Duracell replaces things damaged by alkalines?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this on Reddit. Not sure if they would replace 50-200 dollar flashlights, but if so it might be a reason to use Duracell alkalines for those time when you do have to use alkalines. There is a link on the page. I'm assuming this is probably applicable only to their newest cells. Maybe they've gotten better about preventing leaking. Would be interesting to do a long term test on them. Maybe drain some cells and put them in a really cheap light for months.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2ykotk/lpt_duracell_will_replace_or_repair_items_that/

edit: here is the direct link to the Duracell guarantee page: http://www.duracell.com/en-us/guarantee

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm into Duracell for close to 1K in damages for alkaleaks that were within date but still puked inside the devise they were being used in.

Duracell replaced a Led Lenser 3P-AFS and a 7T that the AAA batteries leaked in and got into the switches. They were gifts to my father. The 3P was around $35 and the 7T was almost $70.

There may be some changes since they were sold off to Berkshire Hathaway.

Eneloop cells are much cheaper in the long run.

Drclaw

Newly Enlightened
I have heard of a lot of instances of this working out for the customer. I advise it if you had a leak!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
add another +1 to the stack of lithium primary or eneloop to prevent damage from "alkaleaks," as we say.

Note that rechargeable lithium isn't the same league, and barely the same sport as 1.5v or less non-rechargeable batteries.

To my knowledge, only one user here normally defends alkalines. :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. So while I don't recommend most people use alkalines most of the time. I guess maybe this is a good reason to get Duracells if you do want to store some. Good marketing strategy by them.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duralock Duracells have had a fairly good track record with me, for alkalines anyway.

Alkies really are a mixed bag. I quit buying them alltogether a couple of years ago. All I have are batteries that came with things as I'm 100% rechargeable unless I'm vampiring weak alkaline batteries for fun. Yes, I vampire batteries. I don't actually do anything with the light, except play with it. Shine it on some deer, perhaps. Nothing special.

I really suggest against storing alkalines of any stripe in a device for years and years. Recipe for failure.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Energizer and Rayovac have similar warranties.
Energizer: "We will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by this battery if it is sent with batteries to Energizer."
Rayovac: "We will replace, repair or refund any device damaged by our batteries."

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless they pay your shipping costs to them, you're probably still out $10-$20 bucks, even if they do replace it.

Just don't use alkaleaks of any brand. You'll be smarter for it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
In my case a 25 year old boom box was ruined. Wonder how they would "replace" it?

Redd

Newly Enlightened
I have had replacements and accomodations (refunds) by all three over the years. All three leak, I think Duracell the most. And for over a decade I've told them all "I don't want more power, I want no leaks". I think other folks must have said the same thing because now they all advertise "less leaks".

All three have been very accommodating about their warranty terms. They will try to repair, if they can't repair they try to replace with brand new and they will ask you to direct them to an equivalent new product and vendor, your choice of both. If there's nothing new out there...you've got to try to reach an agreement with them. Something like a vintage good quality boom box, they just might be able to repair.

And I suspect that if you mention the shipping costs, they might send you a prepaid return label to ship it in to them.

As I said, all three have been very accommodating.

And having said that, I still rub silicon grease on all batteries now. Prevents corrosion, and contains a lot of the damage if they do leak. Big cheap tubes are sold as "high temperature brake grease" in the auto parts stores. No need to use the electronics specialty stuff at 10x the price.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Nothing out there now sounds as good as my old monster. Fortunately it still works on AC and I am unlikely to sport it on my shoulder these days. My idea was to blast the best tunes at the beach to attract the girls. They wear headphones these days and I Would need a lot more than a boom box to attract them! LOL

broadgage

Enlightened
I had an obscure brand but fairly good quality aluminium 2D flashlight damaged by leaking Duracells, they replaced it with a 2D Maglite which I considered to be fair.
Also had an obsolete large handlamp damaged by Duracells fairly recently, they replaced it with a 4D maglight.

I suspect that Duracell may have some sort of deal with Mag instrument whereby damaged obsolete or no longer available flashlights are replaced with the nearest similar Mag product.