DuraPRO MegaBRITE 5 LED Flashlight

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
While Krogering yesterday I came across a new flashlight they're selling, the DuraPRO MegaBRITE 5 LED Flashlight. At a price of only 6.79 I figured it was worth a look. I'm happy to say that it was indeed worth the price.

This light uses three AA batteries (supplied) in a carrier, giving a total power of 4.5 volts. I don't like to run LEDs with that much voltage because they'll draw large amounts of current, shortening their life. Neither do they produce very much more light when grossly overdriven. The manufacturer of this light, however, has wisely chosen to add enough resistance to the circuit so that the current draw is limited to 40mA per LED on fresh batteries. With a used set of Alkalines measuring 1.3v per battery, this light draws only 100mA total, or 20 mA per LED.

The output from this light is surprisingly good, coming close to that of an Inova X5. The beam pattern is a very smooth flood. The color of the beam is exceptionally good, being pure white for the most part, and slowly tapering to a warm white around the edges.

This light is constructed of what appears to be a reasonably durable plastic, with a rubber covering over the rear, both sides, and the bezel. The material at the rear measures about a half inch in thickness. The light is slightly tail-heavy, increasing its chances of landing on its strongest point if dropped. The only design point I question is the dome-shaped lens, which protrudes beyond the rubber sleeve surrounding the bezel. I haven't done any water testing, but I believe that this light should handle splashes and rain fairly well.

Finding a well-designed and built light with excellent output and color at a low price has been a rarity up to this point. It looks as though that's beginning to change.

P.S......I forgot to mention earlier that this light has a proper clicky with temporary on capability.

dpro.jpg
dprobat.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the only lights that direct drive with 3 cells are the AAA and smaller batteries. I look forward to more 3-4AA cell LED lights as they are cheap to make and have a decent amount of capacity to have nice runtime. I think target may carry that brand.. dura something if I remember correctly but I don't recall them having a $7 light worth looking at. They have a $12 CCFL/3LED but it uses 4AAA cells.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a surprising number of inexpensive muti-5mm LED lights out there. Some, as you noted, are pretty nice...and a great replacement for the typical household light.

I think Craig reviewed a little Coleman light with 5mm LEDs, about $10. Looked at them in Meijer, seemed pretty nice.

It is a great time to be a flashaholic...

Bob

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
5mm direct drive LED lights will probably be popping up more and more over time as they are almost as simple to make as fancy cheap incan lights are.. only part added is a resistor which in quantity probably costs around a nickle.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light's home page is here:
http://www.durapro.com/product.asp?catalog_name=durapro&category_name=more&product_id=10-131

Googling Durapro + Megabrite turned up no additional hits, as of May 5, 2005.

Thanks for the review. I seek out AA lights whose cells are arranged side by side; such lights can fit in my belt pouch. They are rare among 2AA lights (UK 2AA and Princeton Tec Tec-20 incandescents), 3AA (Elektrolumens Blaster Jr. LED) and 4AA (Tec-40 incandescent). It's good to have another choice...especially an under-$10 model with a convenient thumbswitch that can work in full-on and momentary modes.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul.....Thanks for finding their website. They look like a very innovative company. I saw THIS 18v cordless drill/driver at Kroger for 19.95. I'll be buying one of THESE pocket tools as soon as I can find one.