E1L or something else?

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I want to get SF E1L for EDC, this has the added advantage that I already have the KL1-R mod done. Originally I wanted to get a HDS EDC U60 but they are hard to come by right now and a bit expensive. So my question is this… Get the E1L (probably will anyway) or wait to see what Novatac douse in February? Or get something else? If something else it has to be a LED, 1 X 123, clickey, as bright as E1L with 2+ hours of run time and not a mod, same quality as E1L. So any sunstones?

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I have a KL1 head on the FB1 body, however, I'm about to trade the FB1 body for an E1L body. That way I can use it w/a 2-stage switch modified for me by Milkyspit. It is a nice setup and I like the light (whether it be E1L or FB1 body). However, for EDC I favor my JetBeam-I, MK-II (although I would certainly like to get my hands on the HDS). The light is very small, has medium, low and high levels, comes in AA format w/clickie switch, and the ones being made now can accept the 123A tube (however, the 123A is a twistie switch). A single lithium ion AA will run on high for 3 hours. You can even get the AA tube extender when you want to run a pair of AA's for more power and similar runtime. Even better, you can use a 14500 rechargeable battery and get serious output.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello KE7AYF:)

My opinion: When you like the E1L go for it. You can also lurke in the sell forum for a HDS. You'll find a few these days. In the near future we can also expect a lot of nice lights at the market.

So it's up to you (and your wallet):whistle:

Best regards

____
Tom

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a HDS fan (best production pocket light there is IMHO) so if I were you I'd wait till Febuary and grab a U85.

I've also noticed that HDS lights crop up on an almost weekly basis on the BST forum...so there is a good chance of snagging one from here.

CFU

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1L is a sweet little light but with it's somewhat aspherical lens it is all throw and no spill and has a somewhat ringy looking squarish beam. I like mine but an HDS or Arc 4+ are much better lights and much more versatile. There is also some issue's with poor beam tint on the E1L - basically a Luxeon lottery unless you can buy at a local retail store (and probably pay a lot more). Lots of choices out there for a good single cell CR123 light. I'd visit www.flashlightreviews.com for some ideas. I have lately been very happy with anything I can find that has a FluPic or multimode light such as some of the Fenix P1D series (a twisty though for now) as you get your choice of long runtime or incredibly bright light depending on the situation - all in one light.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I know you said no mods...but the Surefire "milky L1" is well respected light around here, and it can be purchased from him all completed with no sending lights to and fro...just something else for you to consider.

CFU

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
Casual Flashlight User said:
BTW, I know you said no mods...but the Surefire "milky L1" is well respected light around here, and it can be purchased from him all completed with no sending lights to and fro...just something else for you to consider.

CFU

The ML1 providing thats its watter restint still could be a real contentder... But looks like Ile probley just hold out for the new HDS lights and get and E1L to tide me over.

Latest posts