DX R2 Drop in [ P60 clone ? ] sku.13658

Marduke

Flashaholic
Really ??? Lux is not a measure of brightness ??

And Ive posted the results for the Batt's , what it all equal's is a direct comparison , if you dont understand that , then reading this is a waste of time .

This thread is getting ?? a little out there , so Im going to stop replying now . Im sorry , but ?? :tired:

Lux is only a measure of hotspot intensity -- how well the light can throw. A highly focused 10 lumen light can absolutely smash a 1000 lumen floody light in "lux".

But as stated, try using 2x16340 cells. Most modules are not regulated on 1x18650, and fall into direct drive. You are then victim to things like forward voltage, individual circuit impedance, etc.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Really ??? Lux is not a measure of brightness ??

Lux is not a measure of overall output brightness. Lux is ONLY a measure of brightness at one spot.... it is a measure of concentrated spot-intensity/brightness. You can have a high lux light that emits low lumens, a laser pointer is an extreme example of this. Conversely you can have a high lumen light measure very low Lux... Zebralight headlamps for example.

The key is knowing what type of beam pattern you want to look at... understand what your personal preferences are, and pick a product(s) that meet those criteria.

Don't give up my man!! This is a highly technical forum, there is a lot to be learned from the more senior members. Just take it all in gradually, and understand that the technology is moving at a very fast pace.

In regards to your post... it wouldn't surprise me if two different modules measure significantly different Lux (and Lumen) outputs. The brightness BIN of XR-E is only a small piece of the puzzle. IMHO the drive current from the DC circuit is a FAR more significant contributor to lumen output (notice I said Lumen... not Lux).

For example... heres a P4 XR-E direct driven off an 18650, in a Home Depot DIY host. Compared to a malkoff M60 in a Surefire host. Yes the M60 is brighter, but its not as night and day different as one would expect, given the dramatically different BINs. The difference is the current delivered to the emitter.

dscn0547vl0.jpg

dscn0545mi1.jpg

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize its a measure of hot spot / throw . [ Lux meter @ 1 meter test ]
All my R2 's throw the same beam / size etc . There is very little difference .

When I went outside at night , this R2 assembly was not near as bright as the other two , my fault for not explaining I guess . I dont have a light box as yet , as Im trying to find some white cardboard - cheap / free !

Anyway , so obviously I haven't explained things as well as I could have , ill take the blame for that , + Im not giving up .

Naaaa , ill just have to build a light box :wave:

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
But you haven't eliminated the other variables either. Try running the module in regulation.

???? All CR123A posted results are with 2x3.7v RCR123A Batts for 8.4v , These flashlights can not run single CR123A , must be two ! or single 18650 which = 2xCR123A in length aprox ....

DX - sku.13658 - 501B @ 1 meter
1. Ebay RCR123a 5000Lux Two times RCR123A
2. Trustfire 18650 5400Lux [ x1 ]
3. DX RCR123a 4900Lux [ x2 ]
4. Trustfire RCR123a Protected 5000Lux [ x2 ]
5. Ultrafire 18650 Protected 5400Lux [ x1 ]

Ultrafire 502B R2 5 mode @ 1 meter
1. Ebay RCR123a 6600Lux
2. Trustfire 18650 6900Lux
3. DX RCR123a 6800Lux
4. Trustfire RCR123a Protected 6600Lux
5. Ultrafire 18650 Protected 7200Lux

Pictured Ultrafire 501B + 18650 + 2xRCR123A

The Ultrafire 501B does not allow for the use of a single CR123A .... Neither does the 502B , or the Solarforce L2 - which you can buy a short body for to run a single CR123A ..

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I found myself reading this thread wondering when someone will mention the difference in reflector quality!?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found myself reading this thread wondering when someone will mention the difference in reflector quality!?

Would not account for the difference .

I just blacked out one reflector to try out with my aspherical lens , all it did was to reduce flood , and the funky ness of the flood .

I put it back into the K2 , and fully blacked out , it has slightly reduced brightness . Im happy to leave the reflector blacked out for now , it makes so little difference . [ Luxeon K2 ] I might have to try it out now , with a regular lens and R2 .

Tried it , made for slightly more flood , no hot spot , just smoooth flood .

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Same lux readings w/ a blacked out reflector? I have been through a handful trying to find the best combo for a Q5 drop-in, settling om a LOP that came from solarforce. I have found huge differences in hotspot intensity dependent on quality of reflector finish.
The only sure way to know involves individual emitter Vf and equal drive current, you need to at least run each with the same driver.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm always annoyed when people refer to spill as "flood". Flood is a beam pattern, not the light around the hotspot.

Also, P60 is a module made by Surefire. This is a drop-in designed to work in a P60 accepting light(there are many) and is not a P60 clone. It doesn't have an incan bulb and is also has a longer reflector.

All of these LED drop-ins have a buck regulator, so as long as the batteries are a bit above the Vf of the LED (and within the working voltage of the driver) the drop-in should be regulated. Persume the Vf of the LED to be 3.7v.

Latest posts