DX Cree P4 or DX SSC Z-LED ? Dealextreme 6th Feb

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Elly's on order too.

So, expect a great shootout soon.

My usual RT and comparative output graphs.

1) Standard 1W
2) Cree P4
3) Seoul SSC Z-LED

Yes, it's a great hobby isn't it.

So practical too, and not that expensive.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the specs compare? All the binning structures are confusing me these days.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what this looks like, the T bin SSCP4 seems to be comparable to a P2/P3-Bin Cree XR-E...which is still pretty bright. At $7.50, that is still a good deal...plus less to tweak with direct Luxeon swap outs when compared to using a Cree XR-E. I ordered a couple to try--at that price it's worth it.

brighter

Newly Enlightened
ace0001a said:
Just calculated, that's $11 USD and that's before shipping...

Thats true, I'm looking forward to buy that ssc u-bin star and seems that I can't find it anywhere for less...

chris_m

Enlightened
rolling said:
T-bin: 80lm/w U-Bin: 100lm/w
Not quite - those are just nominal figures, and the actual bins cover a range of brightnesses - T is 70 to 91 and U is 91 to 118. Given they don't have separate production runs of T and U bin parts, they are simply graded after production, the chances are they are a lot closer than that - from the testing I've seen I'd suggest T bin is actually ~88lm and U bin ~95lm.

In answer to the original question, I'd suggest neither. From what I can see of those stars they both look like the ones which first came out for the XR-E, which have poor thermal performance - in other words the LED will be considerably hotter than it needs to be, resulting in less light and a shorter life. Personally I'd wait until the factory stars come out for the SSC, as these will have much better thermal performance - though I don't think even that linked U bin looks right - though this does: http://www.leds.de/product_info.php?info=p266_Seoul-Z-Power-LED-P4-star--white--240-lumen.html

Of course these parts are more expensive, but that seems to be the difference between T and U bin parts anyway, given how much more desireable the U bin is. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
farscape105 said:
Is the star board with the Cree here a better board for thermal, etc. than the SSC P4? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1302

I am trying to decide which star to get to swap out in my Nuwai Q3.

Dont forget about the Edison Opto LED. I swapped one for the s bin lux3 in my nuwai TM-115 light, and it appears to have twice the brightness. It focuses in the reflector without modification. It does have a bit of a yellow halo around the hotspot, though.

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
chris_m said:
In answer to the original question, I'd suggest neither. From what I can see of those stars they both look like the ones which first came out for the XR-E, which have poor thermal performance - in other words the LED will be considerably hotter than it needs to be, resulting in less light and a shorter life. Personally I'd wait until the factory stars come out for the SSC, as these will have much better thermal performance - though I don't think even that linked U bin looks right - though this does: http://www.leds.de/product_info.php?info=p266_Seoul-Z-Power-LED-P4-star--white--240-lumen.html.

OY VEY. 76 Euro to ship one to Canada according to thier shipping calculator. That's $116 CAD!!

chris_m

Enlightened
Yeah, but I wasn't necessarily suggesting you got one from there - when they get released by SSC, I'm sure the North American dealers will sell them.