Some with Duraloops, some with DuraHybrids

There is one thing bad about the duracell mobile charger if you use batteries to run the usb port. Mine seams to have to have all 4 batteries in it to work right. IF you run it till it won't run anymore it will drain 2 of the batteries completely dead before it shuts off. It did run for 4 days with an ipod charging on it before it shut off though.

That's because the charger doesn't have a boost circuit, so it needs all 4 cells to match a typical USB 5V output.

F

fishx65

Enlightened
Your right Marduke, the package says pre-charged. This one came with the DuraHybrids. For some reason I thought it would say pre-charged or LSD on the batteries. Thanks!

F

fishx65

Enlightened
Looks like I'm gonna go with the Mobile's. I don't know if this means anything but the Mobile goes green pretty quick after I put a freshly charged cell in it. The Gauge seems to charge for about 1/2 hour with a freshly charged cell. I tried this a few times to confirm. I'm assuming the Mobile senses the state of charge better then the Gauge. Correct?