EA4 Cool White - Neutral White Comparison Beam Shots -- New Pics Added on 1-11-13

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EA4 Cool White - Neutral White Comparison Beam Shots

Nice comparison pics. I also ways go for the NW version if I have the chance but of course the NW is a simple designation and the spectrum and color temp can vary for different lights. I notice that my old Eagletac M2XC4 NW is quite warm compared to most of my other NW lights. Yes, as someone mentioned NW is not HI-CRI, and HI-CRI does not specify the color temp, so it's good we have pictures so we can see what we like. Our brains are very good at adjusting for the color temperature range of the sun, and I can definitely see more detail with my NW emitters outdoors. I was out in the snow and cold last night, and even though the CW lights make the snow look more white, I could see better with the NW lights even at long ranges even when the output was less. Anyway I started transitioning to Neutral white after I got my first light with one, people just need to try a couple and decide what is best for their vision and usage.

RBH

Newly Enlightened

No mater which one you bought, you made a good choice as they are both fantastic. I do believe though that for good run time, turbo should be used sparingly. I had a bit of a rant on here about the turbo battery usage, but it all comes down to the numbers, and 11000 lux with large spill for 2 hr in a light this size is unbelievable. If the switch holds up, the rest is almost perfect for my taste.

Bruce

Here are some I took this morning for a reference to judge color rendition. Looks like TEEJ has a good eye. :bow:

003-3_zps8e4c3e97.jpg
[/IMG]
005_zps873de1c2.jpg
[/IMG]
007-2_zps89a23549.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

jomox

Newly Enlightened

I Guess it's just one of those personal preferences, but I'd be very happy with either, it would be handy to have both in one for some situations. But looking at day shots to my eyes the CW still makes the colors more natural. The NW looks yellow/orange like CW usually is with other brands.

RBH

Newly Enlightened

I tried very hard to not overexpose these shots for WOW factor. They are pretty darn close to accurate.

I Guess it's just one of those personal preferences, but I'd be very happy with either, it would be handy to have both in one for some situations. But looking at day shots to my eyes the CW still makes the colors more natural. The NW looks yellow/orange like CW usually is with other brands.

jomox

Newly Enlightened

I did a compare, and indeed the CW does look much more blue now, I can see things better. I still prefer the CW but I don't think either are that natural compared to other tints in other lights I've looked around at, like the NW still looks like it has yellow/orange there and the CW blue, but it's easier to compare with this image I think. A blind test would be interesting, at least for noobs like me.

http://i.imgur.com/9EPxd.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic

I did a compare, and indeed the CW does look much more blue now, I can see things better. I still prefer the CW but I don't think either are that natural compared to other tints in other lights I've looked around at, like the NW still looks like it has yellow/orange there and the CW blue, but it's easier to compare with this image I think. A blind test would be interesting, at least for noobs like me.

http://i.imgur.com/9EPxd.jpg

Comparing with the daylight makes things even more difficult to choose. Any other time it would look like a normal photo. But now the snow has a pinkish hue! It never ends! :laughing:

RBH

Newly Enlightened

Just get one of each and have fun. :clap:

Comparing with the daylight makes things even more difficult to choose. Any other time it would look like a normal photo. But now the snow has a pinkish hue! It never ends! :laughing:

saypat

Enlightened

just seems like a whole lotta light on turbo coming from (4) AA batteries....

jomox

Newly Enlightened

To true, just confusing things with my noobieness, and that includes maybe liking the NW more now. Sorry.

RBH

Newly Enlightened

I think that each tint makes certain things look more natural.

Yourfun2

Enlightened

The same pinkish hue you would see from a HCRI Nichia219. The warmer tints prove to be much better on a rainy night. They also display much more depth. Walk through a grassy field and you will have no doubt which light you like the best.

markr6

Flashaholic

The same pinkish hue you would see from a HCRI Nichia219. The warmer tints prove to be much better on a rainy night. They also display much more depth. Walk through a grassy field and you will have no doubt which light you like the best.

Agreed. I use my lights the most while running and backpacking, so the NW far exceeds the CW. I love my H51, but it's also on my list of lights to sell because of this.

Streamer

Enlightened

One thing I notice is that the NW in every photo is showing the little house brighter than the cool white. Look at the roof on the little house. In every photo it is lit up better and more visible than the cool white renderings.

G8tr

Newly Enlightened
EA4 Cool White - Neutral White Comparison Beam Shots

In the CW and NW high photos, the object to the right of the shed (table, fence, sign, or whatever it is) is barely visible with the NW. It is much more visible with the CW.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I had a hard time comparing the photos due to the fact that I couldn't easily compare them to each other the way they appear in the thread. So I copied the four turbo and high shots of the shed along with the daytime shot into an empty folder. I then set the folder display to be extra large icon. That way I can see all of the pictures side by side. My conclusion is that none of the night shots render accurately. The CW seems to add a blue-ish green cast, and the NW seems to err in the other direction towards a little more brown. That said, my personal opinion is that the NW is closer to the daytime shot. Here in Iowa we see a lot of snow, and I have never seen that blue shade of snow. Yes, the NW is a little on the brown side, but it is closer to daytime reference than the CW is. In the same way, the CW makes the tree trunks look a little mossy. Again, the slightly brown tint from the NW seems to render the trunk more closely. I would really like to see the daytime shots with some sunlight, since the night shots are illuminating with direct light, while the day shots are indirect. I know from my time as a photographer that there is a big difference in appearance of an object between direct and indirect illumination.

As always, interpretations are subjective, and unless one of us has a access to a rather expensive photospectrometer so we can read the various parts of the scene in the middle of the night :twothumbs subjective is all we've got.

Now, does that make it seven angels or nine dancing on the head of that pin?

Yourfun2

Enlightened

In the CW and NW high photos, the object to the right of the shed (table, fence, sign, or whatever it is) is barely visible with the NW. It is much more visible with the CW.
I think it is because the neutral is pointed more to the left.

RBH

Newly Enlightened

I doubt that there is an artificial light source available for any amount of money that can duplicate natural daylight, much less a $60 flashlight. There is nothing scientific here, just a few simple photos to show basic differences in tint. In my opinion you won't go wrong with either version.

OK, I had a hard time comparing the photos due to the fact that I couldn't easily compare them to each other the way they appear in the thread. So I copied the four turbo and high shots of the shed along with the daytime shot into an empty folder. I then set the folder display to be extra large icon. That way I can see all of the pictures side by side. My conclusion is that none of the night shots render accurately. The CW seems to add a blue-ish green cast, and the NW seems to err in the other direction towards a little more brown. That said, my personal opinion is that the NW is closer to the daytime shot. Here in Iowa we see a lot of snow, and I have never seen that blue shade of snow. Yes, the NW is a little on the brown side, but it is closer to daytime reference than the CW is. In the same way, the CW makes the tree trunks look a little mossy. Again, the slightly brown tint from the NW seems to render the trunk more closely. I would really like to see the daytime shots with some sunlight, since the night shots are illuminating with direct light, while the day shots are indirect. I know from my time as a photographer that there is a big difference in appearance of an object between direct and indirect illumination.

As always, interpretations are subjective, and unless one of us has a access to a rather expensive photospectrometer so we can read the various parts of the scene in the middle of the night :twothumbs subjective is all we've got.

Now, does that make it seven angels or nine dancing on the head of that pin?

RBH

Newly Enlightened

That's very possible. With my K40 it would be easy to see the hotspot at that range. With the EA4, not so much.

I think it is because the neutral is pointed more to the left.